Scratching Under The Door - Help!!

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my kittens are locked up in my room they have started scratching the carpet by the door trying to get out. They mostly only do this when they know I'm home but not in there with them. 

I've tried "no scratch" spray - doesn't work. I've tried taping down foil as I heard they don't like the way it feels on their paws - didn't work. 

I can't afford to replace the carpets and the apartment isn't mine so I really need to come up with a solution that prevents them from scratching the carpet to pieces. It's already getting pretty wrecked and I'm stressing out about it. 

I thought about getting a big piece of wood to put down but I'm not sure how big I'd have to get before it would be heavy enough that they can't move it? I don't want to keep spending money on solutions that don't work. I wish I could do those plastic under-the-door mat things but there's a 2 inch rise under the door that makes that hard. I also thought about a piece of sacrifice carpet under the door but it would be too thick and I wouldn't be able to close the door.

Background for those who don't know: a very close friend of mine went through a breakup and didn't have anywhere to stay so I agreed to let her live with me for six months until she can move back to her hometown. She has a dog who cannot be trusted with my cats so they have to remain separate at all times. During the day the dog is either crated or at work with me and the cats are loose to roam around the house and play (these are 5 month old kittens so play they do. A lot) and when we're home the dog is loose and the kittens are in the room. I try to stay in there with them as much as possible but obviously I have to shower and eat and stuff. 

Ugh. I'm not sure I can survive 5 more months of this :( 

Anyone have any brilliant ideas on the door thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
do you think it would be heavy enough? Is linoleum heavy? I don't even know haha. It would be nice in that it's thinner than wood (the litter box is fairly close to the door in order to keep it as far from the bed as I can) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure it's possible, he has a very strong prey drive and I am not willing to take the risk that he might do something and hurt or kill my kittens.