Semi-feral cat hiding spot quandary

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! we finally got our semi-feral inside two weeks ago. After we caught him, we brought in his outdoor house for comfort. It is sitting on top of our dryer. Kubo's safe spot is between this house and the wall.

This means when I come in for socialization time and feeding, he can pretty much withdraw and not even have to look at me. He is eating (somewhat begrudgingly) in front of me, and will kind of slink around me but primarily he camps out in that corner. Obviously it hasn't been that long since he has come into our home and he is an adult, so we expected some intense avoidance and I am not trying to rush him into anything.

My question is: Going forward, is this setup going to be an issue in getting him to interact with me? I don't want to take away his safe spot, but as this is my first time socializing a cat, I'm not sure just how important it is for Kubo to be able to watch me while I'm in his space.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he have the option to check out the house then go back to his safe place?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Given what you have set up, he has established his 'safe zone'. So, on that note, let him be. He doesn't need to see you (although, I am sure he will eventually 'peek' even if he is not yet doing so). You need to be able to stay in that area, just so he can hear you - be that reading a book (out loud, but softly) while sitting on the floor, multiple times a day.

Not sure I totally understand the set up that you have, but if it is on the top of the dryer, you might want to bring that down to floor level.

If he is eating in front of you, albeit begrudgingly, that is actually pretty promising. Be forewarned, that could change over time if he was particularly hungry, and as he learns he has food, he could retreat a bit. He needs a litter box close by as well, not to mention food and water available at all times.

You are also going to have consider how to handle the situation when you need to use the washer and dryer - that will for sure freak him out. So, a Plan B might be necessary.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he have the option to check out the house then go back to his safe place?
Yes! Both house and a cardboard box are accessible

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Given what you have set up, he has established his 'safe zone'. So, on that note, let him be. He doesn't need to see you (although, I am sure he will eventually 'peek' even if he is not yet doing so). You need to be able to stay in that area, just so he can hear you - be that reading a book (out loud, but softly) while sitting on the floor, multiple times a day.

Not sure I totally understand the set up that you have, but if it is on the top of the dryer, you might want to bring that down to floor level.

If he is eating in front of you, albeit begrudgingly, that is actually pretty promising. Be forewarned, that could change over time if he was particularly hungry, and as he learns he has food, he could retreat a bit. He needs a litter box close by as well, not to mention food and water available at all times.

You are also going to have consider how to handle the situation when you need to use the washer and dryer - that will for sure freak him out. So, a Plan B might be necessary.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles
Sorry I know the description was a bit confusing. I have attached a few pictures of the setup. He has three hiding spots, two water sources, and two litter boxes, though he only seems to use one? And a scratching post and toys, though he hasn't used them yet. He has water available at all times but I had been under the impression I was supposed to feed him twice a day, so I have been coming in to bring him food plus to hang out. I can for sure move the cat house down! Can you explain to me why? I had thought giving him a place to hide higher up would have him feel more secure. As for using the washer/dryer, we have access to another one, so thankfully all good on that front!

Attachments

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry I know the description was a bit confusing. I have attached a few pictures of the setup. He has three hiding spots, two water sources, and two litter boxes, though he only seems to use one? And a scratching post and toys, though he hasn't used them yet. He has water available at all times but I had been under the impression I was supposed to feed him twice a day, so I have been coming in to bring him food plus to hang out. I can for sure move the cat house down! Can you explain to me why? I had thought giving him a place to hide higher up would have him feel more secure. As for using the washer/dryer, we have access to another one, so thankfully all good on that front!
If he is using the cat house on top of the dryer, then leave it there! I was just worried about whether or not he was using it - and, wondering how that would go over if you needed to use the washer and dryer. Since you don't need to use them, all sounds good!

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Awesome! I am sure I will have a million more very obvious questions. This whole process has been very stressful for both me and Kubo as I am kind of stumbling around in the dark, and I feel so bad for him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something just crossed my mind - do you know if he is using the cat house at all? If you are not sure, try placing some cat treats inside and see if they get eaten. Maybe do that in between feedings when you are going in there to just spend time with him. Just let him know that you are leaving him treats - maybe shake the bag first?

There are some members on this site that have dealt extensively with trapping/socializing ferals/semi-ferals. I hope they come along soon and offer you tips from their first hand experiences!!

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He uses it! Just the other night when he did eat in front of me, he went in afterwards to sleep. I think I heard him dreaming? They were very cute noises. But typically he chills behind it. I guess he feels like there are more escape routes that way. I will try the bag shaking with the treats!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is one lucky cat and you are doing a great job. I agree with the other posts and from your last post it seems as if he is coming around already. I had an adult male semi feral sit on top of the mantle for two weeks years ago. Apparently he did eat and use a litter box when no one was around, but otherwise that was his spot. He did transition into a really lovely pet and lived out his life indoors.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sigh. My mom called the lawn care company and they came and scared Kubo so badly with the leaf blowers, he shoved himself into the box we used to close off the underside of the cabinet. I stayed with him the entire time they were here, but I think I'm going to have to leave him be for the rest of the day. Very Not Happy :cloudy:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is very par for the course. You did the right thing to stay with him and to let him have some quiet time now that they are gone. He will reset himself once he sees that this is not an hourly occurrence.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Popping back in with another question! Every night, Kubo seems to see something outside that makes him cry to me. He looks out the window and then comes to meow loud-ish multiple times, and then look at me. I know he is trying to tell me something... I see his tail flicking when he's looking out the window. Are whatever critters out there stressing him out or is he lamenting the fact he can't go hunt them? Should I close the blinds at night or will that make him even more bored? Funny thing is, after he does that routine, and I ask him what is the matter?, he usually lets me know he is happy I am here, by sitting or lying down with his eyes almost closed, yawning, the whole thing. Cat behavior is confusing! 😵

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As far as my cat go, that would mean that they saw something outside that interested them or bothered them. They never go out, so whether or not they want to is a moot point. The fact that he relaxes once he sees you and closes his eyes means that he is fine, he is happy that you are there, and he doesn't really want to engage what is outside all that much. He probably doesn't want outside all that much either given his improved lifestyle in your house. I would take it as a cat comment on something...and he seems to think that you know what he is saying given his response to you.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As Kubo and I get closer, I have begun to think more about how to approach making contact with him. I have read a few articles and they all say slightly different things, going between waiting for the cat to bump you for pets to trying a padded stick with feliway. Do you guys have a particular method you like best?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You might try the padded stick first. If you use your hands, have sturdy gloves on in case he reacts. He may view the padded stick as a toy and that might engage him with you a little bit more and move your relationship along.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He ate out of my hand just now!!!! I can't believe it. I didn't think that was going to happen at all, but he went for it. Ahhhhh!!!!!!:party:

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today marks a month that we have had Kubo in the house, so I thought I'd post a little progress report. He no longer hides when I come in the room, though sometimes he still goes to his safe spot. He goes to the bathroom and grooms in front of me, sits with his back turned, closes his eyes around me and will eat treats very close to my hand, which is all amazing. He is vocal with me and seems to like a bit of eye contact. I have even seen him lay on my sweater two or three times. We are still working on touching, playing, and generally being comfortable around me though. I have never seen him walk with his tail up, he still hesitates to come for his food during feedings, and won't come for snacks unless I leave some close to him at first. He has seemed less energetic to me these past few days, even thumping his tail at me. I know he is very unstimulated and I think still stressed. I am definitely still learning how to socialize and he is still learning how to be an indoor cat. We have made significant progress, but we still have a ways to go in terms of getting him happy and feeling comfy around me. Thank you for helping us thus far!