Senior Cat Questions..need Advice

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
xenathecrazy xenathecrazy - yes, I realized you came to ask specifically for senior health information....I wanted to put to you that sometimes there are other pertinent considerations which, unless highlighted, might never even 'cross our minds'. One example could be the 'connection' that one cat has with another.....and, the potential for 'fallout' (even medical issues fallout) should that connection be severed. It is something that deserves careful consideration and assessment beforehand - and, weighed equally with other aspects such as health issues. Not everyone is aware of the potential for this kind of relationship among cats.

There's a wonderful ongoing rescue story unfolding in "real time" here at TCS. In one 'episode', one cat becomes ill and, on his return from hospitalization, the bond between him and his sister becomes evident....that part's here: My Feral And Rescued Cats. (second paragraph, "Whistle was...")

What might be the effects or fallout if those two were to be separated, I wonder.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a note about the litterbox issue you raise. My first cat (female) lived to almost 20, and she never had a problem with the litterbox. However, when she was about 17, my wonderful vet suggested I get a very low lip 'box'--actually it was a stainless steel large tray from a restaurant supply house--so that she could enter it more easily. He also suggested that I keep a light on at night in the room with the box because elderly cats lose some night vision. With those two 'adjustments,' she used her 'box' until the end with no 'accidents' at all.

To me, 10 is not old, but any issues that arise as the cat ages can be handled as they occur. Many cats remain basically healthy for many years.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Health issues can arise in young and old cats. My girl is almost 10 and is healthy. Getting his health checked per your veterinarian after you adopt him is key. They’ll do a thorough exam (teeth, eyes, temperature etc.) and bloodwork if you choose.

I’ve never had litter box issues with my cats do you shouldn’t have to worry about that. :)