Semi Feral Cat. FIV and Renal Failure.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's reassuring to hear she lived so long as an FIV cat with kidney problems as well. Did she have to stay at the vets while the feeding tube was in place?
Some vets were really astonished that she still had borderline kidney levels after so many years of disease.

The first tube she had was the PEG tube. This was placed about a month before her radiation therapy for an oral SCC. The vets placed it as an early preparation to when she wouldn't have been able to eat on her own before or after the treatment. She only stayed at the facility a week, when she was treated, the rest of the time she stayed with us at home.
Actually she managed to eat on her own, but the vets pushed me into using that tube in order to keep it working and... flowing. I used it for about a month.
One nigh tI came home from work, the tube was on the floor! It had fallen off on its own, and no vet in my area was able to replace it, so she lived without tube for a long while, until her oral SCC got to a point when she really couldn't eat on her own, so we had to resort to the E-tube, but this solution was short-lived, Lola died three days later.

Lola always stayed with us, no need to stay at the vets. Feeding her through those tubes was easy and handy, it could even be done while she was sleeping.

This time last week I was convinced that Albert only had a short time left to live, but the syringe feeding has really turned him around. He's been asking for food every few hours today. I'm so happy that he's got his appetite back again. I syringe fed him some wet treats with his medication mixed in, but apart from that he's been able to eat normally.

Thanks for your support everyone!
That's great news!!! ☺

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe I haven't translated it properly. The Japanese is 止血剤. Literally Stop Blood Formula. It's been prescribed to one of my other cats when she had a mouth infection that was making her gums bleed. It's usually given along with an antibiotic.

Albert's mouth is fine now, so I guess it was prescribed because of the high quantities of blood in his urine. What do you think, is there a better word than hemostatic that makes more sense? 
No, I think the translation is spot on. I didn't realize he had blood in his urine, only bacteria. That's probably IS the reason for it.