Scared cat

JennFab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so just had something happen with my cat. She got a plastic shopping bag stuck around her middle and was very scared of it. She was trying to run away from it but it was trailing behind her. Anytime I got close to try to remove it she would hiss and yell at me and basically try to attack me. She finally got herself into a corner and I was able to remove the bag but there was a lot of drama caused. As I was cleaning everything up she would hiss and yell at me and even try to claw at me if I got to close or in her line of sight. I’m just wondering if the hissing and yelling will stop now that the bag is off and I’m leaving her alone. I don’t want her to hate me forever.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok so just had something happen with my cat. She got a plastic shopping bag stuck around her middle and was very scared of it. She was trying to run away from it but it was trailing behind her. Anytime I got close to try to remove it she would hiss and yell at me and basically try to attack me. She finally got herself into a corner and I was able to remove the bag but there was a lot of drama caused. As I was cleaning everything up she would hiss and yell at me and even try to claw at me if I got to close or in her line of sight. I’m just wondering if the hissing and yelling will stop now that the bag is off and I’m leaving her alone. I don’t want her to hate me forever.
Just reassure her by saying 'It's ok. No more bags' lovingly. Then show her your empty hands. Keep doing this till she stops hissing and yelling.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom is exactly right. Just be calm, let her get over this. It might take a day or two, but she will. Patience, and don't try to insist that she get close to you until she is comfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JennFab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got thru the night ok, and I thought we were good this morning. She followed me around a little and let me pet her. But I was moving a toy and it bopped her on the head and that started a hissing fit. Now if I walk into the same room she is in she hisses until I sit down. She did come near me and then curled up on my bed but as soon as I stand or walk she hisses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JennFab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice. I think we are back to pretty much normal. I’m still being cautious around her so I don’t spook her but she seems to be mostly her old self. I appreciate the community here…makes me feel not alone going thru things like this.