Science Diet Vs Taste Of The Wild

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm switching my cats over to science diet. Both elderly cats I have were eating kitten kaboodle and I want them to have good healthy wholesome food. My 9 year old cat I got 1 week ago has kidney issues and doesn't drink enough water so I feed him soft food but I saw science diet has special soft food for cats with urinary problems. I am switching my other cat to science diet hard food as he doesn't like wet food much. A couple ppl have told me taste of the wild is much better but is it really? I want to stick with the same brand for the rest of their lives so I should get the best and healthiest. Any thoughts?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Read and compare labels. You want a food with as little grain, especially corn, as possible. So far, I've not needed special diets, so I'm not familiar with either one personally, but many of our members have issues with Science Diet. Vets recommend it, but they also sell it, so...READ THOSE LABELS!

If you look in our article section under "Cat Food & Feeding" you will find a LOT of good information about various foods on the market, as well as alternative (homemade and/or raw) foods. Should you decide to go the homemade or raw methods, DO READ THE ARTICLES! That is essential. You must add things like taurine, or you can get into trouble in a hurry.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Kudos for getting them off Kit & Kaboodle, it's awful.

Science Diet is full of corn.
Taste of the Wild has no corn, but has other stuff some people find objectionable (peas, potatoes..)

Curious why you want to have them stick to just one brand tho?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to keep them on the same brand so they're not always switching from brand to brand and it won't bother their stomach.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, switching brands can upset some cat tummies. Others seem to have no issue with it.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are looking for “the best” brands and price isn’t an objection. Look at Dr.Elsy’s CleanProtein. It is very low in carbs as about low as you can go. Very high in ANIMAL protists. Another good ones without fillers is Wysong Epigen 90. It’s a lot cheaper than the cleanprotein. Also look at instinct. It will have more carbs than both of these but are far better than science diet and taste of the wild.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im pretty sure our cat got diabetes from a steady diet of science diet cd dry food.

She improved once I switched to a quality wet food.

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly there is nothing wrong with corn or other veggies or grains in cat food (in moderation), they provide valuable carbohydrates that any animal needs.
I personally recommend Royal Canine as there is a lot of research and quality testing that goes into any of their food (they have next to 0 recalls due to their extensive quality testing). Hills is a good option as well.
Upon looking at the label and ingredients my recommendation would be the hills.
Taste of the wild has less chicken and what feels like to me, too much filler with veggies and less quality of meat product. I also looked at the Dr elsey clean protein chicken, overall it looks like its a decent food but i question the use of dried egg product and wonder why taurine is so far down the list (maybe it because of the amount of chicken used- im not sure)

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a dog with kidney issues from birth so ... I had to learn a thing or ten ... you need to compare phosphorous content of the food - for healthy felines a high meat/protein content and normal phosphorus is essential for growing - however - it is different for kidney disease. Unfortunately it takes a bit of sleuthing as most companies will not list the phosphorous content and you might need to ask the manufacturers directly ... I am not personally a fan of science diet ( for healthy cats or dogs - their food is frankly just bad- full of grains ...) but in some cases they are the only ones that make very specialized diets ...Look at senior formulas - often those balance a lower phosphorous and slightly lower protein content to protect kidneys ... Healthy cats and dogs should be on a premium kibble with meat and meat meal as the first ingredients but ... kidney disease is a different ballgame altogether.