Sammy has passed today.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to make the tough decision to euthanize Sammy today. Sammy had lung cancer since January 5th 2021. Due to the over 9 thousand dollar cost of surgery, I had to treat him with mushrooms. My vet told me he should have passed within 6 months, but Sammy gave me almost 21 months of love. My wife called him ass monkey because he would constantly follow her around the house. It's a tough decision to do, but I had to recognize that he was displaying pain signs. For example, not resting in his normal way, but hiding in a cat tunnel that wasn't his sleeper. He stopped eating. I decided that it was more important to let him go than keep him for me and the wife.
I found Sammy outside one day as a kitten. He was sickly hungry and part of his tail was missing. How could you not fall in love with that? Sammy would hold my hand as we slept with his paw. He graciously helped me get over 3 other cats that I had that passed. I'm crying at this time, I hate doing this part of pet parenting. I'm going to post his picture and go grieve. Thank you all.

IMG_0155.JPG

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks to be a real sweetie, and you handled the end stoically…at least his passing was with you, and fairly painlessly. You extended his quality of life to a great extent; you were lucky to find each other. Maybe when you feel better, you can tell us more about the mushrooms, as I have never heard of that!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sammy, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Right about 21 months since diagnosis...you and Sammy certainly fought the good fight together! I know that he never, for one moment, doubted that he was loved, and I know that having that love made him more determined to stay until his little body could no longer support his great heart and giving spirit. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses you for your love and your care, and he sends his love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Sammy looks like a black version of my Yammy (Tommy), nicknamed that because he is the color of a yam. Yammy has leukemia and has almost died several times, the vet gave him 'days' the first time. I have had him for almost 3 years now since his diagnosis, so I know how eternally grateful we are for one more precious day on this earth with our loved ones......
You knew your boy more than anyone, you knew when life became unbearable, and he started existing rather than truly living. You could not let him suffer from something that was NOT going to go away, only becoming more painful and extending the suffering into the future. You knew there is a time to let go. You did so much for him, much more than most, and he was so lucky to have you and the extra time you gave him. You took on his pain as your own broken heart and gave him his wings. He thanks you for that. Now try to go into the future living it as you would have wanted for him to go on if you were the first to go. He wants no less, that is love. seek more love to reside right next to his and those 3 others. Each and every love brings happiness and helps the others to grow even stronger. each and everyone is a permanent part of your soul. At times like these, I like to use the following quote as something to cling to, "Do not cry because it has ended, smile because it happened". He was a part of your life and will always be a good part of your past.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all, I know what a sad, painful time this is. May you find the strength to face the new day, and seek its beauty and happiness to help you through this. Take care of yourself......RIP precious Sammy. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks to be a real sweetie, and you handled the end stoically…at least his passing was with you, and fairly painlessly. You extended his quality of life to a great extent; you were lucky to find each other. Maybe when you feel better, you can tell us more about the mushrooms, as I have never heard of that!
I used mushroom defense from Chewy. It's a mixture that fires up the animal's natural defense. Some of the mushrooms interfere with cancer reproduction. This morning I missed him, so it was time to give him his mushroom dose. And his stuff Lickums.
I miss him.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
" I decided that it was more important to let him go than keep him for me and the wife. "

That is true love.

Sammy had an extra year of life thanks to you and that was after you saved him as a kitten.

Sorry for your loss. It can feel like the years of joy together are suddenly turned into an equal amount of pain and sadness that is delivered all at once.

But in time it will be manageable and Sammy will always be your in your heart and memories.

He would not want you to be sad. Keep living and loving.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just read about your darling Sammy. Sorry for the very late condolences. Such a beautiful sweet boy. He was lucky to have such a loving caring family. It’s extremely hard dealing with a loss of your precious baby. :redheartpump:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am late to reply; but I am so sorry for your loss.
sammy sounds like an amazing cat. He knew true love! You gave him something very special— love.
Remember that. And Sammy gave it back to you, in the only ways he could. ❤❤

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only happened to read about Sammy now, and I want to express my condolences for your loss.
Sammy was a very handsome cat, and he bravely fought along with you, to be on your side as long as possible. He surely was a faithful friend, and showed your gratitude in many ways.
RIP Sammy, your big heart won't be forgotten.