Sacrificial Furniture

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all have at least piece of furniture we have given up trying to stop the cats from shredding. Or maybe even encouraged them to use it instead of other pieces. Even if we have plenty of cat trees and scratching posts for them to use.

Mine is the corner of my box spring. I don't mind because 1 I would rather them shred that than our living room furniture and 2 it is hidden by my comforter so unless I show it, nobody knows. What is yours?
20210530_081726.jpg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the couch for us, so we stopped the yelling as it obviously did not help, and just bought covers in several colors and designs to hide the "crime" and to also save our vocal chords.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine don't scratch the furniture,I put double stick tape on the edges when they were kittens and redirected them to their scratching posts and cardboard scratchers that I had in just about every room. My problem is they try to use the carpeted stairs that go into the finished basement to scratch on,bitter apple helps to deter them,but not completely

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Rico used to pull himself along the bottom of the couch, shredding the liner as he went. It wasn't visible so I didn't worry about it. The other cats have mercifully left our furniture alone, they seem to be happy with their cat trees. :yess:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an old couch in the basement that our older cat, who has since passed many years go, would scratch. Although that couch should have been in the dump by now, we still have it until we can get a replacement. Our new group of kitties will claw at it in the same spots as the other cat did, but they don't mess with any other furniture. One of my boys started to when we first adopted him, on our recliner in the living room upstairs, but simply putting a scratch post in front of his scratch area stopped that. We've since moved the post and he still doesn't go for the recliner. I'll use the same tactic when we replace our basement couch as I did with the recliner if they decide to scratch at it, and if it works, we won't have any non-cat cat scratching surfaces.....well, we do have to scold them sometimes when they attempt to scratch the mattress/box spring in our bedroom...but it doesn't happen that often.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of my 4 cats, only one scratches where she shouldn't: wallpaper, furniture, windows, doors, wood, leather, plastic. I've given up as she does it to get attention and goes from one sofa to the next looking for somewhere to get under the throw so that she can start scratching. I don't replace much, but my newest buy, 2 box chairs, couldn't be draped so they soon had to be relegated from the living room - one to the rubbish tip and the second one to the bedroom, where it continues to be attacked. Perhaps it will work out cheaper than buying new scratching posts. :headscratch:

box chair.jpg