Searching for my car Starr

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,

I'm a first time poster. I read about another person who lost her cat, and never found out if she was able to get her cat back. I felt inspired to share my story, as it's currently unfolding.

I moved a lot in the past year, first from Hamilton, Ontario to the west coast, and then back. When I moved back to Ontario, I landed in the parents' house with my two 2-year old tortoiseshell sisters, Luna and Starr. I'd just flown from Vancouver to Toronto with them, and they settled in fine in my parents' house. They have been indoor/outdoor cats for a while, and enjoy catching voles, mice and unfortunately, the odd bird and sometimes bat.

As a bird and nature-lover, I did research on preventing them from hunting birds. After some trial-and-error, I purchased two big bird collars for them. The collars enabled songbirds to see them before they could sneak up to the birds. They caught much fewer birds after starting to wear the collars. The collars also gave them a distinctive and somewhat comical look.

When the cats returned to Ontario, I continued to let them outside at night, as they were used to being country cats by now. After about a month of going out and in uneventfully, and hunting around the garden and forest, one morning, my Star did not come back. Her sister Luna returned home as usual.

At first I was anxious but didn't search, as Luna has had times when she went on adventures for a day, usually returning the next day. I went about my business, until she also did not return the next day, and then the next.

I did some more search online and began searching, first in neighbors' yards and garages. I quickly learned that many people in our suburban Ontario neighborhood became suspicious when I asked to search their yard and garage. So I knocked on dozens of doors, and asked people to search their backyards for her. Many people were quite short, seemingly not understanding the importance of a cat.

I felt very torn between grieving for Star, and recommitting myself to the search. My family was supportive at the outset, but I'm the only one at this stage who's still searching. My family doesn't seem to truly believe Star could be found. Many people told me all kinds of things that could've happened to Star, as we live next to a ravine.

I have not received any positive sightings of her. I've walked the forest, and there are no signs of animal remains. She does still wear her bird collar, which makes me worried that she could be stuck somewhere with it, or the collar may gave given her away to predators. But it's a guessing game.

Added to my stress is the fact that, around the time she disappeared, it was Canada Day, which means fireworks, which mean a terrified cat. The humidity of July was also suffocating at times. I could only console myself by imagining her drinking from the brooks in the forest, unharmed.

Her sister Luna is at home with me, adjusting to get sibling-less life, and to being an indoor cat since I'm too concerned to let her out too. I've tried various strategies for finding Star, including postering, door-knocking, calling vets and rescues, etc. A couple of neighbors say that they have seen her, but I'm not able to find her when I go to the houses.

I was able to find someone in the neighborhood who feeds stays, but he says he hasn't seen her. Most people say they have not seen her.

I'm continuing the search, although I feel very discouraged. My family has stopped saying things to me such as she's dead or in someone else's house. I got some good advice from the internet, after filtering out some bad advice. I haven't tried humane traps, and we have a wildlife camera. We've not been able to snap any videos of her, although a black cat regularly stops by our yard.

If anyone has suggestions, or want to share inspiring stories, I'm all ears as I am, as many far, at a loss. I've been hardcore grieving, and feel torn between letting her go, and recommitting to the search.

This is a photo of both Luna and Starr. Starr is the one with the white dot on her forehead. I liked to think of it as her third eye.

Attachments

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Think of it this way - she's so gorgeous that probably someone took her in and has made her an indoor baby - giving her lots of good food, games, toys, etc... I mean why not - I think it happens to lots of cats!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for what you are going through. You have to keep looking for her - dawn and dusk are your best bets. Take a flashlight with you, shining it both down under bushes, decks, etc. but also upward in trees and roof tops. Also, take treats or dry food, and shake the can/bag while calling her. Keep up with asking the neighbors, rescues, vets offices, etc. as well.

I do have some questions for you -
- how long has she been missing - about 15-16 days?
- is there a tracking devise on the collar; what makes you think she may be wearing it or even that it broke away? What is the significance of mentioning this, as it confused me?
- could the black cat that you are seeing on the camera be her - without the collar? I'd set the humane trap, just in case. Perhaps, place a clothing item of yours in it, or even something that smells of Luna. And, some of her favorite food as well.
- when you moved back to Ontario, how far away is it from where you were originally at? Could she be traveling back there? You might need to expand your search.

