Sad News About Keith Today

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Keith to the vet today because I was concerned about some episodes of diarrhea he has been having.
Since it had been almost 10 months since his last labwork, I told them to go ahead and do a blood panel. They have to send out his sample and will get the results tomorrow but they checked his blood sugar there and told me Keith is diabetic.:(
I guess we will be starting him on Lantus insulin in the next few days.
He never showed any symptoms of diabetes except excessive drinking, but he has always been a drinker. He even learned how to turn on the faucet in our bathroom!
My poor sweet boy...he is in for some rough changes in is life.:(
20180211_171140.jpg
20171112_034229.jpg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
What a gorgeous boy! My guy was on Lantus. Pricey stuff but my local Costco filled his prescription and it was quite a bit less expensive than ordering online...by about $35 or $40 per pen.

Have you had diabetic cats before? I found so much support from the Lantus forum at felinediabetes.com. Max was diagnosed at age 17 and lived to 20, but it was a steep learning curve for me and I made mistakes. But he was so good about his shots.

Sending good vibes to you and your beautiful puffball! :vibes:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
This should help with the expense: GoodRx for Pets - GoodRx

I was using GoodRx for my prescriptions for a whole year when I didn't have health insurance - it made a huge difference.

Margret
Those are great prices if you break it down per pen! The challenge, though, is that you have to buy five pens. Cats get such a tiny amount of insulin that the other four pens will go bad before you use up the first one. I was buying mine at vetrxdirect.com (they have outstanding customer service) where they’re $108 per pen with overnight shipping, required because of refrigeration, adding another $20. But my vet worked out a deal with our local Costco to break up the set of five and sell singles. I was paying about $84 per pen, a big savings.

That $84 price was more than a year ago, btw. It may have gone up. Everything does, unfortunately. Also, I used Covidien Monoject Insulin U100 insulin syringes (29G 1/2cc 1/2) because they had more precise markings if you needed to give, for example, 2.5 instead of 2 or 3 units.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, let me say that Keith is absolutely stunning. What an extremely handsome bi-color boy. :bicolorcat: I'm so sorry to hear the news about his diagnosis of diabetes. I know you will take good care of him and thought this Article may be helpful to you:
Introduction To Feline Diabetes

Good luck with your sweet boy. :hugs: Sending special thoughts your way. :vibes:

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those are great prices if you break it down per pen! The challenge, though, is that you have to buy five pens.

Another option would be to take the GoodRx coupon to a Walgreens store....we are required by company policy now to break boxes of insulin pens. So if you only wanted to buy one pen at a time, they would allow it.

Also, allow me to adjust my pharmacist hat here and mention that Lantus (both pens and vials) expire 28 days after they are open/used. That doesn't mean they instantaneously go bad at day 29, but there isn't a guarantee that the insulin will work properly after that 28 days goes by. A completely outrageous price to pay for something you have to throw away in a month, but it is what it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for your well wishes, links, and advice.
I am still in a state of shock, I think. It has been a rough year for cats and humans in our household and I thought we had reached a point that I could catch my breath and not be in a constant state of worry...now poor Keith...:(
I'm still waiting for the vet to call back with the results of all his bloodwork. I'm trying to work out a feeding schedule that will work for all the cats. I want to put Keith on all wet, but one of ours wont eat wet at all, the others are grazers that like to have a little nibble of dry throughout the day. Keith is the only one who gorges himself.
I've looked over a little of the information on the feline diabetes website. We do have a little experience with diabetes. Years ago our boy Buster was on Prozinc insulin for four years before he passed away. Our vet thinks Lantus is the way to go with Keith. He thinks there is a *chance* he can go into remission on Lantus.
At least I know we won't have a problem injecting Keith wirh insulin. He is so sweet and good-natured you can do practically anything to him and he'll just purr. Our vet even kissed him on the top of the head yesterday because he was being so sweet. :catrub:
Thanks again everyone. I'm still tying to process all the information.:runaround:

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your Keith is so beautiful. I am sorry he has diabetes but in some cases they go into remission. I only had to inject my cat for 10 days with insulin (another brand as I live in Greece) and I used a syringe from the pharmacy and gave him 2 units. It was very easy but I don't know if it can work for a cat who has to take it whole life long. I hope Keith is soon fine and not need any insulin injections!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for your well wishes, links, and advice.
I am still in a state of shock, I think. It has been a rough year for cats and humans in our household and I thought we had reached a point that I could catch my breath and not be in a constant state of worry...now poor Keith...:(
I'm still waiting for the vet to call back with the results of all his bloodwork. I'm trying to work out a feeding schedule that will work for all the cats. I want to put Keith on all wet, but one of ours wont eat wet at all, the others are grazers that like to have a little nibble of dry throughout the day. Keith is the only one who gorges himself.
I've looked over a little of the information on the feline diabetes website. We do have a little experience with diabetes. Years ago our boy Buster was on Prozinc insulin for four years before he passed away. Our vet thinks Lantus is the way to go with Keith. He thinks there is a *chance* he can go into remission on Lantus.
At least I know we won't have a problem injecting Keith wirh insulin. He is so sweet and good-natured you can do practically anything to him and he'll just purr. Our vet even kissed him on the top of the head yesterday because he was being so sweet. :catrub:
Thanks again everyone. I'm still tying to process all the information.:runaround:
Awwww, Keith. And your vet, too! :) Kiss his sweet head for me, too.

Max started on Prozinc. When we moved, our new vet switched him to Lantus. I had three hypoglycemia scares with Max on Prozinc. Freaked me out so much that I just started to leave the corn syrup on the counter so I could yell at The Spouse to fetch it quickly while I cradled Max in my arms on the floor. Poor Max. Those episodes ended up with both of us smeared with corn syrup. It seems to me that I was able to regulate him better on Lantus.

