Safe human food for treats

cuddlemum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What human foods is safe for cats to eat, my cat is always scrounging for leftovers when we eat.
He had a bit of fish and cheese on different times. He does get cheeky and climbs of the seat to have a closer look.
What foods are okay in small doses ? Also if giving meats what is the best way to cook them?

I have read the articles on foods that are harmful, but do we have a list of safe ones? Eg main food groups fruits, veggies, meats, cereals, dairy etc etc.

I know they should eat meat and he does eat his food, but he always on the look out for more food, he is a little on the tubby side, we bought him two weeks ago. I think he was given scraps before. He is very food driven lol

I am looking at changing him to wet food also in the next few weeks and on the look out for tinned food. Hasn't started in anything though.
He is on a science diet at the moment and is a large cat to start with. But am changing him over to something that looks more like cat food instead of dried crunchy pellets! Tinned food does look more appetising to start with than dry food lol.

We have a budgie and give him safe foods as treats, don't want our bear to be left out. I feel for him sometimes.

Also Might be a stupid question but I understand that cats are lactose intolerant (I am myself and I know what thinks have low lactase, ) but my question is what is the difference between lactose free milk that humans drink and special lactose free cat milk?

Can they have our lactose free milk? I haven't given him anything like that but we bought some lactose free cat milk by Whiskas, just wondering if there is a difference?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as it's less than 10% of the caloric intake, healthy human food is ok. A few teaspoons of plain yogurt (no sugar fruit or artificial sweeteners) is good, a little cooked or semi cooked egg yolk (no uncooked egg white), a little cooked chicken meat. Just no added salt etc.

If you do this, try and give them the treat in a plate on the floor, so they don't get trained into thinking your plate of food is their plate of food lol

Bravo makes freeze dried treats that are very healthy and practically human grade! I had to place a piece in my cats mouth to get him to taste it but now he LOVES them.

I surmise the difference in the milks is that cat lactose free milk likely has vitamins that cats require, like taurine, in it.

I'll look up the no no foods and list them but off the top of my head, no chocolate, no caffeine, no onions or garlic, no raisens or grapes, and remember all forms of lilies as well as their pollen is extremely toxic to cats.

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/top-10-cat-poisons

Last edited:

captain dave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you do this, try and give them the treat in a plate on the floor, so they don't get trained into thinking your plate of food is their plate of food lol

Now THAT'S the REAL trick, isn't it? LOL!!!

Just about every single time I sit down to eat, Abby is right there in my plate. I have to shoo her away, sometimes even scold her, telling her that no, this is MY food, and get your face out of it!

It doesn't matter what I have - nachos, pizza, fried rice, fettuccine, even just a bag of microwave popcorn, she's right there with this expectant look on her face and already extending a paw toward it...sigh...

Kids. 

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the only human food mine get is Boar's Head low sodium chicken or turkey breast. I buy it just or them and it's used as a treat every now and then.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find if cats are feed a good quality grain free wet food, they don't beg as much as dry food eaters.
I think there might be something to this! Once our cats got settled into a good food rotation, they showed a lot less interest in human food.

My personal feeling about giving human food for cats is to not do it: lots of cats, particularly rescue cats, which ours are, can be so fixated on food and food smells that it's easy for them to start expecting something as soon as they smell it in the kitchen, particularly if they've asked once and gotten something. I do let our two eat bits of chicken or cheese that might fall on the floor when I'm cooking but that's about it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually agree and have noticed this in Robin too!
I think I'd agree as well. My 3 don't beg at all. Even when I bring out a slice of the chicken or turkey I have to ask if they want some.  This question brings Lily running from wherever she is:

"Lily! Do you want some of this?" Henry and Sophie don't react at all. I usually have to go to them but if Sophie sees Lily getting something, she will come over and investigate. Henry won't. He is definitely not food centric like they are. Sometimes he will take treats but it's not often. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stick with meat as treats. Cats don't need fruit or veggies or grains or other "food groups" in their diet. Only feed raw meat (or organs or bone) or plain cooked meat (no salt, pepper, garlic, seasonings, etc). Poached (in water only) chicken and other poultry are great as treats. You can cut the meat into bite sized pieces and freeze for later use. The poaching water can be frozen along with the treats to make a sort of "broth" when the meat is later thawed out for feeding. Never feed raw ground supermarket meat. Supermarket ground meat may have bacteria mixed throughout it (who knows how clean the store grinder is). Cooking will kill any bacteria but if you feed it raw, your cat might get an upset tummy. It's preferred to buy a whole cut of meat, like chicken breast, and chop it yourself.
What human foods is safe for cats to eat, my cat is always scrounging for leftovers when we eat.

