Semi Feral Queen

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
About 6 weeks ago we started feeding this stray that came out of no where. After two weeks of feeding her every night, I noticed she was getting bigger. After another week I knew she was pregnant. We tried to trap but had no success. Last Monday she had her kitchens in my neighbors yard. When I got there with a crate she ran and hid. I took the kittens and set up a trap for her using the babies and a humane trap. It worked. Now they are being fostered. My concern is that she's semi feral. She'll meow at me and sit near me when she eating. She'll also roll over and show her belly to me but if I try to pet her, she roll over and his at me with her ears flattened. Shelia did all of this before the kittens were born. She's being housed in two big dog crates put together. She refuses to use the side that is just a bed and stays on the side with the litter box. My question is how do I get her to trust me more?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Time is the only way. It is wonderful that you have given her and her kittens a home for now!

It can take months for a semi-feral cat to learn to fully trust, but as she sees her kittens become socialized and friendly, and you handling them, it will help her too!

In the meantime, I would not try to pet her. You can put your hand out for her to smell, but let her initiate and show you what she wants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How would I be able to handle the kittens, if she's aggressive? I'm scared of getting bitten. Will she calm down a little once they're older?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once the kittens begin leaving the nest around 3 weeks old, you’ll be able to interact with them and handle them.

Is the dog crate in a room where the mom and kittens will be able to leave the crate to explore eventually?

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No its in the bathroom. It's two big dog crates that is almost 6 1/2 feet long together. The openings are joined together. She will only use one side, which is the same side as the litter box.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens will need to come out and explore eventually, and it’s the only way to socialize them.

What’s on the other end that mom is not using?

If nothing, make her a house using a box with a lid. Cut a hole for a door and put blankets in it. Moms like to “hide” with their babies initially.

Can you post a picture of mama and babies?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a pretty cat! And what sweet little kittens!

The stray I took in 3 years ago had 3 males and one female too!

Do you leave food and water for mom 24/7 in the crate? She needs it while nursing.

Does she let you touch the kittens yet?

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I have both in 24/7. She won't eat the dry kitten food and will only eat wet food. I haven't tried to touch the kittens since we got them in crate to bring them in. I'm scared to get bit.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, you’ll be able to interact with the kittens in a couple more weeks. They’ll be getting active and wanting to come out of the crate for short periods initially. Mama kitty will relax more as they get bigger.

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question. Do cats get bored in the crate? Should I put a toy in there?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she may get bored eventually. That’s why I’m hoping they can all come out in the long term. She’s busy with her kittens right now, but she might like a play mouse. The kittens will definitely play with toys in a few weeks! :)

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update. I added the box to the cage wednesday night and I can tell she was in it because the towel was moved, but she hasn't moved to the other side. She will only eat and then go back to the other side. The kittens eyes are open and they're pretty active. She still hisses every now and again. Sometimes she rubs herself against the cage when she sees me and if i go to pet her she'll hiss with her ear pinned back and swat. So its still very confusing. I have yet to handle the kittens, I'm scared she'll hurt me. Today I noticed one of them licking the pad of it's paw, isn't it to young for them to do that? They are only 12 days old.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens begin self grooming at an early age, though mom continues to groom them for awhile yet. The kittens will begin playing in and around the box soon. You’ll want to start handling the kittens in another week or so.

Kismetlovecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Today when we got home my husband went to check on Shelia and the babies. She moved all the babies into the box/den. He noticed she pooped outside the litter box. When I looked closer, I noticed it had a little blood in it and it was lighter in color that it normally is. I've attached a couple of pics of it.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I figured she would eventually take her babies to her new box house. That’s good. She wants privacy!

Has her diet changed in any way? What foods is she eating?

I’m not sure why she pooped outside the box, other than her tummy didn’t feel well. She may have parasites. That’s usually the cause of soft poop with blood. That or an intestinal bacterial infection, which is common in strays because they ate goodness knows what before.

She will need an antibiotic like metronidazole to clear it up. The metronidazole cures both infection and parasites, but you'll need to get it from a vet.

But observe her poops for another day or two. If this continues with no dietary changes, she needs meds. If it stops, then she just had an irritation.

Keep us posted!