Overall, the time she has been gone is not definitive of anything, and there have been cats missing for much longer who ended up showing up back home, so all is not lost.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness, yes, what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said about traveling back to your previous home! There have been cats whose owners moved, the cat got out, and traveIed Iong distances back to the former address. It takes a good 21 days for their "GPS" to reset to a new Iocation. I beIieve the record for a cat traveIing back is something over 1000 miies, and it took months. AIert a trusted friend/former naighbor in the area to keep an eye out for her!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry, follow all the good advice and don’t give up. Maybe try walking the area with the sound of a cat crying…. Someone on the Siamese cat group found her cat that way another one had been missing for at least seven months and then showed up so you just never know she could still be out there stuck in the shed or something like that and is trying to make her way back to you.
I would also hand out flyers to everyone in your area and tell them what happened post them up and lamp, posts, and telephone poles or whatever with her photograph contact all local shelters and rescues and alert them that she is missing if you follow one of those online groups that will help you find your cat and she is chipped or not I would do that too…go to Facebook groups that have lost and found cats in your area and post her there as well. I hope she shows up soon.

I think you did most of what I already suggested. Did you set cameras up? That could help to see if she’s coming by although sometimes they’re not reliable.

Leave a garage door/ window open, put out dirty laundry with your scent too.

Last edited:

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Want to say I'm sorry... I posted before wanting you not to worry about her, without responding to how you must feel... so hope you find each other soon and all is well.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry-I have nothing to add to the good advice that everyone above has suggested......

I just want you to know that Starr is in my prayers ,I pray shes safe and Directed home,back to you......❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for what you are going through. You have to keep looking for her - dawn and dusk are your best bets. Take a flashlight with you, shining it both down under bushes, decks, etc. but also upward in trees and roof tops. Also, take treats or dry food, and shake the can/bag while calling her. Keep up with asking the neighbors, rescues, vets offices, etc. as well.

I do have some questions for you -
- how long has she been missing - about 15-16 days?
- is there a tracking devise on the collar; what makes you think she may be wearing it or even that it broke away? What is the significance of mentioning this, as it confused me?
- could the black cat that you are seeing on the camera be her - without the collar? I'd set the humane trap, just in case. Perhaps, place a clothing item of yours in it, or even something that smells of Luna. And, some of her favorite food as well.
- when you moved back to Ontario, how far away is it from where you were originally at? Could she be traveling back there? You might need to expand your search.

Overall, the time she has been gone is not definitive of anything, and there have been cats missing for much longer who ended up showing up back home, so all is not lost.
Hi, thanks for the advice and encouragement. At this point, it's been about 25 days. I have no personal sightings of her. I've had some sightings from neighbors, but they are all unconfirmed.

There is no tracking device in the collar. I mention it because it makes her vey distinct. It is not a breakaway collar. The collar has a bell attached to it, which makes a sound, and makes her visible to cars at night. I mention it because some unkind people have asked me why I would let her out with a collar like that, insinuating that wearing it would make her more vulnerable to predators. I mention it because the lack of kindness has made it more discouraging to look.

It's possible that the black cat is her without the collar. I will try the trap idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

In terms of where I moved from, I was originally in Hamilton, Ontario for around a year. Then we moved to the West Coast for 8 months, and I flew back to Barrie, ON with the cats in June 2023. Starr was lost around the end of June. If she went back to her original territory, I'm not sure what that would be. I'll message friends in Hamilton just in case. Thanks again for that suggestion.

There's an additional factor that there's a dog (shih tzu) at my parents' house, which might've scared Starr. I wondered if his presence could be preventing her from coming back, but I'm not sure.

I will call some more vets/send them missing posters, and look around some more.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goodness, yes, what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said about traveling back to your previous home! There have been cats whose owners moved, the cat got out, and traveIed Iong distances back to the former address. It takes a good 21 days for their "GPS" to reset to a new Iocation. I beIieve the record for a cat traveIing back is something over 1000 miies, and it took months. AIert a trusted friend/former naighbor in the area to keep an eye out for her!
Yeah, I moved from Hamilton to the West Coast (to a remote community), then back to Barrie, ON. I've asked a friend in Barrie to keep an eye out, but I don't think she'll be in the remote community! Thanks for the suggestion!

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry-I have nothing to add to the good advice that everyone above has suggested......

