Selecting A Cat Breed?

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off let me start by saying I have ALWAYS had rescue cats. I've fostered over 40 cats including special needs cats and did TNR.
I have TNR'ed over 700 cats.
And I have had many rescue cats as personal pets over the years. Most special needs.

I am all for rescue but have decided this time I want a purebred cat from a breeder.

I am seeking to get a companion to my young adult domestic shorthair.

I'm wanting a breed that is VERY active! Lots of energy! The kind of energy that drives other people crazy.
Also that is vocal and likes to talk to you.
A breed that is friendly and comfortable being handled constantly and isn't shy and would be able to keep up on a busy household. I have show breeding and sport dogs "Great Danes" to be exact. The cats have an area, multiple actually to get up and away from the dogs if need be.

Also a breed that doesn't have super long hair. No big puff balls cannot do it, to much hair

So mid length to no hair (am familiar with hairless cat care) is a must.

Obviously every animal is their own being. And not every animal in a certain breed is going to be exactly as "written".
But I'm just trying to get a feel out and so I can do research on different breeds and eventually make a decision.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
An active, talkative breed? A Siamese-family cat (Siamese, Oriental, Colorpoint Shorthair, Balinese, Javanese, or Snowshoe- these cats have very similar personalities, because they're all off-shoots of the Siamese, but different appearances) might be a good match. Balinese and Javanese are long-hairs, but they don't have a thick undercoat like other longhairs, so their coat care is more manageable. I think the Siamese family cats are also generally more amenable to handling than other active breeds, and they are certainly the most talkative! I'd reccommend going to a cat show near you (Show Calendar) where you can meet reputable breeders and interact with the cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Abyssinian. I have one and he's
24/7 :doh::doh: He's 7 years old now. He's not excessively talkative. Some Abys are. Many Abys are super friendly and like to be handled. I can brush my Aby's teeth, trim his claws, and give him medicine when needed and he just lets me do it. He sheds a lot, though, for a short haired cat :dunno:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with abyeb abyeb completely, and I'll second the suggestion of a Snowshoe - they embody everything that you could possibly wish for. They sleep about four minutes a day, they can open any latch (and will actually figure out how to unlock some types of doors which don't require a key), they have a 125 decibel Siamese meow, and can vocalise for more than an hour on a single breath, they climb curtains and will leap to the top of your head from a curtain rod, even in complete darkness, and they'll often alleviate that complete darkness by leaping at the light switches and turning the lights off and on at random, so that your neighbours think that they're living next to the Amityville Horror House.

Snowshoes love water, so you'll be supporting your town's economic well-being by leaving the taps running a little 24 hours a day, and if you bathe rather than shower, they'll come right into the tub with you, where they'll splash around happily for about fifteen seconds before realising that they've gotten wet, and will then climb your chest in manic mode - all claws unretracted - in an effort to escape the Deadly Wetness. If you enjoy surprises, the Snowshoe is the perfect choice, because there's no thermostat they can't adjust, and you'll never know when you might return to a 110º home in mid-July, or to a deep-freeze in mid-January.

Snowshoes are excellent jumpers, but they're also very modest, and will pretend that they can't jump, and that they must therefor climb your legs to reach the top of your head (if you routinely wear nylons, you should look into a wholesaler who sells by the thousand, for convenience). Having a Snowshoe is very healthy, in that they absolutely must sit right next to your plate at the table for every meal, resulting in a great increase in your fibre intake because of their inch-thick undercoats, which they shed 12 months a year. They're also the perfect choice for those who wish to trim their waistline, since you'll spend several hours each day picking up the things which they're constantly pushing onto the floor.

They adore other cats, however, and seem to make Friends almost instantly, even with the most reticent older kitties. Dogs, not so much... mine has cornered my veterinarian's English Mastiff in the kitchen a time or two. The amount you save on electricity will pay for the Snowshoe's little eccentricities very quickly, however, because you'll never again need to run your garbage disposal (not that you could after your Snowshoe had pushed silverware into it and "accidentally" stepped on the "on" switch), since Snowshoes will eat virtually anything - eggs in any form, pizza, little bits of diced Habanero pepper, mint jelly (and the lamb chops for which it was intended, of course), cantaloupe, baked beans (do NOT let them eat baked beans), Campbell's Tomato Soup, pencil erasers (naturally), and virtually anything which is softer than their teeth (to this day, mine has never eaten a rock, a ball bearing, or a diamond).

