Salmon oil vs Sardine/Anchovy oil

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me the difference between salmon oil and sardine/anchovy oil when it comes to raw feeding? I've been using salmon oil, but it's expensive (not that sardine oil is much cheaper), so I just wanted to see if there was a big difference between the too.

Also, how do you guys include the oil? I usually take the food out of the fridge, pour half of a tiny scooper of powdered lysine on top, one squirt of salmon oil from the bottle, and then mix for like 20 seconds before serving. Does anyone add oil during the original mix process (before it all goes into the freezer)?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use fish oil, and I add them to the batch of food before portioning and freezing. I add it to the batch because that's how Dr. P does it and I use fish oil mainly to possibly lower mercury levels.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use human fish oil capsules.  I was using Krill Oil but wasn't really noticing a difference in my arthritis kitties so went back to fish oil.  I mix them in my mix when I make it up every 2 weeks and freeze the individual meals.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Krill oil because that's what was recommended on this site. I forget why--perhaps has to do with less possibility of 'heavy metals'. Same reason you're advised to feed, for example, sardines packed in water versus tuna fish.
I feed raw, not ground. I use a human-grade Krill oil which comes in a capsule. It is encased in a hard shell which frankly is hard to break open and sprinkle on Ritz' raw food. But it's cheaper than the pump, though when I've finished this batch of Krill oil, I may try to find an inexpensive vendor.