Scratching posts, how many and how long do they last?

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has finally realized that a scratching post I bought 2 years ago can be used and she's happy :)

However, she still uses furniture in those rooms that do not have a scratching post (we have 3 rooms overall). Am I right in thinking that she needs a scratching post in every room to stop ruining the furniture and wallpaper?

Also I wonder how long do they last? The ones I'm talking about are actual high stands, not other types of scratching stuff, my cat still ignores them. I have an idea that buying a post with two 'roofs' (on either end) could help save money, because once she ruins the higher end of it, you can just flip it over. Am I right?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found out that the scratching posts you buy last less than the one you can made yourself. The quality of materials, firstly the rope, is poor in commercial items, but if you wrap the post with a rope you buy in shops, it will last years!
The scratching post I bought a few months ago is already destroyed, the one I made in 2012 is still there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was not aware you could make it yourself. But how? And what kind of rope do you use?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used a cardboard tube that a print shop was disposing of, the tube that would hold a roll of paper for large plotters, but anything that looks like it would do.
The rope, it must be sisal rope. I bought a reel of this rope at a rope shop, the size must be big, 8 mm or 10 mm, not smaller.
You start wrapping the tube with the rope. You stop the beginning of the rope with a nail or a screw in the tube, then you can use vynilic glue on the tube and wrap ten turns of rope, and so on, trying to ttighten the rope as much as you can. Do not apply to much glue or it could dry up before you are able to wrap the rope on it. At the end, you stop the other end of the rope with another screw.

The tube was then mounted on a wooden base. To do that, I used a wooden solid cylinder (you can find them at any DIY shop), that I had previously nailed in the inside of the tube. This solid cylinder will be screwed to the base. I hope I was clear enough.

I'm not so sure, but I believe that there must be some tutorials on YouTube.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats absolutely adore those cheap cardboard 'scratchers' you buy in Walmart. The big ones. They are CONSTANTLY scratching on them, when one side is ruined I flip it over. They last a few months. I found them on Amazon at a cheaper price when you buy like 3 to a pack and they come in a cardboard holder that contains much of the shredded cardboard.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat likes both woven sisal and wrapped. Wrapped lasts longer 3-4 years where as the woven sisal lasts about 2years.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 2-3 times a year I buy my spoiled boy a cardboard scratcher cat house. He loves them! Plus he had a 3 year old cat tree that is showing it’s wear and tear….. so I need to replace the sisal rope on one pole.
39376653-1A06-435F-B5D9-11532BF3F363.jpeg

My last cat tree is 18 years old & retired at my mom’s house. It is still going strong.
1B7B3BB4-EAA0-4FAD-8BC4-4C118CA6A1D1.jpeg
Seasonal cat house scratchers…. I bought him a log cabin & 2 summer houses but I can’t find the pictures:

6B9265B5-4A40-48F2-9158-EADF46F9C7CB.jpeg

093A8ED3-1331-4459-9A42-A98E56BA37C3.jpeg

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are these 'cardboard' and 'wrapped' scratchers that you ladies have mentioned? I've only ever seen sisal scratching posts and some weird planks that you place on the floor to be scratched (my cat ignores them).

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a ton of options out there, but our Armarkat trees have lasted the longest. They also offer replacement parts for a lot of their models. I literally just today ordered a couple replacement posts for one of our trees, as well as a smaller one to tuck into our tv room. We have the same issue, though the big tree is in the great room, they scratch on the chairs in the tv room where we hang out the most.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had sisal and carpet scratchers/trees for ages. they last a long time. I also bought one used for very cheap that lasted many years. cardboard scratchers, not so much! I also don't mind if my cats scratch my furniture, though, so there's that to consider mine may not be getting as much use as some.

does your cat prefer vertical or horizontal scratching? some cats have a preference and that can help you decide which type to invest in.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wayfair Canada - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More - Wayfair Canada

cardboard scratchers are just as they sound, ones made of cardboard 🐱 There's loads of types.

they are cheap and don't last long, but oh boy do most cats love them!

I got my carpet one at Walmart and it's lasted a long time. I have re-wrapped the sisal poles with new sisal and I will be re-carpeting the carpet poles with some leftover carpet from my neighbours.

Cardboard ones are light and easy to put anywhere. We have one cardboard one in each room and at least one sisal or rope stand.

For the small sisal and rope ones, I always braid some sisal or cotton rope from the dollar store and then use a glue gun to re-wrap the poles as needed. That way I am not throwing things out needlessly as the poles themselves are still structurally sound.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also have an Armarkat tree. It's about 7 feet tall and I've had it for at least five years (got it off of ebay for a great deal). My cat isn't terribly hard on it, but he does use it daily and it's still in great shape. A couple of years ago I did pull the carpet off of the outside of the little box he sleeps in, just so that I could stain it and make the tree look a bit more contemporary, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I think it will last several more years, at least.

I have a couple of other small scratchers and I've tried the cardboard ones but Friday's not super into them. My brother's cat goes crazy for them though.

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for educating me on the types of scratchers!

Btw my cat still scratches the armchair from time to time, even though she loves her scratching post and it stands a mere half a meter away from the armchair. Any ideas?

I couldn't find my scratching post in the link, but this one is very similar to the model I use:
Except that it's much higher, as high as this one:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alldara, thank you for the idea. The description states that they work on leather but not cloth sofas. The armchair is cloth, though. That said, maybe I shouldn't bother, the armchair is old anyway, and she's been scratching it for 2 years before she discovered the joys of the scratching post. It's probably a habit, indeed.

But what about the wallpaper? She sometimes claws at it, then tears pieces out with her mouth. It's not a scratching instinct, I think, she's just bored. Although I'm not sure, I've seen her scratch the wallpaper like a scratching post, too. In 99% of cases she inflicts damage on it while alone, that's why I think it might be out of boredom.

Short of buying new wallpaper, I don't know what to do. However, in shops they don't even sell old 'flat' wallpaper like before, the kind that cats can't damage. It's a relief that I still have very old wallpaper in 2 of the rooms and in the kitchen. But the hall and the corridor are under siege and don't look so well.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Alldara, thank you for the idea. The description states that they work on leather but not cloth sofas. The armchair is cloth, though. That said, maybe I shouldn't bother, the armchair is old anyway, and she's been scratching it for 2 years before she discovered the joys of the scratching post. It's probably a habit, indeed.

But what about the wallpaper? She sometimes claws at it, then tears pieces out with her mouth. It's not a scratching instinct, I think, she's just bored. Although I'm not sure, I've seen her scratch the wallpaper like a scratching post, too. In 99% of cases she inflicts damage on it while alone, that's why I think it might be out of boredom.

Short of buying new wallpaper, I don't know what to do. However, in shops they don't even sell old 'flat' wallpaper like before, the kind that cats can't damage. It's a relief that I still have very old wallpaper in 2 of the rooms and in the kitchen. But the hall and the corridor are under siege and don't look so well.
Cats have some destructive instincts. Were she hunting live prey she would have to do some ripping and tearing to get at her food.

Some cats are quite happy to not have to work so hard. Others like my cat Magnus and maybe your girl really want to give in to that.

We give Magnus craft paper and boxes. He loves to tear up both. It's easy to clean up and easy to "refresh". Tissue paper is a good hit too.

Giving her an outlet may work.