Runaround from breeder. What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virgoluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I purchased a Norwegian Forest Cat 3 years ago from a breeder that seemed reputable at the time. I was on the waiting list for that whole 3 years. Since then the website has gone done down and she messages me every month or so only recently and says she has a kitten for me but when it comes time to pick it up something comes up and she pushes the date out. The kitten is now 18 weeks old if it exists at all. What do I do? It's the endosglade cattery if anyone is familiar. I'm scared I've been scammed. I know breeders are busy but this seems to be extreme.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you pay in full, or did you payed a preliminary part charge to make an reservation?

I want to mention, when I began with purebreeds, the standard was 12 weeks, in practice its later and later. Now the standard is sooner 16 weeks...

So, I dont know nothing how it is you your case, but kittenwise, its no desperation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

virgoluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you pay in full, or did you payed a preliminary part charge to make an reservation?

I want to mention, when I began with purebreeds, the standard was 12 weeks, in practice its later and later. Now the standard is sooner 16 weeks...

So, I dont know nothing how it is you your case, but kittenwise, its no desperation.
I paid in full. It's not so much the age that bothers me it's the lack of communication and excuses for not being able to come get him. When I text it takes weeks to months for a response. Her last message she said I could come get him in December as his November neuter had been delayed due to a sinus infection but when I messaged her 2 weeks ago about a date I get no response and now it's almost January. Initially pick up was the end of October. It's just a lot of money for no communication.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there any way you can get that money back? Cancel the transaction even at this late date (3 years, oh my gosh), something? Talk to your bank and see if there's something that can be done.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I cannot find a reference to that cattery anywhere online. Where are they based?
I'm thinking you paid recently when they said they had the kitten for you, or was it three years ago?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Endelosglede Norwegian Forest Cats
Yes, I see the page isn't quite working.
You say you already paid for the kitten in advance? I'm sorry, but honestly seems you might have been scammed, though strange they would string you along for so many years. I'm pretty good at searching things online but coming up blank on this one. Not even a Facebook page.
If you are on Facebook, you might want to join some of the purebreed NFC groups. There are also some groups to find out if catteries are scammers.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a listing online for "Endelesglede Norwegian Forest Cats". The site says it's Underconstruction. A contact : [email protected]
Located in Toledo, Washington 98591.

Last edited:

virgoluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot find a reference to that cattery anywhere online. Where are they based?
I'm thinking you paid recently when they said they had the kitten for you, or was it three years ago?
It was 3 years ago. I have been on her waiting list that long.

virgoluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a listing online for "Endelesglede Norwegian Forest Cats". The site says it's Underconstruction. A contact : [email protected]
Located in Toledo, Washington 98591.
Yes, that's the one. The site has been under construction for two years now. It all looked legit when I signed the contract, it just seemed to change over the years I've been waiting.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's the one. The site has been under construction for two years now. It all looked legit when I signed the contract, it just seemed to change over the years I've been waiting.
I Did some further snooping on CFA and ACFA breeders sites. Nothing comes up. I tried looking at TICA but couldn't Access their site. That "Endelesglede " was listed under a "Shelter A Pet" heading. Maybe you could try that. Otherwise Check the Humane Society in Toledo, Washington maybe they know something . Just a guess, perhaps the Cattery folded with Covid19 situation .

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I Did some further snooping on CFA and ACFA breeders sites. Nothing comes up. I tried looking at TICA but couldn't Access their site. That "Endelesglede " was listed under a "Shelter A Pet" heading. Maybe you could try that. Otherwise Check the Humane Society in Toledo, Washington maybe they know something . Just a guess, perhaps the Cattery folded with Covid19 situation .
Out of business is entirely possible.
I looked on Pawpeds and there were a few of their cats registered on that site (which typically isn't the case for scams) but, they also were from a decade or more ago. So at some point, they were legit.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of business is entirely possible.
I looked on Pawpeds and there were a few of their cats registered on that site (which typically isn't the case for scams) but, they also were from a decade or more ago. So at some point, they were legit.
I just did another snoop On google. There was a reference To a Facebook Name "Tracy Hisel" mentioning Cattery. I'm not on FB, so further info I'm unaware of .

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just did another snoop On google. There was a reference To a Facebook Name "Tracy Hisel" mentioning Cattery. I'm not on FB, so further info I'm unaware of .
She's on Facebook but there's no mention of the cattery or, even any recent photos of cats. I suspect she's no longer breeding though really crappy of her to at minimum return your payment. If it was only a deposit, the contract may have stipulated it was non-returnable.

I did find a CFA notice for when one of her cats won a championship
Top Norwegian Forest Cats – CFA Northwest Region

Also from a TICA newsletter, mentioned way at the end of the page:
TICA January 2021 Newsletter

virgoluna virgoluna Maybe someone at CFA Northwest Region or TICA can give you more information? They would certainly know if this person is currently breeding or not.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also had a snoop, she had a picture of about 4 orientals on her lap so maybe she’s switched breeds?? *Edit* there are two photos of such and they were uploaded in January THIS YEAR.

