Safe Weight Loss For Percy

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Percy and Jasper are nearly 10 months old now. Up until this point they were free fed dry kibble and given a little wet food in the morning and at night. However, I stopped feeding the dry food and I’m instead going to give 4 smaller meals of wet food throughout the day, as Percy was overeating when allowed to free feed. I’m also going to feed the boys separately to avoid issues with Percy taking Jasper’s food.
Jasper is at a lean and healthy 10 pounds, but Percy is visibly overweight at a little over 14, and I’d like to figure out how to safely help him lose some weight.
I tried looking at some calorie calculators online, but the answers ranged wildly and I was quite honestly confused. I’m trying to figure out how many calories Percy should have per day to lose some weight, and how many calories Jasper should have each day to maintain his current, healthy weight.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember your other thread on Percy and Jasper so am happy to hear you've stopped feeding the dry food and are going to feed four small meals through the day.

I'm not a calorie counter, largely because of the disparities you mention: it's very hard to know how much is right and that's more difficult with a kitten. Someone like orange&white orange&white might be able to help out. Do you have a picture of just Percy that shows his shape?

In any case, taking Percy off the dry food is a good start and feeding him low-carb foods without grains, potatoes, peas, and the like (I think this was mentioned on your other thread, right?) would be a good second step. In some situations, when cats are fed meals instead of free-fed, they start to self-regulate. (Our vet suggests a method like this for weight loss...) We've definitely noticed that our cat who has a tendency to get a little chunky is better at self-regulation now that she and her sister are fed separately, on a schedule.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, here's my thought. These are still kittens and need to eat a lot because they are still growing and will be for at least a couple more months if not longer.

Rather than trying to feed less, why don't you do as you are with less carby canned food as suggested, get Percy to be more active and let him grow into his weight.
Also, not that you are but don't lose sight of the fact that Jasper is still growing as well and his weight will probably need to naturally increase.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, here's my thought. These are still kittens and need to eat a lot because they are still growing and will be for at least a couple more months if not longer.

Rather than trying to feed less, why don't you do as you are with less carby canned food as suggested, get Percy to be more active and let him grow into his weight.
Also, not that you are but don't lose sight of the fact that Jasper is still growing as well and his weight will probably need to naturally increase.
I think you and I are suggesting roughly the same thing: since Percy's still a kitten and hasn't fully matured, he still needs to eat quite a bit but if he's fed high-protein, low-carb canned food, he'll probably normalize, both in terms of appetite and weight. Meanwhile, feed Jasper a whole lot! :)

(My head is spinning from hay fever, it's hard to be logical!)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think removing the kibble may solve the problem just by getting rid of those starches and carbs. If not, then you need to count the current calories per day, and cut back a few calories for a week or two and see if Percy loses some of the excess weight.

It is unusual for a 10 month old kitten to be overweight, but the kitten I raised last year was looking slightly pudgy by 11 months, so I stopped feeding her all she wanted and put her on set calories at that time.

My kitties get weighed every 10 days to 2 weeks, and I just make small tweaks in their calorie intake as needed to maintain healthy weights.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, with the feeding high protein, moderate fat, and low carbs. Feed them 4 or 5 times a day, as much as they want during meals. they are still kittens and i would not want to see them restricted too much in their food. they are still developing.

Pulling away from the high carbs, and high fat, you need to watch for that too, and i think everyone's weight will even out over the next few months as they mature.

I feed a variety of wet, i try to make sure the protein is higher than the fat, and i will go as high as 15% for carbs, but i try to keep it less for most meals, under 10%. for dry the only one i feed is Dr elseys chicken. its very low carb and my guys self regulate on it quite well.

I really like her list for counting protein, fat and carbs

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf