Sebastian is Back at the Vet...Suspected Pancreatitis Again :(

beenaners

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have a feeling that a lot of vets don't recommend raw for that reason--it's hard to get right, and they don't want to see pets who are raw fed by owners throwing random pieces of only muscle meat into the dish.

You might tell your vet about the existence of premixes the next time you see him. It would be interesting to get his reaction.
I will.  I think what they don't understand is that any one thinking of going raw for their pets has most likely done a fair amount of research already.  I mean it is way more convenient to open a can or bag of dry food than to go through the whole process of making it, and the decision is usually made after we see a health crisis in one of our pets and are looking for ways to make things better!  It's certainly not an easy process, not just the making but the effort of trying to switch them over to it!  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pancreatitis in cats is common in cats, so there is a good chance your kitty was not misdiagnosed, but if the symptoms come and go, I'd question the diagnosis.

Unfortunately, unless it is a "bleeding" ulcer, the only way to know for sure is an Endoscope down the throat to take pictures of the stomach. It won't show up in an x-ray.

Unfortunately, the nature of pancreatitis is also very up and down. There a good days/weeks and bad days/weeks. Sebastian could be great for a month and a little off for a week. Lately, it seems the off times are usually caused by stress and thus aggravating his condition. Although this is rare, as I keep things very routine and the home quiet with minimal stress triggers. It's the things I can't control - the neighbors doing renovation work, the loud helicopter hovering over my development to survey an intersection, etc.

Hmm...okay. When I did a quick search, some sites say that ultrasounds and/or x-rays may be used to diagnose.  :dk:
http://www.vetinfo.com/cat-stomach-ulcers.html
http://www.merckmanuals.com/pethealth/cat_disorders_and_diseases/digestive_disorders_of_cats/disorders_of_the_stomach_and_intestines_in_cats.html

If the vet knows to look for it, a Sonogram is the way to go. I have no idea what they are talking about when they say they can detect an ulcer... which is simply a tear in the soft tissue... on a standard x-ray that doesn't show soft tissue.

Sadly, too many doctors just don't recognize they symptoms of particular illnesses when we bring them our pets. The vet I just brought my poor kitty too never did diagnose "Salmonella poisoning". *I* had to figure that one out on my own, which I did the moment she suggested it might be "cancer". (Trust me, if you vet uses the C-word.... RUN!)

An ulcer that is to the point of bleeding should show up on an ultrasound.  So much with ultrasounds depends on the ability and experience of the person that is reading the ultrasound.  I remember that LDG's kitty developed a bleeding ulcer when he had cancer,  I don't know how they knew that he had it though.

Ulcers:   give pepcid!

Ulcers / bleeding ulcers are detectable on ultrasound, there is just no need for an invasive, expensive, endoscopy.

The treatment can include pepcid, but it depends on where the ulcers are. If they are duodenal, the treatment is not an antacid, it is sucralfate.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay....this is weird. Sebastian now has soft stools....formed, but soft, and lighter in color. Absolutely nothing has changed in his regime. We're at the tail end of his three-week beef rotation and did not have any problems. However, Sebastian did snag some of Caesar's dry food a day or two ago (it might have been yesterday). I turned my back for 10 seconds and he inhaled probably a teaspoon or more. Since I no longer feed Sebastian dry food, could this have given him soft stools? I'm inclined to say yes.  :dk:
Yes, the dry food can do that, especially if he hasn't had any for some time. Tuxedo got diarrhea from eating Fancy Feast, and it never used to do that - it's just been a long time, and his body isn't used to ... whatever's in it.

Last edited:

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And some ulcers are treated with an antibiotic - I agree about the ultrasound.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, I have this confused with H Pylori which is not that common in cats, evidently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the dry food can do that, especially if he hasn't had any for some time. Tuxedo got diarrhea from eating Fancy Feast, and it never used to do that - it's just been a long time, and his body isn't used to ... whatever's in it.
Thanks. Yes, it was over three months that he didn't have dry food, and then all of a sudden he ate probably over a teaspoon of it. I've been making sure he doesn't get to the dry food, and the diarrhea went away.

