Semi Feral Queen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she has had any changes in her diet. I'll keep an eye on her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay! It’s not life threatening, but she can pass parasites to her babies, so she may need a vet visit soon. We’ll see. If she does, the babies go with her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I hope so too! We’ll see. If she keeps pooping outside the box, then she’s trying to tell you that something is wrong.

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I just wanted to give an update. She hasn't pooped outside the box anymore. So I think it was a one time thing. The kittens are getting really active and curious. Overtime I go to clean the litter box and put food in, the female will creep as close as she can and just watch me. Shelia is becoming a little bit more friendly. When I go to give her food or clean the litter box or just check in, she'll come into the second crate and just sit and watch. Sometimes she falls asleep while I talk to her.

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update. Today while I was putting Shelia's litter box she tried to attack me out of no where. I eventually got her to get in the crate with the kittens by waiting it out to get her food in. I'm at a loss because we were making progress but overtime I think we are improving she goes back to square one. She's still a good mom to the kittens but she still won't let us get near them at all. So I still don't know what to do about that. I was planning to wait until they were four weeks which is next monday to try anything. What should I do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Always move very slowly around her while talking softly. I’m sure she is just being protective of her babies.

I think when you begin letting the babies out of the crate to explore, and mom sees you handling them and interacting with them gently, she will grow more trustworthy.

Mom also has no concept of where she is in reference to the rest of the home. If you can move the crate to a bedroom to let the kittens and mom explore, instead of the bathroom, it might help.

In general, the kittens should be easy to socialize, while mom will take longer.

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How can I let the kittens out without her being out? The two openings of the crates are pushed together.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need to separate the cages and let all of them wander out. That’s why moving them into a separate room is necessary now. If you have no separate room, they will need free rein of the bathroom. It’s the only way to socialize them.

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I understand now. Shelia won't attack now since she will have free rein of the bathroom?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will probably be calmer not being caged. You could leave one cage and the box house in the bathroom so they can go in if they want to.

Just be careful going in and out of the room in case mama tries to dart out.

Also still move slowly and speak softly. She may still be apprehensive.

Once the kittens are comfortable coming out, sit on the floor and let them smell you and climb on you. When mama oberves you are not harming her babies, she should accept you better.

Let me know how this goes!

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update. My husband and I tried to remove one crate with no success. If we tried to separate the two cages, she hiss and try to attack :(. These past couple of days I've been afraid to change the litter box and feed her because she's so unpredictable. I also noticed these past couple of days whenever I go into the room to feed and clean the litterbox the kittens go into their den. Tonight Spike hissed at me :sniffle:. I don't understand what's going on. I talk softly to her, I don't hover over her or make sudden movements and I keep the door closed. I still have yet to even come close to the kittens to socialize them. Please advise me on my next steps.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! This is not going as well as I had hoped.

So she had the kittens on April 9th? That means they will be 4 weeks old on Monday.

They are still very much in the age range to be socialized, but they are taking cues from mama to be fearful.

Is there no way to move them to a whole room? I feel like the only way to get to the kittens is to put them in a space where they can leave the crate to explore.

Are the kittens coming out of the crate into the bathroom at all?

I feel badly that mama is so frightened. I know she would relax more if she could see you handling the kittens.

Something definitely needs to change here. I know this is frustrating!

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I don't have another room. I have four little ones and the bathroom is the only room where I could give her privacy. Greyson the bravest of the kittens tried to approach me through the crate last night, but Shelia(the queen) came over was hovering over him and meowing at him. So he stopped and went back to the other side. It's weird because she'll hiss when I come into the bathroom but will come over to the end that I'm at and meow and rub her herself against the crate still. As so I go to offer my hand for her to smell me she'll hiss or try to swipe/attack. I still speak softly with her but now I am afraid of her when I go to change and clean up everything. I also put in kitten food mixed with water for the kittens. I believe she ate some of it though. Shelia still is stimulating all of them to go to the bathroom though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are a tad young to wean to soft foods yet. This typically occurs at 5-6 weeks, so probably a couple more weeks yet until they are ready to eat.

I see the only solution as removing one of the crates to encourage them to come out, and to create more space for them in the bathroom. It still is not a perfect solution to live in the bathroom for several more weeks.

That, or is there a local no-kill rescue or shelter that will take in mom and kittens? If so, they may work with a foster who has a spare room for Sheila and her kittens. They really need a room in order to be socialized properly.

You might want to look at your options in that direction and make some phone calls.

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! I got to hold two kittens this morning. When I went to clean up the one side this morning and feed her breakfast. The whole family was on that side. When I came in two kittens went back towards the den and Shelia followed. I opened the cage and was able to hold two kittens and they were so nice. They were a little scared, so I put them back. Shelia was watching the whole time while laying down with the other too.