So, to recap, absolutely - get a Snowshoe. If you're one of those people who loves paper cuts, stubbing their toe, and leg cramps, get two of them! Pay no attention to the last verse of the Moo Shu Snowshoe Song.

Beautiful Snowshoe, you are so sweet,
You're Siamese but you have four white feet;
You've got the Nose Dots, Skunky Stripe too,
Beautiful Snowshoe, I'll always Love you.

Snowshoes are lovely, Snowshoes are smart,
Snowshoes make rainbows when they poop and fart,
Little black ears and fuzzy black tail,
I'd never shove you in the garbage pail.

Snowshoes are just like other Siamese,
That means their owners can't do as they please,
At night when I want to lay down my head,
One rotten Snowshoe takes up the whole bed.

If you Love Snowshoes, listen to me,
You'd benefit from some psychiatry;
When they commit you, I will assume,
There'll be no Snowshoes in your rubber room.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with abyeb abyeb completely, and I'll second the suggestion of a Snowshoe - they embody everything that you could possibly wish for. They sleep about four minutes a day, they can open any latch (and will actually figure out how to unlock some types of doors which don't require a key), they have a 125 decibel Siamese meow, and can vocalise for more than an hour on a single breath, they climb curtains and will leap to the top of your head from a curtain rod, even in complete darkness, and they'll often alleviate that complete darkness by leaping at the light switches and turning the lights off and on at random, so that your neighbours think that they're living next to the Amityville Horror House.

Snowshoes love water, so you'll be supporting your town's economic well-being by leaving the taps running a little 24 hours a day, and if you bathe rather than shower, they'll come right into the tub with you, where they'll splash around happily for about fifteen seconds before realising that they've gotten wet, and will then climb your chest in manic mode - all claws unretracted - in an effort to escape the Deadly Wetness. If you enjoy surprises, the Snowshoe is the perfect choice, because there's no thermostat they can't adjust, and you'll never know when you might return to a 110º home in mid-July, or to a deep-freeze in mid-January.

Snowshoes are excellent jumpers, but they're also very modest, and will pretend that they can't jump, and that they must therefor climb your legs to reach the top of your head (if you routinely wear nylons, you should look into a wholesaler who sells by the thousand, for convenience). Having a Snowshoe is very healthy, in that they absolutely must sit right next to your plate at the table for every meal, resulting in a great increase in your fibre intake because of their inch-thick undercoats, which they shed 12 months a year. They're also the perfect choice for those who wish to trim their waistline, since you'll spend several hours each day picking up the things which they're constantly pushing onto the floor.

They adore other cats, however, and seem to make Friends almost instantly, even with the most reticent older kitties. Dogs, not so much... mine has cornered my veterinarian's English Mastiff in the kitchen a time or two. The amount you save on electricity will pay for the Snowshoe's little eccentricities very quickly, however, because you'll never again need to run your garbage disposal (not that you could after your Snowshoe had pushed silverware into it and "accidentally" stepped on the "on" switch), since Snowshoes will eat virtually anything - eggs in any form, pizza, little bits of diced Habanero pepper, mint jelly (and the lamb chops for which it was intended, of course), cantaloupe, baked beans (do NOT let them eat baked beans), Campbell's Tomato Soup, pencil erasers (naturally), and virtually anything which is softer than their teeth (to this day, mine has never eaten a rock, a ball bearing, or a diamond).

So, to recap, absolutely - get a Snowshoe. If you're one of those people who loves paper cuts, stubbing their toe, and leg cramps, get two of them! Pay no attention to the last verse of the Moo Shu Snowshoe Song.

Thank you for the Moo Shu Snowshoe song. That helped make my day. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I think you may have just sold me on one!
I was laughing so hard reading this! This sounds like the perfect cat!
I love cats that are crazy!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think you may have just sold me on one!
I was laughing so hard reading this! This sounds like the perfect cat!
I love cats that are crazy!
Snowshoes aren't recognized as a breed by the Cat Fanciers Association (which is the show calendar I provided you a link to above), so if you want to see some Snowshoes before settling on a breeder by going to a show (which I highly, highly recommend), you'll want to pick a show from either The International Cat Association or the American Cat Fanciers Association, if you happen to live in the States, I'll post a link to both show calendars below. :thumbsup:

TICA Show Calendar

Show Schedule

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Snowshoes aren't recognized as a breed by the Cat Fanciers Association (which is the show calendar I provided you a link to above), so if you want to see some Snowshoes before settling on a breeder by going to a show (which I highly, highly recommend), you'll want to pick a show from either The International Cat Association or the American Cat Fanciers Association, if you happen to live in the States, I'll post a link to both show calendars below. :thumbsup:

TICA Show Calendar

Show Schedule
I would love to go to a show and meet the cats.
HOWEVER I have a medical alert dog that accompanies me everywhere I go. He's specifically trained to assist me.

