Running to litter box

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Elsa is an ex street cat, she gets scared by noises, and by people approaching her. Its not uncommon to see her running in fear. Im the only one that she allows near her.

I am home every day now and just noticed that she sometimes walks to her litter box, and other times i see her run. Not sure if its driven by her nerves, or need to pee?

How can i know if she has a UTI? Since its hard to see a vet now, should i give her a uti supplement just in case? Shes eating normally, i dont know if im just worried and imagining things. I have the litter robot 3 App I dont notice anything in the history that indicates they are using the box too much.

note: i followed her when she ran to the box, and she did a normal clump. she didnt run in and out of the box.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Depending on her age, and whether or not she has a history of UITs, it is probably just something you are noticing since you are home more. If she is relatively young and has no UTI history, just keep an eye on her. If she has had UTIs before, then you should see similar symptoms develop as in the past. Supplements are used to help ward off UTIs, but won't clear one if she has it. If she has used them in the past, you could always start them back up, just as a precaution. But, if not, I wouldn't bother at this point.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any strong odor to the pee? Any change in color? Is she drinking well? You can get litmus type litter now that shows PH change by the litter color. A litmus strip would as well but that might not indicate infection. You can check for fever. I would suggest calling the vet. It might be that you can simply drop off a urine sample and later pick up antibiotics if needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Depending on her age, and whether or not she has a history of UITs, it is probably just something you are noticing since you are home more. If she is relatively young and has no UTI history, just keep an eye on her. If she has had UTIs before, then you should see similar symptoms develop as in the past. Supplements are used to help ward off UTIs, but won't clear one if she has it. If she has used them in the past, you could always start them back up, just as a precaution. But, if not, I wouldn't bother at this point.
I dont know her exact age, shes around 5-7 years old. Shes never had issues with UTIs before. I dont normally watch them going to their litter box, so maybe its normal for her.

Do you know of any good supplements? My older cat Kitty did have a UTI a few years back and i had always thought of starting her on a supplement.

Any strong odor to the pee? Any change in color? Is she drinking well? You can get litmus type litter now that shows PH change by the litter color. A litmus strip would as well but that might not indicate infection. You can check for fever. I would suggest calling the vet. It might be that you can simply drop off a urine sample and later pick up antibiotics if needed.
I use clumping litter, and it smells the same as always. And yes, she drinks a bit of water during the day, and she eats only wet food.

I'll look into that litter and keep an eye on her, thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Staying in the litter box longer or going very often can be another clue. Hoping she is just a little jumpy. :heartshape:
ok, ill keep an eye for that, thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know of any good supplements? My older cat Kitty did have a UTI a few years back and i had always thought of starting her on a supplement.
When Feeby was having UTIs, it was determined to be from e-coli. I researched and found that pure D-Mannose is supposed to help with clearing e-coli from the bladder lining, and my vet agreed. But, as I said, once the bacteria has caused a UTI, supplements don't clear the infection. I have no idea whether or not D-Mannose helps to prevent other types of bacteria from accumulating in the bladder, but I do know other members on this site have used it.

Again, if she doesn't have a history of UTIs, I am not sure that giving her any kind of supplement makes any sense at this point. Just watch her and check for changes as noted in the above posts.