Seasonal Changes In Behavior

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I write this on the gloomiest, rainiest day since probably last winter - after turning on some "cat TV" video on my tablet.

Do you guys notice any behavioral changes in your cat(s), now that the days are shorter? Sleeping more? Less active?

I usually take mine for (leashed) walks outside to counter boredom, but on days like this she takes one look outside at the rain and looks back at me as if to say: "Really? You want us to go out there?" She isn't a fan of getting her paws wet. :lol:

What can help get through days like this? It doesn't really help that she is very easily bored with new toys, and even by rotating them it takes a long time for her to regain interest. We play every day, but it's not long sessions and I feel there is too much down time inbetween. Any expierences about what kind of behavior is normal? And advise as to how to spice up her days?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elfilou Elfilou -

Good advice: Yes, they do sleep more; keep drapes and blinds open on grey, gloomy days, and if you have wide window perches, so much the better.

Very good advice: I took in a second cat to keep the first cat company, and then a third cat to entertain the first two. By the time you reach eleven cats, they entertain one another perpetually, leaving you free to bake and eat cookies all Winter long.

Excellent advice: Never take advice from a man with eleven cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Elfilou Elfilou -

Good advice: Yes, they do sleep more; keep drapes and blinds open on grey, gloomy days, and if you have wide window perches, so much the better.

Very good advice: I took in a second cat to keep the first cat company, and then a third cat to entertain the first two. By the time you reach eleven cats, they entertain one another perpetually, leaving you free to bake and eat cookies all Winter long.

Excellent advice: Never take advice from a man with eleven cats.
Hahaha! Great advice thank you! I do plan on getting a second cat next spring but I have to pull her through one last winter alone!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live back in California now, thank god! I never noticed any seasonal changes in my cats ... though I did need to install a sunlamp to keep my tropical plants alive/keep my sanity in Denmark. Nothing like grey skies, short days & freezing cold to convince humans & felines to stay inside ;) If you are noticing changes in your cat maybe by a light bulb or two that mimic the sunlight & set it on a timer? See if it helps your cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live back in California now, thank god! I never noticed any seasonal changes in my cats ... though I did need to install a sunlamp to keep my tropical plants alive/keep my sanity in Denmark. Nothing like grey skies, short days & freezing cold to convince humans & felines to stay inside ;) If you are noticing changes in your cat maybe by a light bulb or two that mimic the sunlight & set it on a timer? See if it helps your cat?
Hmm that you, I'll look into this! I have heard of these before. Thank you!

Flora.Ellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in England and I can tell you that my kitten sleeps more on gloomy, rainy days! I love these kind of these because my kitty isn’t hyperactive nor lazy so I can comfortably play with her.