Senior Cat With Bad Breath With Kidney Issues.

kathyfromcanada

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi I have recently fostered a cat that is a senior. Although she is very playful. The problem is that she has bad breath. I was advised that because she has kidney issues that they don't
want to do any dental work as a result. She is eating just fine for the moment. Any suggestions?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a senior kitty with CKD and the Vet examined, cleaned her teeth while keeping her under with gas. The Vet cannot keep them under for extensive work like pulling teeth or for lengthy periods of time, but for at least a dental exam to see what is wrong, gas works.

You might want to ask your vet if gas would be appropriate at least for a dental exam.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat has CKD but we don't know at what stage the disease is.
It could be an early stage and this would allow an anesthesia without much concern.
However, with a blood panel a vet could tell you whether your cat is a good candidate for a sedation despite her having CKD.
My cats were put under anesthesia for two or more times (the one in the profile photo for a dozen times) even if they were with CKD.

Katharina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bad breath is one of the symptoms of later stages of kidney disease. It is caused by waste build-up in the body.

I lost my cat Pixie to chronic kidney disease last October.