Scratching Carpet By Food Like She’s Covering Poo.

Phoit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat often eats, then scratches the carpet like she’s covering a poo, which she doesn’t do in the litter box. I’ve never had a cat do this before and have no idea why she does. Thoughts?

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats often bury their food to hide it and preserve it for later in the "wild". He's feeling full and wants to come back to it later. Honestly with how many cats I've cat sat, only one ever did this. I wonder if it's a learned behavior, like it is with grooming?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats often bury their food to hide it and preserve it for later in the "wild". He's feeling full and wants to come back to it later. Honestly with how many cats I've cat sat, only one ever did this. I wonder if it's a learned behavior, like it is with grooming?
My first kitten never did this, but then we got another kitten that did that, and guess what, now the cat that didn't do this at the beginning does it EVERY SINGLE TIME. So yeah, it seems like a learned behaviour ;-)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat often eats, then scratches the carpet like she’s covering a poo,
This is normal as what others have mentioned.

My boy does this when he finished eating or if I scoop out his food into his plate and he is not hungry enough to eat yet, he'll do the scratch/dig action and then go away.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had many cats do this. As mentioned before cats do it in the wild. Also if there is more than 1 cat in the house it may be the cay is trying to "save" the food. I wouldn't worry.