Scooter - a beautiful kitten whose life was taken by an evil adopter. :(

wsxdrfvgy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to share what happened to my beloved foster kitten Scooter. I loved this boy dearly. And I thought that, when he was adopted by a home that seemed perfectly fine, that when they had signed the contract that said he'd be returned to the shelter if anything came up, he was going to be OK. It turned out that within less than 2 weeks after Scooter left my door, the man who adopted him had him put to sleep. Scooter was just 8 months old. The reasons he cited were because Scooter was "wild" and "afraid" and that he had a "fever", and the vet either encouraged it or went along with it. He couldn't be bothered medicating this "wild" cat. He couldn't be bothered returning him either as per the contract. Scooter was never wild.

Scooter was just a baby who had been taken from his family and the only home he ever knew. And this person expected different behavior? He was never that way with us. He was a perfectly sweet angel with us. We would have taken him back in a heart beat if we knew. He didn't even try to contact us. He contacted the shelter, the woman told him she should try giving him an extra week to settle in. He couldn't even be burdened to let a scared kitten stay in his house an extra week. He had him murdered instead.

I didn't find out until today because the woman from the shelter didn't know how to tell me. She knew I'd take it badly. I am. I am taking it so badly.

I am just devastated. I took in Scooter's mother when she was pregnant with him. She gave birth to him and his siblings in my house. I love them all. I wanted to keep Scooter but I knew I couldn't have so many cats. I tried doing the best for him and it was the worst thing I could have done.

I don't know what the shelter will do about that man violating the contract, but nothing they could do would be what he deserves. It's just absolutely sickening. I am so angry. And upset.

At least he knew love in this house, but I'll never forgive myself for letting him leave it. :(

RIP Scooter.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You did the very best you could.  Please don't blame yourself.

RIP beautiful Scooter

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry. :( I just don't know what's wrong with people - maybe it was too hard for that guy to admit to "failure" with his new kitten, so it was easier to have him put down instead. Shame on him.
:hugs: Please don't be so hard on yourself. You did all you could for him and gave him a loving start to life, and you thought he was going to a good, caring home.
RIP Scooter. :rbheart:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't understand people adopting a pet and then paying no attention to them.   They should go buy a stuffed animal, sit it on a shelf, and then just look at it.  That seems to be all they want to do with their living animals.

spoung45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course at 8 months of a kitten will be "wild" That have to catch "bed mice" aka your toes, and climb the curtains or any other type of fabric or flesh... that was a kittens job is...

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cant beleve someone would do this, why not just hand him back to the shelter.  RIP Scooter

This was not your fault

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How terrible! Couldn't the shelter have contacted you before putting him to sleep?

People like that should get the harshest punishment possible. It's just not fair to that poor little baby. My thoughts are with you.

pipa7622

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just take small comfort knowing that you did the best you could for him. You lovingly gave him to a shelter so he could find his forever home. You did nothing wrong. Sleep well, Scooter. I imagine he's playing with my Sasha right now. Sasha passed away last Tuesday so I'm sure she is looking out for him now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wsxdrfvgy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your kind words. :( I truly don't understand how people like this can exist.

And Pipa, my condolences for your Sasha. RIP :(

I am really having a hard time coping with this. Not even the shelter had any idea the man was planning on having Scooter put to sleep, the vet didn't call them, he didn't call the shelter again until after he had already done it. And apparently he got him euthanized just two or three days after he had the conversation with the woman from the shelter who urged him to give Scooter more time to settle in. :(

He's just so evil and it makes me so angry. He pretended he was a great saint to animals when we adopted Scooter to him. I wish I could have saved my baby, but I know you can't save them all. And I didn't know what was going on.

And of course, other than not being allowed to adopt cats anymore, nothing will happen to that man. :(

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't beat yourself over poor Scooter. It was not your fault.

Is there any legal recourse for the shelter because he signed a contract? Even if you never got anything from him it might make  local news and embarrass this jerk. It would let people you mean it when you say they will take the cat back if it does not work out, and will take action if they do something so cruel as was done to Scooter.

I hope there is a special place in hell for people like that.

kitsuneko88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss that is a terrible thing that person did to a poor defenseless kitten. THere were probably other reason's why the cat was acting wild with him. There was no reason you could have known that this could happen. You should definitely let your group and other groups know about this incident, maybe get him black listed from adopting kittens or cats and putting them in the same situation.

zena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are some folks in this world who should be banned from keeping animals.  The man is a moron!!!  RIP lovely cat xxx

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I am feeling your pain, I am choked up more than I can say, and I can definitely relate to your feelings.

In my rescue, we do all the right screening, as well as have them sign a contract stating they agree to return to us if for any reason they can not/or do not want to keep the cat.

When we get them fixed before adopting out, we also microchip, and I can tell you this, it has saved more than just a few cats from my rescue.

Despite our careful screening and questions, and the contract, we still get an occasional call from our shelter saying they have a cat with a chip from us, and we go pick up the cat.

I also know that the vet we use scans for a chip if someone was to bring an animal to him and request it be euthanized, which he will NOT do without good cause anyway.

People can put on a good front, and it's scary, I know. Even our gut instincts can be mistaken, we have to believe in people, believe that for the most part, people are good.

I looked at Scooter's pic and it gave me quite a chill, as he is the spittin image of one of my recently adopted cats.

I love them all, each and every one of them. When they are ready, whether old enough, well again, recovered, whatever the case, they move on, start their new and good life in their forever homes, but they all have a spot in my heart where they reside, and always will.

You did your best, nothing at all you could have done any differently, it's just a horrible unfortunate thing that happened with Scooter. Horrible doesn't begin to describe, I know. So, so sorry. I feel your pain for this whole situation. Someday he will pay for what he did, it's only too bad you can't be there to witness it, give some sort of closure to what has happened.

kibmufxy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg what a sicko that man was. I would make sure all shelters know about him so he never gets another cat to do that do again.Such a beauty and he deserved to live. Very sad and i am sure it will haunt you forever but it is not your fault. It is his !