Seeking topical antibiotic, anti-infection, analgesic, anti-itch, pain relieving, wound healing for cats who bite and scratch open wounds.

geercom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried coconut oil, vetericyn+, antibiotic, and steroid shots from the vet, and I can't get the new Atopica liquid they prescribed into his mouth. Is there a perfect topical gel, cream, or ointment that heals these wounds? He doesn't go outside ever, and there are no other animals in the house.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You may want to try something like this but make sure it's meant for cats. I use this for my boy's wound when sometimes he bites till it bleeds. I find it effective for my boy's use.

There are a few brands out there and just do some search on it.
They either come with a dropper cover or spray. See which one is best for use.

IMG_9079.JPG

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with tabbytom tabbytom I have used colloidal silver spray for cat's on my boy's. It seems to work well on cuts my daughter also used this when her boy's got into a fight and one had a couple of sore looking scratches. Mine do not like the spray sound so if I need to use it I put some on a cotton wool ball and dab it on.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, colloidal silver seems to work well, but the issue is, what is causing the wounds? If you are looking at getting Atopica, this sounds like a recurring issue, like skin allergies or something. If that's the case, the colloidal silver may help a slight bit, but any exposure to the allergan will just set it off again. Have you discovered what is causing the problem?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet if you can have the Atopica compounded into a different form. Wedgwood Pharmacy lists a flavored chew treat option: Cyclosporine Chew Treat A local compounding pharmacy may have something similar.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also see if chamomile tea will help, it's excellent for all kinds of skin "ouchies." Buy the plain, unblended chamomile tea bags at the grocery store. That way you know you're getting German chamomile that is medicinally active and safe for cats. The English variety, that grows in many gardens is neither. Chill the tea in the fridge, and swab on with a soft cloth or cotton ball as needed. Chamomile is mildly antibiotic and antibacterial, and is wonderfully soothing! I've used it on cats, dogs, horses, a sheep, and many humans with good effect. It is not expensive, so certainly worth trying.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had good results with Vetericyn Plus Feline Antimicrobial Hydrogel. You can find it on Amazon.
Edit: sorry, just realized you tried that already.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people have luck with cold laser therapy for healing wounds - a lot of vet clinics are offering it now. It’s not very expensive, around $15-40 usually for small wounds.