Sad News About Keith Today

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After skipping his dose of antibiotic last night, Keith was much improved this morning. I got him to eat a few tablespoons of gerber pumpkin baby food (just pumpkin and water) and a can of fancy feast. He has come out of hiding too.
I called the vet and am waiting for a call back. Don't know if they are going to switch antibiotics or prescribe an additional med for nausea.

I don't see any harm in adding in a probiotic right now. It's good practice throughout a course of a/bs anyway, as it helps against the antibiotic's wrecking the natural flora in the gut system. The probiotic should be given mid-way between a/b doses. (I use this one natural Factors Ultimate Multi Probiotic - any natural supplements store should have it.

Thanks white shadow white shadow for all the good info! I have some probiotics now but am unsure about dosage. I asked the vet's office but she couldn't give me any guidance because mine is human probiotics. The active ingredients are bifidobacterium bifidum, bifidobacterium longum, and lacticacillus gasseri. There is no mention of mg. Recommended dosage for a HUMAN is one capsule daily. I'm thinking I could sprinkle a very small amount (maybe 1/8th of capsule) on his food? I'm just afraid of over-doing it.
I really need to get his diarrhea under control, not just for his comfort, but I'm pretty sure diarrhea can mess up blood sugar and insulin dosage as well.
Oh, FWIW, he had a parasite screen that came up negative.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some probiotics now but am unsure about dosage....I'm thinking I could sprinkle a very small amount...I'm just afraid of over-doing it. I really need to get his diarrhea under control.
I can only say that I use 1/2 capsule at a time when I need to get really loose stools under control.

FWIW.....check the ingredients in the natural Factors product.....while I'm no expert on these, the nF has quite a few more varieties/strains than the one you referenced - maybe next time, consider it. My 'mentor' for pb's was sugarcatmom (who's been MIA for a while now)...here's a thread with a post by hers and also ldg on them....you can also do an advanced search for 'probiotics' by "sugarcatmon". Thread: pro-biotics...

Hope that helps.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only say that I use 1/2 capsule at a time when I need to get really loose stools under control.

FWIW.....check the ingredients in the natural Factors product.....while I'm no expert on these, the nF has quite a few more varieties/strains than the one you referenced - maybe next time, consider it. My 'mentor' for pb's was sugarcatmom (who's been MIA for a while now)...here's a thread with a post by hers and also ldg on them....you can also do an advanced search for 'probiotics' by "sugarcatmon". Thread: pro-biotics...

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much! I will check out the natural factors product, it was just that the probiotic that I listed was one I already have. I live in a very rural area so most of my shopping has to be done online.
Thanks again.:)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Benji had anemia too. He was meowing one day and playing and eating and the next he just didn't want anything. That is when everything started. The vet had said he had diabetes but then if he did he would want to eat and drink more but still his blood tests showed that. Then he took insulin for a week, we has another blood test and the blood sugar was dropping to almost normal, the vet told me to continue for a week and I gave it for 6 days. The last day I gave him the injection and I didn't see him well after it so I rubbed honey on his gums. The next day he was walking with his head down but two days later he was ok and then he wasn't again. It is so tiring inside seeing your beloved cat not well and not knowing what to do. And those stupid blood tests. Once he had problem with the liver then he didn't. Then he had problem with the kidneys then he didn't. Then diabetes and then dropping. I think nothing is accurate when it comes to pets. Or you have to have tests all the time.
:grouphug::grouphug2::hearthrob::hugs::redheartpump:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if the antibiotic is making Keith feel so bad. It's metronidazole 250mg.
The vet said it shouldn't make him sick, but I have read online that it can.
Metronidazole is (or was) the go-to antibiotic for vaginal yeast infections, which I used to get regularly. The entire time I was on Metronidazole I had a nasty metallic taste in my mouth. Food tasted bad, and even when I wasn't eating the taste was there in the background. The thing that made the nasty taste go away was drinking milk laced with Lactobacillus Adicophilus, so I would definitely be trying the probiotics for Keith now. (Incidentally, the folk remedy for vaginal yeast infections is yogurt with active cultures, so it's rather ironic that Metronidazole kills off all the good bacteria that can protect against yeast infections.)

Margret

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi weebeasties weebeasties . Not to distract you from the all-important job of focusing on Keith, but if you get a chance, let us know how he’s doing.
Thank you so much! I will check out the natural factors product, it was just that the probiotic that I listed was one I already have. I live in a very rural area so most of my shopping has to be done online.
Thanks again.:)
You can get the Cat Advita on ebay and it isn't much, like under $20. I'm giving my cat the same Antibiotic, so far I haven't seen any side effects but its only been 2 days. He also gets an appetite stimulant every 3 days (mirtazapine). I havent started with the Avita yet as I am going to check with the Vet. first.

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a lot of cats? i keep my cats food seperated by using the Surefeed feeders. they are not cheap. but they have been a amazing for me. they respond to a microchip. since it is sealed you can leave the wet food for a few hours fresh. it wont keep the food cold, but without the air getting in, the food tends to last a few hours.

my cats eat only their own portions now.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't responded sooner. Life has been hectic. I seem to have some seriously bad mojo this year. One crisis after another.
Friday after work I go to Petsmart to pick up an assortment of "novel protien" food. Vet thinks it might help with Keith's diarrhea. Spend $75. Load it into car. Try to close car door. Won't shut. Latch broken. Door literally flapping in the breeze. Contact Ford. Oh, yes, that was a safety recall that I missed. They will fix it for free, but can't do it until Monday. Ok. Fine.
Get home with Keith's new food. He won't touch it. Try four different brands, three different flavors. Nope. Offer it to other cats so it doesn't go to waste. Nope. No one will touch it. :sigh:
The good news is the antinausea meds are working and Keith will eat. Just not novel protein so far. He wants chicken.
I think his poop is firming up a little too so yay!:yess:
Got to get ready for work, will post a better update soon. Thanks for all the advice and concern everybody. You all are amazing.:)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't responded sooner. Life has been hectic. I seem to have some seriously bad mojo this year. One crisis after another.
Friday after work I go to Petsmart to pick up an assortment of "novel protien" food. Vet thinks it might help with Keith's diarrhea. Spend $75. Load it into car. Try to close car door. Won't shut. Latch broken. Door literally flapping in the breeze. Contact Ford. Oh, yes, that was a safety recall that I missed. They will fix it for free, but can't do it until Monday. Ok. Fine.
Get home with Keith's new food. He won't touch it. Try four different brands, three different flavors. Nope. Offer it to other cats so it doesn't go to waste. Nope. No one will touch it. :sigh:
The good news is the antinausea meds are working and Keith will eat. Just not novel protein so far. He wants chicken.
I think his poop is firming up a little too so yay!:yess:
Got to get ready for work, will post a better update soon. Thanks for all the advice and concern everybody. You all are amazing.:)
:heartshape::whiskers: :frustrated::seesaw: :runaround::dunno::gaah::vibes::vibes::goodluck::grouphug2::grouphug::poop::poop::poop:

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so glad your Keith is getting better. After all your efforts. When you have time let us know. I hope all bad things surrounding you go away. I know how it is. I fix one thing another one breaks down. The garage door, the roof etc and i am all alone to take care of everything. And for a month all my concentration was on Benji so everything else didn't matter for that time. So I know how it is. But Keith is your number one care and I know you feel that way too. Waiting for good news! My prayers with you.