Selecting A Cat Breed?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I ever got a purebred cat it would be a British Shorthair. I fell in love the first time I saw a photo of one. I love their chubby cheeks. I've never seen one in person, so I didn't know they existed until recently.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Japanese bobtails are very active and friendly cats. They also often play fetch and have a special language of chirps, mews, etc.. to talk to their humans with. Most come with a short "bunny fur" like coat, although they are breeding longhairs now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Japanese bobtails are very active and friendly cats. They also often play fetch and have a special language of chirps, mews, etc.. to talk to their humans with. Most come with a short "bunny fur" like coat, although they are breeding longhairs now.
I've read about them but you know how you look at a cat and just feel a certain attraction. I don't really get it for the JBT. Not that they aren't beautiful cats that I'm sure my wonderful pets! But I don't know I just don't get that pull towards them like I do with the Oriental.

Other breeds I was looking at was the Bambino and the Kinkalow. Ive seen multiple videos and read things about them that seem attractive as well.

I was told they get around equally as good as a normal cat. Is this correct?
Energy level wise how are they?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
With the dwarf breeds like Kinkalow and Bambino, if responsibly bred, they can walk and run around with almost ferret-like agility. However, they are pre-disposed to genetic disorders including lordosis and pectus, so you really have to be sure that you trust your breeder that they don't breed two short-legged cats together, but instead a long-legged (off-standard) Bambino/Kinkalow with a short-legged. Note that if you want a short-legged cat, you'll have to pay quite a bit more, however, a long-legged Kinkalow or Bambino will have the same personality as the short-legged cats. Energy-wise, they are more average. Certainly not as active or as vocal as a Siamese off-shoot breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Noted.

I'm just still in love with the oriental short hair.

I've been wanting one for awhile now. And knowing that the "they don't do good with dogs" is a rumor really. Ames me relived.

I'm just smitten with them and their gangly yet elegant looks big ears and elf like look. Paired with quizzical expressions and silly demnior.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Noted.

I'm just still in love with the oriental short hair.

I've been wanting one for awhile now. And knowing that the "they don't do good with dogs" is a rumor really. Ames me relived.

I'm just smitten with them and their gangly yet elegant looks big ears and elf like look. Paired with quizzical expressions and silly demnior.
No cat is really great with dogs right when they first meet... it takes time. I think that with the Oriental the introduction might even go faster because those cats are so intelligent, they'll be able to learn faster that the dog won't harm them.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
A Siamese (or affiliated sub breed) probably fits, but since you don't like blue eyes (a shame, Siamese eyes can sometimes glow like polished gold!), the suggestion of an oriental or Abyssinian makes sense. Two other options are an Ocicat ( a breed developed by crossing Siamese and Abyssinian that looks like a little ocelot, and has the energetic personality of its parent breeds)

PS: The cats breeds in this thread are highly intelligent and can potentially be taught to say some English words, rather like an African Grey parrot... (my housemate and I have taught her several words, and she's just turned 11 months a couple of days ago)