There is mention of the cattery, but way back in 2010! It seems to be the right woman

*Edit* she’s also got photos to prove there have been litters since this photo, but only until 2012. The most recent photo of NFC is 2018, but fully grown, appears to be one she kept.
F3A79C6E-CD61-4255-BED8-A8A29B4F781E.png

virgoluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your help. I suspect the cattery folded. It really seemed legit at our first contact. I think I may have just lost my money.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your help. I suspect the cattery folded. It really seemed legit at our first contact. I think I may have just lost my money.
It happens. Normally though a cattery will notify it's customers and offer to return deposits.

I personally was on a Maine Coon list for nearly 3 years. Wound up getting one from another breeder during that time. Finally got a chance to pick a kitten but decided to wait a little longer due to the pandemic.

A few months later they announced they were closing the cattery to concentrate on other things they wanted to accomplish in life. They were extremely forthcoming about the circumstances, and were returning the few deposits they still had. I never sent a deposit, only because they had decided to stop asking for them, due to always having plenty of people to purchase the kittens. They only charged once a kitten was being reserved.

Sorry this happened to you :hugs:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will you now consider another Breed and Breeder ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I purchased a Norwegian Forest Cat 3 years ago from a breeder that seemed reputable at the time. I was on the waiting list for that whole 3 years. Since then the website has gone done down and she messages me every month or so only recently and says she has a kitten for me but when it comes time to pick it up something comes up and she pushes the date out. The kitten is now 18 weeks old if it exists at all. What do I do? It's the endosglade cattery if anyone is familiar. I'm scared I've been scammed. I know breeders are busy but this seems to be extreme.
I havent read all the posts.
The hopeful version is, its the communication are bad, with slow answering but she is sincere.

IF so, you can always write a polite, but clear message; explaining the situation; you have waited long enough.

You DEMAND an immediate answer AND delivery of the kitten, OR the payment back... If by any reason she cant deliver the promised, healthy, purebred NCO, so you will accept full refunding. (demand interest payment??)

IF not, you contact your lawyer, including demand on damages.
etc, etc... (you dont need to write what these etc are, let them be a little worried).

Something alike that. If she is honest but troubled, she will repay, or possible, beg for a payment plan... Be sure you have the payment plan in writing.

The only problem, as always, is she gives you a longhaired moggie... But there are dna tests. You can also demand her breed certificate from theirs Association they belong to. Its not peculiar, certificates are the common with purebreds. Even if it happens cats sold as pet quality dont get them; but in THIS situation you can demand this, , because you had to wait that long...

So, be polite, be reasonable, but be firm. Its she whom must negotiate for a compromise, not you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It happens. Normally though a cattery will notify it's customers and offer to return deposits.

I personally was on a Maine Coon list for nearly 3 years. Wound up getting one from another breeder during that time. Finally got a chance to pick a kitten but decided to wait a little longer due to the pandemic.

A few months later they announced they were closing the cattery to concentrate on other things they wanted to accomplish in life. They were extremely forthcoming about the circumstances, and were returning the few deposits they still had. I never sent a deposit, only because they had decided to stop asking for them, due to always having plenty of people to purchase the kittens. They only charged once a kitten was being reserved.

Sorry this happened to you :hugs:
If they closed their cattery, what did they do with the existing cats? Neuter them and let them live as their own family pets?
Because the alternative is to neuter them and find them good homes for a more or less symbolic price.

And propose buying of such adult cats to the wanna be buyers in queue. For many this would be a good enough solution.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they closed their cattery, what did they do with the existing cats? Neuter them and let them live as their own family pets?
Because the alternative is to neuter them and find them good homes for a more or less symbolic price.

And propose buying of such adult cats to the wanna be buyers in queue. For many this would be a good enough solution.
In my case, they kept 2 of the breeding cats as pets. A couple of them she gifted to another breeder who she worked with previously, to continue the lines she worked so hard on - she also gave that breeder all the names on her waiting list, in case we wanted to get in touch and purchase down the road.

All others were neutered/spayed and sold at a reduced price to prior customers she knew would take good care of them.

That final litter, actually turned out to be the 2nd to last one. She kept the final litter a secret, and only contacted a handful of people she knew had missed out previously. I was one of them but must have responded a little slower than others, as they all went pretty much, immediately. There were 5 in that litter, she kept one of them for her family.

EDIT: She's now an author! She's written a series of books (kind of gothic romance novels, not my style) and somehow even managed to get a major bookseller, and Amazon, to carry it and it's gotten decent reviews. She also is concentrating on the horse rescue work she's been doing for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.