Russian blue cross breed

dewberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
My elderly mother has always wanted a russian blue as she loves they plush grey fur but we can't budget for the hefty price tag of a pedigree with papers.

They have at the local pet shop listed a russian blue kitt of 8 weeks old but No papers therefore it's cheaper and can afford this one.

Mum is happy with that but do u think it really is russian blue?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He seems to be a nice look alike.  I like especially the third photo. Even the eyes color should deepen with time.   Exactly what he will be in the future, we dont know, him being so young.  But the pure bred RB tend to be better and better with time.

Thus, my oldest resident was stunning already as young cat, the breeders gathering around his cage singing his praise in every note, and standing in queque to  be sure of his stud services when he would become of age.

My younger resident, his son, hadnt really good skull before he become adult.   And him being a stud was mainly because he was the successor of his father.   But all his 16 kids were stunning again.    :)

The problem here, is your mom dreams about the plush feeling of RB coat.   We cant know if this kitten will have this.

But if she wants a nice look alike, AND a nice companion, sure, go ahead.    Definitely better this kitten, than a try with some obscure  BYB breeder.

So, I would say a  YES.

But another alternative may be, if you find an adult  RB who needs a new home.  say, its owner died.   Or she is ready [DONE] with her breeding carrier - and has at least 10 years left to give joy and receive love.

Good luck!

Last edited:

leileis mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Russian Blue kittens often have "ghost stripes". These will go away as he/she gets older.

toogood80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also purchased a RB  a few months ago and he looks just like yours and the pet shop also stated he was a pure breed with papers included but I am also alittle skeptical because at his age he still does not look nothing like other RBs his age. I guess we will both will see in time lol.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got the papers with you?  Which association?   Sometimes the "papers" are really the vets health booklet.

It also depends in part on which country you are from. In some countries, yes its common they do sell cats in petshops.

But the most common, purebred cats sold in pet shops are of pet quality.    Which isnt nothing peculiar: purebred cats of good quality,  sellable as Show cats or breeding cats, they can sell themselves on the open market, to buyers who are prepared to seek them out, and pay for it.

For the most people, happy with a wonderful companion cat, this with this "pet quality" or not doesnt matter, as long as they get their loved companion.  Hopefully also healthy and sound.   :)

Good luck!

PS.  To the readers of this post:   TooGood  has also an own thread about this kitten.   All comments please continue in that thread.

Last edited:

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat.

I have a mostly Russian Blue cat. I bought a book about this breed and he has so many of the characteristics but he looks a bit like a Tuxedo cat since he has white on him.

pc nguyen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard about Russian blue in my local before. But the cat makes me remember about 1 kitten I've had. He;s Gin, he's mix from home cat & Bristish shorthair. He's smart. This's him:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Beautiful cat.

I have a mostly Russian Blue cat. I bought a book about this breed and he has so many of the characteristics but he looks a bit like a Tuxedo cat since he has white on him.
Judi.  Please show us a couple three of good pics on your   RB look alike.  I would love to see them!

Its not totally unique RB has some white on them, usually a medaljong (locket?)  on their chest.   Its of course not allowed for Show Quality cat.  I myself know a reputed swedish RB breeder who does has such a one.  So he got of course neutered, and lives happily in her household as their companion cat, and being friendly older cousin to her other cats, the queens and their kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oj, Gin was a prettie already as kitten!    :)  although I would perhaps compare him with a blue Oriental instead.   Or a RB of the american type, with his head shape.

My real question is, how are your usual home cats shaped, where you do live?   If this mix of home cat and a british looks such, they themselves must be quite alike Orientals, or " foreign type" as they said in Britain in older times.

pc nguyen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ste

Oj, Gin was a prettie already as kitten!    :)  although I would perhaps compare him with a blue Oriental instead.   Or a RB of the american type, with his head shape.

My real question is, how are your usual home cats shaped, where you do live?   If this mix of home cat and a british looks such, they themselves must be quite alike Orientals, or " foreign type" as they said in Britain in older times.
I live in  Viet Nam. In my country, her breed's called looks like " our cat" (most of the cat lives in our country is this breed).  She lives near my house and has Bristish boyfriend next door. Then she gave birth 2 beautiful kittens and I took Gin to my home.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat. Does he or she have green eyes?

I adopted mine at 3 months from the local Humane Society.