Scared Kitty In Backyard?

Eira F

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, so there's this really tiny kitten in my yard. It has been meowing all night long and I think it is really stressed and scared. Anyways, today I laid out a bowl of milk for it, and it gulped the milk down real fast( hungry one, I suppose) but boy, the length it jumps when it sees me coming. I think it's a feral for sure. How do I get it calmed down/care for it?

katsehh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know much about feral cats, but I remember a local shelter that was caring for a colony told us to just leave them alone. Since she's a kitten, is the mother around? Sometimes they leave temporarily so you may need to wait a few hours, though since it's been like this all night she might not be showing up. If the mother isn't there, I would try using some food depending on how young she is and/or keep laying out milk to get her some food and calm her down.

This here seems like a pretty good link. #5 says that there are "no-kill" traps that rescue organizations might loan out. That way you can spay/neuter and either release if she's feral or find a home if she's a stray.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
By walking slowly, talking softly, and feeding the kitten it will learn to trust you.

The kitten needs feeding several times a day, both kitten chow and wet food. Cow's milk will cause diarrhea, as cats are lactose intolerant and cannot properly digest it.

You can purchase a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula and mix it into liquid milk to give the kitten.

I hope you will be able to bring the kitten inside your home soon.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure about the advice from the shelter that katsehh mentioned.. that is more if you are caring for a feral colony, and they have all been spayed and neutered.
A little kitten deserves a chance at a non-feral life.
If you can, it would be wonderful to get close to her. It is doubtful her mother is on the scene if she is so terribly hungry. Milk is not the best thing to give her. If she looks like she's past weaning age, then a good quality wet food would be good.
Is there anyway you could provide a picture, or have you any idea of her age?

This is not my strong point, but we have some brilliant members with extensive stray and feral experience that hopefully will see your thread soon.
In the meantime, here are two of our articles that may help:

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference
I Found Abandoned Kittens - What Should I Do?

EDIT: Sarthur2 posted while I was writing this and will be able to give you good advice. :)
It also does really depend on the age of your kitty.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes: Sending vibes that you are able to catch the kitten. Meanwhile, it needs a safe area that protects it from predators esp. if its mother has been gone and it has wandered in search of food. It is good that you fed it because its cries for help also alert predators. A sad possibility is that it was cruelly dumped off and panicked. You can look at the alley cat allies' website for a chart on estimating a kitten's age. Www.kitten-rescue.com has additional good info on feeds for kittens. Bless you for looking out for that poor little kitten and please keep us updated! Susan