Saddle Thrombus Question

HouseCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone's cat been diagnosed with saddle thrombus? It's a blood clot in the aorta area that takes blood to the back legs. Our town's overnight emergency vet recommended euthanasia because the prognosis is so poor but has anyone else had a different treatment? Thanks. My friend's cat, Woody, got an attack today.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign: I'm sorry it's such a sad reason that brought you here :(

I lost a cat to saddle thrombus early last year. The prognosis really is poor, and it's very rare for the resulting paralysis to be reversed. Keep in mind, too, that cats are very clean animals by nature, and the incontinence that tends to come along with saddle thrombus is distressing to the cat too, especially as it means they'll need to be partially bathed to get them clean again (not something most cats take kindly to at the best of times).

My instinct in these situations is always to euthanize. Even with pain managment, the cat becomes distressed, and confused as to why it's body isn't responding normally. Saddle thrombus is often excruciatingly painful too, and I personally would hate to see a cat go through all that pain and distress, only to pass away a few days later. In all my years of cat (and dog) ownership, the cases where I kept fighting too long are the ones that haunt me, not the ones where I euthanized and spared them hours or days worth of pain and struggling. I think you'll find many other people here who feel the same way.
When Is It Time? - Making The Difficult Decision

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you and your baby are dealing with this. I, too had a cat diagnosed with it. After talking to the vet we decided it best to euthanize even though it broke our hearts. I asked about treatment and recovery and was told that even if (that was a BIG if) she pulled through chances of her throwing another clot were very high. She was in immense pain. We couldn't put her through that. This was close to 20 years ago and there isn't a day that goes by that she isn't missed, but I know we did the right thing. I wish I had a better story for you.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with opinions above. The prognosis is so poor and the pain so great that euthanasia is the only kind option. I am so sorry about your friend’s cat. Sending both of you comforting hugs.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
H HouseCats .............has your friend made any decision on treatment (vs euthanasia)...........more importantly, is the cat still alive ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HouseCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
H HouseCats .............has your friend made any decision on treatment (vs euthanasia)...........more importantly, is the cat still alive.
Hi,
I'm the the friend with the cat named Woody. I did decide to euthanize.I kept him at the vet about 10 hours after we took him in hoping against hope that he might get better or that there was something that could be done; I consulted with my regular vet, and another vet at the emergency clinic where he was at and with the cardio clinic and after all that it just seemed best to put him to sleep.
What makes it hard is that this happened while I was on vacation. I started home about 6:00 am Sunday local time traveling about 18 hours to get home and looking forward to seeing my cats and my girlfriend only to walk in and find Woody laid low with the Saddle Thrombus. Who knows when it happened; when my girlfriend left Saturday night at about 6 he was OK and when she came back Sunday afternoon she found him stricken.
The vacation was OK; but every time I go away all I think about is being at home with the cats and the girlfriend ; I would rather have had the extra 10 days with Woody and the hell with Switzerland.I miss Woody a lot. He was one of the four best cats in the world.
Mark

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'm the the friend with the cat named Woody. I did decide to euthanize.I kept him at the vet about 10 hours after we took him in hoping against hope that he might get better or that there was something that could be done; I consulted with my regular vet, and another vet at the emergency clinic where he was at and with the cardio clinic and after all that it just seemed best to put him to sleep.
What makes it hard is that this happened while I was on vacation. I started home about 6:00 am Sunday local time traveling about 18 hours to get home and looking forward to seeing my cats and my girlfriend only to walk in and find Woody laid low with the Saddle Thrombus. Who knows when it happened; when my girlfriend left Saturday night at about 6 he was OK and when she came back Sunday afternoon she found him stricken.
The vacation was OK; but every time I go away all I think about is being at home with the cats and the girlfriend ; I would rather have had the extra 10 days with Woody and the hell with Switzerland.I miss Woody a lot. He was one of the four best cats in the world.
Mark
I’m so sorry for your loss.