Also Might be a stupid question but I understand that cats are lactose intolerant (I am myself and I know what thinks have low lactase, ) but my question is what is the difference between lactose free milk that humans drink and special lactose free cat milk?

Special cat milk like Catsip is low fat milk that contains lactase enzyme to help a cat digest the milk proteins and it also contains taurine as well. The Whiskas Cat Milk product contains corn syrup and carrageenan and a bunch of other stuff cats don't need in their diet so I wouldn't feed this particular brand.

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've found cats & dogs like the regular variety of Pemingan's beef jerky. Especially when they see you eating it, and it's cheaper than the pet food varieties.

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never feed my cats table scraps. My father does with his cat and it begs all meal long, just terrible, so bad I don't want to eat there.

I also found my cats rarely bag for treats since feeding quality canned foods. They seemed always hungry when I was feeding NVI dry & Friskies canned.

bilnjon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the best food for a cat. I feed Missy Kitty Purina Gentle , but I read so much about diets for cats and it is overwelming. I don't know much about cats, as this girl was a stray or a throw out of a car deal.. Either way she choose me and after a hefty vet bill she is here to stay. I take the care of my pets very seriously, and I want to do what's best for her and her health. Any information would be helpful. According to my vet they do not recommend the wet foods. Thankful for any help on this matter.

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

captain dave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Only feed raw meat (or organs or bone) ...
I have to disagree, in part, with LTS3.

Due to the way that meat is processed these days, I'm often leery of feeding raw meat to my babies (even though I have given them little morsels of hamburger or fish here and there on occasion), but organs? That's always an "iffy" one.

I'd definitely say "no" to any type of liver as it is too easy for Vitamin A toxicity.

As for bone - no poultry bones as they can (and do) splinter; however, making a bone stock (no seasonings or salt, please!!) and then giving them some of it (when it's cooled, obviously) in with their wet food or over their kibble, will give them the rich flavor and the various vitamins and nutrients present in the marrow.

Pork is another product that you may want to first poach, steam, or blanch in order to avoid any possibility of trichinosis. 

As always, your mileage may vary, and definitely research is suggested before making a final decision on what to feed and what not to feed.

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have to disagree, in part, with LTS3.

Due to the way that meat is processed these days, I'm often leery of feeding raw meat to my babies (even though I have given them little morsels of hamburger or fish here and there on occasion), but organs? That's always an "iffy" one.

I'd definitely say "no" to any type of liver as it is too easy for Vitamin A toxicity.

As for bone - no poultry bones as they can (and do) splinter; however, making a bone stock (no seasonings or salt, please!!) and then giving them some of it (when it's cooled, obviously) in with their wet food or over their kibble, will give them the rich flavor and the various vitamins and nutrients present in the marrow.

Pork is another product that you may want to first poach, steam, or blanch in order to avoid any possibility of trichinosis. 

As always, your mileage may vary, and definitely research is suggested before making a final decision on what to feed and what not to feed.
There are lots of companies that sell raw meat specifically for raw pet feeding, a popular one here and with raw feeders (like myself) is Hare Today. Feeding grocery store meat without par-cooking or grinding yourself is not recommended due to bacteria concerns. Raw meat/bones/organs that are properly balanced are completely safe and healthy to feed. In fact, they are the best thing you can feed your cat, considering they are obligate carnivores. Cooked bones, however, should never be fed. 

kiciakocia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty loves avocados. I can't even prepare a meal without him climbing onto the bench top and try to steal it. My housmate's cat knows how to cat and hates even the tiniest bit of avocado. However, Scotty will cry and beg until he gets his share. Weird. He's not begging for normal stuff like chicken or fish as much. I read a lot of articles on avocados being poisonous but Scotty seems ok. His poop is good and his coat shiny and he is one happy playful kitty