Semi-feral cat hiding spot quandary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I know I just posted yesterday but I do have a question. Recently Kubo has been ignoring me when I bring his food. Even going as far as to hide himself from view of me. But only during feeding. Once I leave, he eats it. I think I moved too fast bringing the food closer to me and now he associates eating with stress. I waited two hours last night and he wouldn't budge. What should I do?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Since he is eating, he is okay physically. Often with cats like this it can be one step forward and two back. Try going back to what you were doing and see if that assures him that all is safe.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Putting the food further away seems to have helped. I think he also disliked the new food we were giving him. We went back to the old stuff and he seems a lot more eager to eat.
How do your cats feel about the rain, now that spring has officially begun?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It has not rained much out here, so I am probably the wrong one to ask. They are indoor only and don't react to it and we don't have thunder or lightning really. My ferals all seem to know where to go, even if it is not to the shelters I have for them.

So glad that you got a better response. Having the "wrong" food is a big no no in the cat world.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How do your cats feel about the rain, now that spring has officially begun?
None of my cats have ever really liked it much. Thunderstorms are an absolute NO-NO, and cause for complete hiding under a bed or in a closet. However, now that Feeby is 16+yo, she pretty much 'yawns' at quiet rains - has even stayed on our screened in patio during them if the wind isn't blowing. We haven't had any thunderstorms since last summer, so not sure what will happen from that aspect this year.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so used to dogs, or at least my late one, Angel. She would eat anything, including chocolate, if you weren't careful! Lesson learned! We are doing a slow transition to Authority, which he is responding well to it.

We get lots of rain and thunderstorms around here (I live near the ocean and those storms can be fearsome) and I am curious to see how he reacts now that he is inside. So far the rain just seems to make him sleepier.

Side note: I experienced my first hairball and thought it was diarrhea... I always thought hairballs were a lot less...wet...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Aww.....he is relaxed and safe and understands that so the rain is not bothering him. He is also probably enjoying not being out in the rain and having to take shelter.

Hairballs can be very wet. Cats do spit them up from time to time and there are products like Laxatone that will help lubricate their system.