Taking a service dog or any dog really to cat show even though legally I can just seems a bit...
not smart

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Priceless account of the Snowshoe, 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine , although I presume it is somewhat exaggerated.

You just sold me on having a Snowshoe when Turbo dies at 25 (which is still 15 years away).
Start this clip:

at about 2:45. Donald O'Connor does a very good impression of what it's like to own a Snowshoe, albeit in slow motion.

A little exaggerated? Only a trifle. These cats have a reputation which is wholly deserved. They're incredibly intelligent, and consummate problem-solvers; they have tool-using skills in the same fashion as many primates (I have a few small area rugs here and there; Moo Shu will dash across the floor, leap onto an area rug, and then ride it across the hardwood floor like some demented skateboarder, and will then drag it back to the center of the room, to repeat the process ad nauseam), and the same death-defying abilities as the Wallendas (mine will scale a bookcase, jump to the top of a door, and then leap to another door as though playing The Floor Is Lava).

Truth be told, they're genuinely delightsome companions, and especially so if you're an Imp, a Lesser Dæmon, or one of the Seven Princes of Hell.

hornz.gif

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just realized something... and it's an issue.

They have blue eyes.

To you guys this may seem okay but to me it's terrifying and let me tell you why.

When I was in 9th grade I stayed the night at a friends house. Her step mom had two cats. A rag doll and a Himalayan.
The rag doll true to form was sweet and didn't cause any issues.

This other cat however... is a different story. He was BIZZARE from the get go with these huge bright blue eyes as big as a US quarter dollar coin no joke.
He would just stare into your soul and it weirded me out.

Okay so you're thinking "big deal"...
No okay so this freaking cat....

I got up in the middle of the night to pee in this HUGE house. And I go out to the hallway and he's standing there and all I can see is the outline of his massive fluffy body and huge blue eyes. And he hisses at me then lunges and chases me down the hallway into another room where he remained outside the door growling at me until I finally had to scream for someone to help me at 2am.

Apparently this has happened on more than one occasion and they neglected to tell me that he was evil.

I am completely freaked out by blue eyed cats and dogs now.
I cannot do it.
It send me into a panic.

ihave4cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would have said Siamese cat as I´ve had them in the past and they are great, but if you cannot find one without blue eyes than I´m not sure if Bengal cat would be good, I don´t have experience with them, I heard they are extremely active. Maybe I am wrong, I´m sure someone who has one could explain them better.

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know a bunch about bengals. Except that they seem to be extremely popular for some reason.

ihave4cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they are popular because they have extremely pretty markings, and I also heard they are very intelligent and are very vocal and active.

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked into bengals awhile ago just for kicks. People are obsessed with their marking pattern which to me isn't all that big a deal. I mean it's cool and all I guess LOL. Just look like a cat to me.
HOWEVER what did catch my eye was the Charcoal Bengals THOSE ARE STUNNING like I show here.

This is a charcoal brown

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How about an Oriental? They come in all colors, so they have different colored eyes, but as Siamese cousins, they still have that Snowshoe-like purrsonality.

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about an Oriental? They come in all colors, so they have different colored eyes, but as Siamese cousins, they still have that Snowshoe-like purrsonality.
That's what I wanted to get intiallaly!
I really have my heart set on one... I just had someone tell me they didn't do well with dogs which is why I asked this question.

I want to make sure that any animal that comes into my home is comfortable and happy.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
That's what I wanted to get intiallaly!
I really have my heart set on one... I just had someone tell me they didn't do well with dogs which is why I asked this question.

I want to make sure that any animal that comes into my home is comfortable and happy.
I don't think they'll have any more issue adapting to dogs than other cats, as long as you take the time to introduce them properly.

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think they'll have any more issue adapting to dogs than other cats, as long as you take the time to introduce them properly.
My dream kitty is a Blue male OSH with green eyes