Would A Litter Box Of Polyvinyl Chloride Put Kitties At Risk?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve been thinking about less expensive options for litter boxes at the sanctuary where I volunteer. They don’t replace the boxes often enough, and while I understand the budget constraints of a very small non-profit with a lot of animal care expenses (they have not only house pets but also farm animals), I’d like to see new boxes every six months for the sake of cleanliness.

I’ve found concrete mixing tubs that are only $5.75 and are huge: approximately 27.5” x 19.5” x 6”. They’d be perfect in the “group home” habitat, but they’re made of PVC. Do you think that would pose a health risk for the kitties?

Here’s a link to an example of what I’m referring to:
Plasgad Black Medium Concrete Mixing Tub-887101C - The Home Depot

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh, now I'm not sure of my methods, I don't replace the Big Guy's boxes, I just clean/disinfect them.

I guess I'm wondering what the material is that's used in the inexpensive Walmart litterboxes, or even in the underbed storage boxes that some people use. The Pet Champion X-large Cat litter box at walmart ($5.92 for my zipcode) just says the material is plastic -- so not helpful LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I think most of those regular storage bins are made of polypropylene or polyethylene and should be safe. And I think the same goes for the litter boxes. Plus those seem to have some kind of coating that makes stuff comes free from the sides and bottom more easily. I’ve never heard of any concerns there. But I’m worried about PVC.

I bought mine on Amazon for $7.99 and they were just a touch bigger, but that Walmart box looks good and that’s great price. I’m going to keep track of that one for the sanctuary.

I clean and disinfect mine, too, but over time, kitty claws scratch the bottom and urine can soak in. I buy new ones once a year. And at the sanctuary, they sometimes have as many as seven cats in the general population habitat. They do have five or six boxes but that’s a lot of kitty action!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Youre raising a really good point about urine, scratches etc. These boxes weren't made to last forever, I'll definitely have to pay more attention :)

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think they'd probably be fine. PVC pipes are used for human drinking water, so I can't imagine it would pose a health risk.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Our shelter uses stainless steel catering pans since they can be completely sanitized more easily than anything else.
Do you know where they got them and how much they cost?

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Youre raising a really good point about urine, scratches etc. These boxes weren't made to last forever, I'll definitely have to pay more attention :)
It would never have occurred to me. I read it on a thread here on TCS. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use 18-gallon Sterilite totes. They cost around $5. You have to cut a hole in them though.

Yeah, drinking water pipes are made of PVC so that ought to be fine.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I use 18-gallon Sterilite totes. They cost around $5. You have to cut a hole in them though.
Great minds, etc.! I’ve bought several of these for the general population habitat because they have a current resident who pees standing up! Perfect for that. The challenge with them is that they aren’t completely flat on the bottom inside. The sanctuary uses pellets for litter, and it’s hard for volunteers and staff to get the sawdust, both wet and dry, out of the dip. The boxes never seem completely clean to me.

I’ve been searching for something inexpensive that has high sides and is flat on the bottom for Gen. Pop. but in the meantime, I wanted to find inexpensive boxes for the FIV+ habitat where everyone (currently) pees properly. Those boxes are way too old, plus, all of those kitties are big males and need roomier boxes.