Scratcher of wood

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Timothy, our eldest (15 in October), enjoys scratching our couch.

Cordelia - who is 5 now - enjoys wood. I DO trim their claws, though perhaps have not always been as on top of it as I should've been.

Our IKEA bedframe (actual solid wood) looks like we have a beaver living with us (kind of an exaggeration?).

I am really trying to be on top of trimming their claws. As well, I bought - and the guide holes weren't straight, so assembling was very frustrating - some scratching posts that the posts are solid wood. They've ignored them. She sits on the carpeted base.

I have rubbed the posts with catnip - would a catnip spray make that much difference? I just have the dried stuff.

In my personal opinion - we're on cover #3 for our couch, so the bedframe looks like it does - it's just FURNITURE - but that being said, if I can encourage Cordelia's sharpening of her claws to be more on the posts and less on our bed, that would be fantastic.

We do have a cat tree with some vertical posts she uses sometimes, but Timothy probably uses those the most.

Help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
My goodness! No exaggeration!

Does she like fresh catnip? If so, that might work better than the dried, --I don't know much about spray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never tried fresh catnip Furballsmom Furballsmom - who knew that was a thing! (I mean, of course, it has to be, but I've never seen it. I will go consult PetSmart and Global Pet Foods and Pet Valu websites...I really want her using these scratching posts!)

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a cat that likes to scratch wood. She would scratch the doorframes and the banister for the staircase. We put double sided tape on all the doorframes and bannister. Then my husband built a cat tree type thing with shelves and made sure one of the posts was just a piece of wood. She loves to scratch that post now and leaves the doorframes alone.

Is your wood scratching post big, tall and sturdy? Your cat needs to be able to fully stretch out when scratching it and preferably barely be able to reach the top. It has to be really solid too, no wobbling. My experience is, if scratching posts are too small or wobbly, cats don’t like them much.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat was Indoor/Outdoor he’d always run to a log just outside and go to town! Wondering how hard it’d be for you to splice a log lengthwise and place on floor? Could be a vertical versus horizontal issue. Assuming you’ve tried the cardboard scratchers?

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2C4675FB-7642-4A0B-B357-393C89FFE3D8.jpeg
arr arr one is taller then the other but they’re quite sturdy - I’m attaching some pics. Cordelia is the black kitty cat.

I’ve even “shown” her how to scratch them haha.

Margot Lane Margot Lane I am not sure if we have space for a log - but hmm, maybe. She does use the vertical scratching posts on the cat tree sometimes but I suspect she prefers horizontal scratching. We have a few of those round scratchers that are cardboard with a ball on the outside that I put catnip on and they don’t get much attention.

We’re in an apartment, 2 bedrooms, 880 square feet, me and my husband, three dogs totalling around 115lbs, and Timothy and Cordelia. I am not sure where we’d put a log!

Attachments

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 444790 arr arr one is taller then the other but they’re quite sturdy - I’m attaching some pics. Cordelia is the black kitty cat.

I’ve even “shown” her how to scratch them haha.

Margot Lane Margot Lane I am not sure if we have space for a log - but hmm, maybe. She does use the vertical scratching posts on the cat tree sometimes but I suspect she prefers horizontal scratching. We have a few of those round scratchers that are cardboard with a ball on the outside that I put catnip on and they don’t get much attention.

We’re in an apartment, 2 bedrooms, 880 square feet, me and my husband, three dogs totalling around 115lbs, and Timothy and Cordelia. I am not sure where we’d put a log!
You could nail it to the base of your bed! 😂 Seriously though that vertical post in your photo…I know my cat needs to be able to sink his claws into it, and that one looks much too hard and slippery. Looks like she WANTS to use it.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could nail it to the base of your bed! 😂 Seriously though that vertical post in your photo…I know my cat needs to be able to sink his claws into it, and that one looks much too hard and slippery. Looks like she WANTS to use it.
Ha! Well, Timothy likes rubbing against it, Cordelia, I've not seen any action beyond sitting on the base like a loaf of bread! I don't remember but pretty sure the posts are soft wood - that is one thing I thought would be good about it!

I got a catnip spray this morning and sprayed it on. Timothy was back rubbing up against it, Cordelia, still ignoring it. That cat! Heh.