For inquiring minds, here is what is currently keeping Sebastian stable (and, yes, he gets ALL of this!).  
   He continues to do well. 

Medications/Supplements

Prednisolone

Cerenia

Pepcid

S. Boulardii

Probiotics

Quercetin

Chinese meds

Fish oil

L-lysine

Coconut oil

B12 injections

Sub-q fluids

RO purified water

(Metronidazole and buprenorphine are only considered for more severe pancreatitis flares)

Diet

Single protein rotation every three weeks

Focusing on “cooling” or “neutral” proteins based on TCM consult and diagnosis

Gets high quality canned and home-cooked only (supplemented with Balance It)

No dry food

My journey with the protein rotation is here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/274500/best-rotation-to-prevent-food-allergies

Mental Health

Low stress environment

Lots of love and encouragement

Play time

Feliway

Bach's Rescue Remedy for Pets (as needed)

I have used Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences in the past

I gave this list to our traditional vet so she could update their records. She has no qualms with any of it except the protein rotation, but she's fine with it as long as he's doing well and that I have some novel proteins in "reserve" to fall back on. I am also scheduling a follow-up with the TCM vet to go over everything and ask questions.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...thanks to you both. There is a lot of wood knocking going on over here! 
  Why don't we have a knock wood smiley? Can I request that? 

wendykins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi GoHolistic,
From personal experience--just a few mouthfuls of dry kibble can completely change my diabetic Addison's stool--softer and smells completely different. I don't feed dry as a rule to any of my three cats, except for my other boy, Harry, who is an extremely stubborn 15 year old, and insists on a few bites a couple of times a day as a treat food. I've tried weaning him off completely, but let's just say my eardrums just can't take it. Not from a loud teed-off siamese. I just can't do it. And Harry doesn't have bad poops from the dry that Addison does. But if Addison gets a hold of any, it's a stinky situation. Thank goodness it doesn't happen often!

My tabby girl on the other hand? Stomach of iron. Ate my ice cream and stole some of my lasagna--mostly just the cheese. Topped that off with half a thousand-legger (yuck-left the other half in the tub.) Poop is still good.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the note, @Wendykins. Yeh, it was definitely the dry food that caused the loose stools.

Funny about the "thousand-legger"....LOL. I oftentimes find bug legs scattered about, but no bug body! Each of my three cats has a role in bug annihilation - Sebastian watches/chases it, Caesar tortures it, and Boo eats it. 

moddycat28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ever since my love of my life feline, named ModdyCat, was diagnosed with a non-operable cancerous ear polyp, I've been giving him 2 level scoops of Viralys by Vetoquinol Lysine powder, in his food once in the morning in his 1/2 can of food, and the second scoop in the other 1/2 can of food at night. ModdyCat is a 12lb. MaineCoon. This stuff is the BOMB!! It has helped him incredibly with both his symptoms (tearing &  itching at his ear, the tumor almost at a standstill from growing) and for letting him be the feeling better, peppy 12 year old "kid" that he is! GOD BLESS my "little man" and try it for yourself and see how it works for Sebastian. Good luck and God bless....Danielle & ModdyCat  >^..^<

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
moddycat28, I appreciate the post. Forgive me for saying that it sounds like an advertisement! Sebastian is already on l-lysine for his FHV. I opted to go with a human grade version that is not flavored.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I would share with you all a short video of my cutie patootie showing his enthusiasm to eat. I recorded it this week. Sebastian does these 360° turns that are guaranteed to make me smile. I call him "twinkle toes." The video gets a little shaky because I am laughing. 
  Of course, Boo is just sitting there on the left like, "yeah, whatever."

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I laughed harder at Boo looking at Sebastian like, "Dude.  You're so easy."  I'm glad that Sebastian feels so much better!