Rubbermaid Bins

meow70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I always see posts on Facebook and what not for do it yourself litter boxes with Rubbermaid bins or some other type of storage bin. I used cement bins from Home Depot. Has anyone found that this way of creating a litter box smells worse than if you bought a box with microban or coated plastic? I believe the urine eats away the plastic and soaks in and no amount of scrubbing will help. Within a few months I have to buy all new bins because the smell is embedded in the bottom of the bin. I’m throwing out 4 I just bought not too long ago and going back to real litter boxes. Just interested if anyone has had this issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meow70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea I’m done with these. They definitely have scratches at the bottoms and that is collecting bacteria. I bought 4 of the huge boxes from Chewy and should be here Tuesday.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
that whole thread really got me thinking - I need to replace at least one of my less expensive ones as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meow70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now that I think more about it there might be some sort of chemical reaction with the amonia in urine and the pvc. Yikes. :/