Russian Blues

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine is looking into getting a Russian Blue and out of curiosity, I started doing some research into this breed. I've always been fascinated with their color and eyes, but never knew much about them at all.

There's something I'm really confused about. I've heard somewhere before that cats with double coats tend to shed a lot (is that true?). Then I read on some sites that Russian Blues have double coats. So I assumed they are big shedders.

But then I see them on the list of low shedders and potentially good for allergy sufferers. I guess I'm a bit confused. Did I pick up some wrong info somewhere?

As an aside, British Shorthairs seem to have that plushy full thick (puffier?) coat while Abyssinians seem to have a sleeker coat that lies close to the body. At least based on what I've observed. Are the Russian Blue coats more like the BSHs or the Abys?

Just really curious since someone I know might be getting one.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I showed and bred RB's (was my first purebred) - they have a double coat, but they really don't shed out much like other thick coated breeds.

My Ocicat is a Aby/Siamese background and I was surprised and pleased to find out they shed about as much as a Cornish Rex sheds! My HHP has a ton of coat and she is shorthair but on the thicker side. She also is our 2nd biggest shedder in the house - the Lab tops it all (I love them but will not adopt another Lab cause they shed too much for us).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

they have a double coat, but they really don't shed out much like other thick coated breeds.
Ohh, okay. Thanks! So it's true what the articles say. They don't look like it, but I was surprised to read that they are double-coated.

Would you necessarily say they are 'low shedding' though? Now my friend wants to know because I got here all paranoid with the whole double-coated thing, lol. She does not want a big shedder. Her ex-boyfriend had a BSH mix and that cat shed insane amounts of hair every day. Needless to say, she is a bit put off with too much shedding.

the Lab tops it all (I love them but will not adopt another Lab cause they shed too much for us).
Yes, I have heard all about Lab shedding. Apparently Dalmatians are even worse.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say the RB's are low shedders. A quick combing with a flea comb once a week should be sufficient.

My Ocicat never gets combed until after his show bath and he's dry - then I will go over him

I didn't think any dog was worse then a Lab

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never had a lab, but my German Shedders were INSANE. I could make a whole new dog with their shed coats.

My Maus shed, but not a whole lot. When they are nervous and I pet them there are small hair clouds floating around though...
I also notice more hair coming off the smoke than my silvers, but I may just see that hair more.

niquejp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cant add anything valuable as my BlueGrey is 7 weeks old. She is so lovey!! Her fur is definately FLUFFY!!!! I can see where down the road shedding will happen, but hubby has a cat comb and our older ones get combed so she will too. I dont worry about it.
Anyway, my kitties name is Lady Blue. I wish this site had a place for pics I would give you all a look at her.
Allison

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by niquejp

I cant add anything valuable as my BlueGrey is 7 weeks old. She is so lovey!! Her fur is definately FLUFFY!!!! I can see where down the road shedding will happen, but hubby has a cat comb and our older ones get combed so she will too. I dont worry about it.
Anyway, my kitties name is Lady Blue. I wish this site had a place for pics I would give you all a look at her.
Allison
Is she a blue Russian? 7 weeks is awfully young for a breeder to be homing a kitten.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to see a picture too as I bred them. First of all reputable breeders never rehome kittens till they are 3-4 months old with all shots and most are spayed/neutered. RB's are NOT ready to leave home at 7 weeks old (no kitten really is).

And second, RB's are never fluffy at any time in their development. I'm suspecting this kittens is not RB at all - but a mix. As long as the kitten is spayed/neutered by 3-4 months old and loved, it won't matter if she is or isn't.

Not ALL grey cats are Russian Blues!