Salmonella

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat a raw chicken gizzard 3 times a week for a treat and to help prevent dental problems. Should I be concerned about salmonella?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've not fed my boy anything raw before but here's an article on Salmonella :-

Salmonella In Cats - 9 Things Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

Maybe others who have been feeding what you are feeding can chimp in.
Thanks for the article. Very informative. I have been alternating the gizzard with 2 tsp Fromms dry as a snack. Think I'll omit the raw gizzard and just go with the dry food as a snack to go along with the wet canned diet.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the article. Very informative. I have been alternating the gizzard with 2 tsp Fromms dry as a snack. Think I'll omit the raw gizzard and just go with the dry food as a snack to go along with the wet canned diet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many, many people here feed raw. We have an entire forum devoted to it. My answer would be "no, you should not have to worry about it". Plus Gizzards are a very good way for them to clean their teeth. Why not check out that Raw Forum:
Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll check it out. I have read more on this since I first posted and think the benefits of continuing with the gizzard outweigh the risk, which is small. The extra taurine and teeth cleaning is what I am after.