I just want you to know that Starr is in my prayers ,I pray shes safe and Directed home,back to you......❤
Thank you! Only cat-lovers understand the process. I see you're a tortie fan too. :)

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Starrlight Starrlight do you live near a bunch of people, if so are the houses kind of close?
I live in front of a forest/ravine. Before, Starr would prowl around the garden/forest hunting mice, voles, and the occasional bird (sadly). Otherwise, it's the suburbs. The houses are not too close, and the lots are bigger, but it's still a suburb, and not the country where people are far apart. Why do you ask?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starrlight Starrlight that is one thing I doubt you have to worry about here is people being mean or judgemental. We are all here because we love our cats and want the best for them. Things happen and no one has the right to judge you. We are all here to support one another and offer advice and sometimes just a kind word.. have you checked local shelter/humane society including the next town over?
If there are houses close by can you take a picture door to door and ask if they have seen her and maybe just maybe someone brought her inside because of how hot it is..

You and Star have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in front of a forest/ravine. Before, Starr would prowl around the garden/forest hunting mice, voles, and the occasional bird (sadly). Otherwise, it's the suburbs. The houses are not too close, and the lots are bigger, but it's still a suburb, and not the country where people are far apart. Why do you ask?
Can I ask how Luna is doing ,shes at a loss too.....
I was wondering,is Luna harness trained by any chance? She might be able to help you search?

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the words of support, everyone! It's been about 3.5 weeks. I managed to borrow a live trap and a wildlife camera from a cat rescue agency. I've been getting phone calls about sightings. I get the sense that they are largely unreliable, since many people don't understand what torties look like/mistake them for black cats.

Nonetheless, I've trapped at a couple locations, including at the back of a grocery store/restaurant plaza, near the dumpsters, because a man walking a dog said he saw a cat with a collar there. On the first night, I trapped a chubby cat, and a black tuxedo. The second night, the same tuxedo showed up. I stopped trapping at this location because I've not had a positive sighting.

I also received a call from someone living in a housing complex. I tried to get permission to trap there, but the housing management people denied our request. I went to look around and talk to people, and spotted a diluted tortie (not Starr) that could've been mistaken for Starr. Nevertheless, I set up a trap there last night, and trapped a black cat, as well as a skunk.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starrlight Starrlight oh no a skunk....
I'm gonna tell you 2 stories hopefully you can have a laugh about it..
My parents used to have a lot of opossums so we would trap them and relocate them. One day we saw a skunk.. not knowing how to get it out without getting sprayed my dad called our neighbor he came out and covered the trap with a cover opened the cage turned around to 🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♂️ he ran right into a tall bird feeder we had and fell down didn't get hurt and didn't get sprayed but it was a time lol
Another time before I was born my grandparents had a neighbor who drank a lot one night he was going around a bush chasing a skunk he did get sprayed...

All jokes aside I think you are doing great trying to find your baby Star.

I was asking about the distance of houses thinking maybe just maybe someone did take her in..

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I ask how Luna is doing ,shes at a loss too.....
I was wondering,is Luna harness trained by any chance? She might be able to help you search?
Luna is doing pretty well. She's eating well. She's definitely looking around the house for her sister, as she's usually quite timid, and she's taken to coming upstairs where the dog is to look around, trying to get in the garage, etc.

We've been having lots of cuddles and she's sleeping on top of my at nighttime. I think this has been helpful for both her and I.

Luna is unfortunately not leash-trained. She's used to being an indoor/outdoor cat, and since Starr went missing, Luna has become an indoor cat not by her choice. I have thought about getting her help to find Starr, and there was one night when I let her out where she ran to some houses, which I interpreted as places Starr might've visited. But I don't know if that's just my imagination.

I have heard of people playing sounds made by the "friends" of the missing cat. I might try that, or put Luna in a kennel to see if that attracts Starr. But I think I need to have a reasonable idea of where Starr is, as I would just be stressing Luna out for no reason if Starr is not in the area.

The issue is definitely having no idea where Starr is. :(

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you could get a recording of Luna I think that would help.. I hate to say it (because I would never want to put any cat or any animal for that matter through any stress) but even if you have to put her in a carrier for a minute in the house record it then let her out give her lots of love and treats. That 1 minute could be looped for a continuous sound playing of Luna meowing.

Last edited: