Rough/Coarse Fur Spot

olivetruffle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I had a question that hopefully someone can shed some light on. I’ve recently noticed there’s a small section of fur along my cat’s back that sticks up and feels rough/coarse. I’ve attached photos.

He’s 10 months old, up to date with all his shots, and is an indoor cat. He has no problems at all with eating, plays, and has no issues in general. I’m just wondering if this is a cause for worry. 7A68715F-51CD-4E8E-9F10-76B46E376961.jpeg 67F33CC9-C81A-4A56-8D0B-934CD16BC41F.jpeg 5CE39522-FF38-4B4E-8EDF-4723803F2CCB.jpeg 60A3427B-CD00-4146-9F99-27DFA0AACEEC.jpeg

Any advice is appreciated!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it winter where you are? Do you brush him? Have you seen him groom that area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivetruffle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m in California and it is currently winter. I do brush him 3 times throughout the day. I’ve tried brushing that area a little more than usual but it doesn’t seem to help. As for grooming that area, I’ll be complete honest and say I don’t know. I see him grooming often but I don’t really pay close attention to where :(

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might be worth a vet visit to check for parasites.

But you could encourage grooming in that area by putting a damp cloth over your finger and using your finger.

Some Omega oil in his food might also be great.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I understand what you're talking about because something similar has happened to one of our cats before and it's usually in winter. We have a humidifier on the furnace for this reason and have to increase it especially if the air gets too dry and we get electric shocks. 😲 But we live in a climate with cold winters and you mentioned living in CA - Southern or Northern? Have you noticed any dandruff on his coat? If so, this might explain some of the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivetruffle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It might be worth a vet visit to check for parasites.

But you could encourage grooming in that area by putting a damp cloth over your finger and using your finger.

Some Omega oil in his food might also be great.
I will definitely take him to the vet, I just haven’t had the chance to. I’ll give the damp cloth and omega oil a try though! He’s really food motivated so I think it should be easy to incorporate. Thank you for the suggestions!

I understand what you're talking about because something similar has happened to one of our cats before and it's usually in winter. We have a humidifier on the furnace for this reason and have to increase it especially if the air gets too dry and we get electric shocks. 😲 But we live in a climate with cold winters and you mentioned living in CA - Southern or Northern? Have you noticed any dandruff on his coat? If so, this might explain some of the problem.
That sounds pretty similar! I don’t have my humidifier running but I may have to just give it a shot. I’m from Souther California, in the Orange County area, so it’s winter “technically” but really… it’s not haha. I have not noticed any dandruff at all though. I’m just confused since the fur everywhere else is smooth.