Cecilia & Nino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Nino was just diagnose with saddle thrombosis, Nino has been at the vet since last Thursday and he will probably be released to my care tomorrow.
I have been reading about this and I have hope that he will make and recovers.
Nino is 12 years old and I love him, I am devastated by the news, he has lost mobility in his hind legs, I am too attached to him and this past week has been terrible, I am desperately looking for answers and advice.
I live in Dubai, not sure about the quality of vets here, so far I have gotten great care, though it took multiple tests and MRI at the end to get the diagnosis.
Nino used to be 8.6 kgs 2 years ago and slowly started to lose weight.
One day I saw him lethargic, I took him to the vet (another one not the one where is staying now) and did full blood work.
It turns out that he had inflammation and infection but wasn't sure where, so he was given antibiotics.
He seemed to be doing better and then one night, he vomited and right after, he was paralyzed on the left leg.
I rushed him to the emergency, it was a bit passed midnight, the vet wasn't sure what it was but he was given pain killers, antibiotics and steroids to improve the leg, he stayed for 3 days and he was limping but he was better.
I brought him home where he seemed to be recovering, he was still on meds but his appetitive was still poor.
I took him for check up after 3 days and he was ok.
The same night after the check up, he vomited again and then he got both of his legs paralyzed, I rushed him again to emergency, it was a bit passed 2 am and he has been there for almost a week.
The second time that I took him the vet cut his nail deep and he was not bleeding, it was frustrating not to know what he had, I asked for a MRI which he got 3 days later (only 2 vets in Dubai have the MRI machine) and this is when a partial diagnosis took place.
I have visited with Nino everyday during my lunch break and after work, so he knows that I am fighting with him, I hope he can feel my love, I try not to move him but I take him out of the vet in my arms all afternoons so he gets sun and wind in his face, he loves it, his legs are paralyzed but he moves his ears and has his eyes wide open, he feels curious at whatever is around him.
I am scared to bring him home, he needs blood thinners and heart medication for as long as he lives, I am just afraid that he is in pain or that he dies any minute.
This has been such a stressful week, I am emotionally exhausted, I can't eat, I just think about improving the situation and how can Nino have a normal life.

Any advise from the cat parents of ST cat survivors?
Thank you

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Cecilia & Nino and welcome to the forum !

I have not dealt with ST in any of my cats.

There are two large threads here about ST and I'll list them as well as the most recent story.

There are many reliable Veterinary references available. If you go looking online, make sure what you read is from a reliable veterinary source (and not from a lay person, or even worse, a 'crazy cat guy/lady!). And, make sure they are recent pieces, because much can and does change quickly in veterinary medicine. People are not aware that there is a ton of research that is ongoing in feline medicine, and new discoveries are being made all the time. I'll give you one reputable reference, last updated last year: Feline Aortic Thromboembolism (FATE or Saddle Thrombus) - Veterinary Partner - VIN

When you read of other peoples' experiences here, keep in mind that every cat is an individual and their response to identical treatments will not be identical....and, people and their cats may not have been given either the same information or treatment at that time....and, it's possible their Vets were not acting with the most current information at the time (as sadly, not all Vets stay up-to-date with innovation).

Here are the threads:
I believe you understand that ST isn't a condition/disease in itself....it's a symptom/result of heart disease, so a cat's long term prognosis must judged within that larger picture.

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like this is an old thread but just wanted to say that my cat threw a clot 3 years ago and was lucky enough to survive it. He did pass away last week but from kidney failure. He didnt have use of his legs for about a day but we could see that he was regaining control after a couple of hours and eventually made a full use of his legs again. We got him diagnosed asap with heart disease and put him on heart meds and plavix and it was touch and go for 2 weeks while the meds kicked in but he did live 3 more years and was happy until he got the other conditions. So there is hope but it's rare unfortunately. We were thankful every day we had Wamba.