S.O.S. - Kinney has anorexia/anemia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was out on my walk through the woods yesterday and had time to think.  I just still can't believe my 5yo darling Kinney-Kins just suddenly came down with cancer and died.  And if they hadn't done that first transfusion, he would have been gone within 30 days.  It is still unbelievable to me how fast it all happened.  I was so fond of him.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dan, thanks for checking in.

It helps me personally to know what is normal; I sometimes disconnect from my feelings.  To the extent that I can't even 'go there' thinking about the what if.

You are courageous as was Kinney.

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dan32,
I hope you're doing okay. You're still in my thoughts and prayers. Hope the two boys are doing well also. :wavey: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Roxie.  It's real different around here with the two sleepy brothers.  They have gotten cuddlier now that Kinney is no longer performing nightly and stealing the show.  The mountains of Kinney's toys (and he had a lot) just sit untouched.  He used to move them all around the house on a daily basis - a little game he and I would always play.

I am at least relieved at not having to worry constantly about hourly feedings, compounded medicines, stressful weekly doctor visits, and the bills.  It was very hard to live in a constant state of anxiety all the time.  Now to reflect back on my summer, I just think how virulent his illness was and how seemingly hopeless I and the doctors were at preventing it from taking him.

I am waiting on a very special little brass box to contain his ashes that I bought from a UK antiques dealer.  I will put it with my collection of other unique brass "crypts" of cats special in my life now departed.

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seemed to happen so fast. I know it didn't feel fast to you. I wasn't the one trying to keep up with meds, doctor appointments, trying to get him to eat and all the other things you had to do. I was waiting for them to do the ultrasound to see if it was gone. The day after I got to my sisters in Colorado (sept. 12), I checked Kinney's thread and read the heartbreaking news. I went back into the house crying. My sister wanted to know what happened and I told her. She's a cat lover too and I had told her about Kinney's situation. I was hoping and praying that he would get through all the chemo and be okay. I know you were too. You did everything you could for him. You didn't make rash decisions. You did research and thought things through first. I really admire that. I can only imagine the stress you were under and the worry. It's a miracle you don't have an ulcer. I'm sure Kyle and Keegan miss him. Cats grieve in their own way. I know mine have over the years each time one passed away. I'm glad you're doing okay. Hopefully your special box will arrive soon. I finally got a bush planted on Callie's grave and one on my dog Cocoas. All the rest of them had a Wine and Roses bush on them. Six graves over a 15 year period. Four cats and two dogs. I hope I don't have to dig anymore for a long time. The upside is that they will all be waiting for us when we cross the rainbow bridge. Kinney had a wonderful life with you. He loved and knew he was loved in return. I'm going to send you a couple of pics of Bubba via private message. He's in Halloween costumes. Only long enough to snap a picture! Take care of yourself and the boys.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Roxie and Dan32, thank you for still posting about Kinney. Roxie everything you said was so true!

Dan32 I was wondering how you were doing too. The grieving process is really hard and I too think about how we spent a long time living with the ups and downs of Toby's treatment and hoping he was ok and not really knowing anything other than whatever symptoms he was showing at any given time. We had a lot of stress over his well being, what was happening, money of course as everything was so expensive :-( altho he was more precious than almost anything else in our lives and that made him worth it.

I still have days where I am with my remaining cats, and wish I still had Toby with me and I cry as he was so loving and special, our dearest boy. The other kitties, same as yours, Dan32, have gotten closer, and it has made it easier to integrate our kitty family although it was only due to Toby's death which I would give anything to put back- and cannot.

Dan32 thank you too for the information about the brass boxes, we have not done anything and mow I think we may try and find some special container for our boy as well as our girl Bell who died the year prior from chylothorax.