Of course, that was my fault and my biggest mistake: I took too long to get up the courage to home test and was basically “shooting blind” without knowing his BG level. I was so angry at myself because home testing is easy and he took the ear pricks like a champ. The Lantus subforum folks on the feline diabetes site really helped me get through it. So much experience and understanding there, but just like this site, they’re quick to tell you to check with your vet.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got the blood results back and there is more worrisome news. Keith is also slightly anemic. Pairing that with the diarrhea he has been having lately, he is concerned that Keith may have a more serious issue going on.
Today Keith is not feeling well and not really interested in food. He was perscibed an antibiotic for the diarrhea yesterday, but so far no improvement. I am supposed to pick up his insulin and start tomorrow, but I can't if he wont eat. So far today he has only licked the gravy off of the wet food and eaten a handful of treats.
This has come on so fast. He was eating fine yesterday. He was playing with the wand toy the day before. Jumping and leaping. Today he's mostly sleeping. He's usually so talkative too and he has been so quiet today. Really worried.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, Keith. And your vet, too! :) Kiss his sweet head for me, too.

Max started on Prozinc. When we moved, our new vet switched him to Lantus. I had three hypoglycemia scares with Max on Prozinc. Freaked me out so much that I just started to leave the corn syrup on the counter so I could yell at The Spouse to fetch it quickly while I cradled Max in my arms on the floor. Poor Max. Those episodes ended up with both of us smeared with corn syrup. It seems to me that I was able to regulate him better on Lantus.

Of course, that was my fault and my biggest mistake: I took too long to get up the courage to home test and was basically “shooting blind” without knowing his BG level. I was so angry at myself because home testing is easy and he took the ear pricks like a champ. The Lantus subforum folks on the feline diabetes site really helped me get through it. So much experience and understanding there, but just like this site, they’re quick to tell you to check with your vet.
We had a couple of those scares with Buster as well. We rubbed honey on his gums and he was ok, but the experience was terrifying.
We always had such a hard time getting the blood sample from his ear. I know there were a times I had to stick him 3 times! Hopefully I will be better at it now.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
We had a couple of those scares with Buster as well. We rubbed honey on his gums and he was ok, but the experience was terrifying.
We always had such a hard time getting the blood sample from his ear. I know there were a times I had to stick him 3 times! Hopefully I will be better at it now.
I finally gave up on the little spring loaded auto sticker thing. I could NOT get a drop of blood using it, and Max, even tempered though he was, was justifiably annoyed with me. I finally started doing the stick freehand and got really good at hitting that teeny vein that runs around the edge of their ear. It helped to gently rub his ear between my fingertips first because often his little gray ears were kind of cold.

I’m so sorry to hear Keith is feeling rotten. Poor guy. The only cat food Max would eat reliably was Fancy Feast Classic chicken pâté. I also gave him Trader Joe’s tuna and the juice, the kind with absolutely no additives.

Eat, Keith, eat! Then Mom can give you insulin and you’ll feel loads better. And so will Mom.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if the antibiotic is making Keith feel so bad. It's metronidazole 250mg.
The vet said it shouldn't make him sick, but I have read online that it can.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just did a quick search on metronidazole here on TCS and several threads popped up. Check this one out:
Your Experiences With Metronidazole?
There are several others. Sounds like some of Keith’s symptoms.
Yes, I read that one and also checked out petmd website. The vet's office is already closed so I think I will skip his dose tonight and see how he feels in the morning. He's feeling pretty bad at the moment and has resorted to hiding under a chair. :(

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I read that one and also checked out petmd website. The vet's office is already closed so I think I will skip his dose tonight and see how he feels in the morning. He's feeling pretty bad at the moment and has resorted to hiding under a chair. :(
Poor little button. I would have skipped it, too. Virtual gentle hug for Keith from a long way away.

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Benji had anemia too. He was meowing one day and playing and eating and the next he just didn't want anything. That is when everything started. The vet had said he had diabetes but then if he did he would want to eat and drink more but still his blood tests showed that. Then he took insulin for a week, we has another blood test and the blood sugar was dropping to almost normal, the vet told me to continue for a week and I gave it for 6 days. The last day I gave him the injection and I didn't see him well after it so I rubbed honey on his gums. The next day he was walking with his head down but two days later he was ok and then he wasn't again. It is so tiring inside seeing your beloved cat not well and not knowing what to do. And those stupid blood tests. Once he had problem with the liver then he didn't. Then he had problem with the kidneys then he didn't. Then diabetes and then dropping. I think nothing is accurate when it comes to pets. Or you have to have tests all the time.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi weebeasties !

I realize you've been checking out the Feline Diabetes website......those folks also run an online community forum that is universally recognized as the premiere go-to resource for FD - it's The Feline Diabetes Message Board and it's right here. I'd suggest you join up and post a summary of what's going on - you'll get great guidance there. @LTS3 is really familiar with these folks.

I don't see any harm in adding in a probiotic right now. It's good practice throughout a course of a/bs anyway, as it helps against the antibiotic's wrecking the natural flora in the gut system. The probiotic should be given mid-way between a/b doses. (I use this one natural Factors Ultimate Multi Probiotic - any natural supplements store should have it.

One more thing....a/bs can and do cause feelings of nausea/yucky-ness....you can help counter that with a small amount of food just before dosing...you could even syringe something really tasty for that.

Boy, can I empathize with that feeling that you're finally over the hill and in the clear.....only to get 'smacked' again. That was non-stop here for a while.