It's been a bit better, the destruction to the bed, since I've been so on top of trimming her claws - I just was hoping to give her an outlet she enjoys for scratching AS WELL as keeping those nails short!

I used to leave their nails a bit in case a dog needed a whack - but they all coexist pretty well, our youngest dog gets a little overly excited sometimes but knows he has to leave them be - he just needs reminding at feeding time, because feeding time is exciting, the cats might be excited too!

(I mean, I'm in the midst of small modifications to our place anyways (new duvet cover, new knobs for dressers/cabinets etc., we've been putting in new light fixtures, I painted the bathroom, want to paint the kitchen) - we don't have the money now, but I could argue we NEED a new bed (lol) - our eldest dog, he's a husky/terrier mix and turns 15 next month, he can still get up in bed but I saw a really low one we could get that would make it easy for him as he ages (hopefully many more years - I'm Team 20 Years Old for him (and Timothy, who is also turning 15 this year). He's around 40lbs, so he's not short, but he does have arthritis, and most meds we've tried either did nothing or are contraindicted with his kidneys and tummy. He's on the 'notification' list for librela when it becomes available here - Timothy had his second shot of solensia yesterday and we're happy with what we're seeing.)

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From your photo of your bed, maybe she would prefer a post that was horizontal? Try turning one of the posts on its side for a few days and see if she will scratch it that way? Sometimes that's how I've gotten my cats to scratch a new post.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From your photo of your bed, maybe she would prefer a post that was horizontal? Try turning one of the posts on its side for a few days and see if she will scratch it that way? Sometimes that's how I've gotten my cats to scratch a new post.
Oh! They would probably be kind of stable that way. Hmm. Good idea! Thanks!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I never saw her scratching on the one turned on it's side - but my husband seems to have developed an unreasonable dislike of these scratching posts, and today insisted it be place upright again as 'it's a tripping hazard' (it's not in a path we use to walk about, but sigh). I did see her sitting on the base again.

...my husband wants to know when we're throwing them out. So impatient! Men! I said no time soon.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the cardboard scratchers? Works like a charm for my cat.
We have those toys with balls around the outside and cardboard scratchers on the inside. She ignores those. Do you think a larger cardboard scratcher would help? She was on the headboard last night and I had to say 'Cordelia!' as she was starting to scratch it. Someone has shoved the post in the living room last night, I dunno if it was being used for scratching though!

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
We have those toys with balls around the outside and cardboard scratchers on the inside. She ignores those. Do you think a larger cardboard scratcher would help? She was on the headboard last night and I had to say 'Cordelia!' as she was starting to scratch it. Someone has shoved the post in the living room last night, I dunno if it was being used for scratching though!
I DO think the large CB scratchers would help. As soon as I got one my cat stopped decimating my armchair and peace was established throughout the land. (I sprinkled a little Yyyow! Catnip on mine as well).

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Margot Lane Margot Lane while my husband was out running errands I suggested he get one and he huffily informed me 'We just got two scratching posts' honestly that man sometimes! Heh. I'll just have to go myself!

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Margot Lane Margot Lane while my husband was out running errands I suggested he get one and he huffily informed me 'We just got two scratching posts' honestly that man sometimes! Heh. I'll just have to go myself!
Different cats scratch in different ways. if it DOES work, it’ll be very cheap and not take up lots of room. My cat likes it flat on the floor and took him bout a week to ”get” it. they also flip over when one side is done. Let me know, and fingers crossed!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness!

Got more litter and dog food today (along with some turkey bone broth for dogs - Timothy is also a fan) and got a cardboard scratcher.

Timothy was an early (if brief) adopter, but guess who was just using it - Cordelia!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness!

Thank you so much Margot Lane Margot Lane and everyone else - this is huge!
9E9304B6-9F12-43B6-9344-40EC2F2DA1DA.jpeg

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness!

Got more litter and dog food today (along with some turkey bone broth for dogs - Timothy is also a fan) and got a cardboard scratcher.

Timothy was an early (if brief) adopter, but guess who was just using it - Cordelia!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness!

Thank you so much Margot Lane Margot Lane and everyone else - this is huge! View attachment 445019
She has a look on her face as if to say: “What took you so long?!” Glad it all worked out.