Roommate Problems

QFar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My roommate recently moved in with her friendly male cat recently, and I am not sure how my cat is taking it.
We waited a while to introduce them and it was going okay, they usually avoided each other or just watched each other from opposite ends of the hallway.
My cat is starting to act weird. She chirps at him and acts friendly when there is a door separating them. However, when they’re in the same room, she often starts beating him.

Is this aggression? Or is this playing?

My cat had was bullied by my previous roommates cat, so maybe she’s traumatized? I’m not sure…

please help!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are they both spayed and neutered? That chirping sound is often used by female cats when they want to attract a mate, but if both cats are fixed she could be calling to him to invite him to play. When you say beating him is it very aggressive? Do they hiss or growl at each other?

Here are some articles that might help.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any time two cats meet, they have to establish a pecking order. Sounds as if your girl is doing that. She was on the bottom once, didn't like it, and is staking out her place in the blended house. That's pretty normal. READ THOSE ARTICLES! They are excellent.

And exactly what do you mean by "beating?" Swatting him repeatedly? If there is no blood on the floor, and no storms of fur in the air, this is not an actual fight. If she intended to outright hurt him, she would have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QFar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are they both spayed and neutered? That chirping sound is often used by female cats when they want to attract a mate, but if both cats are fixed she could be calling to him to invite him to play. When you say beating him is it very aggressive? Do they hiss or growl at each other?

Here are some articles that might help.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
they are both spayed and neutered! There’s no hissing and growling, but it’s just constant swatting :(

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is starting to act weird. She chirps at him and acts friendly when there is a door separating them. However, when they’re in the same room, she often starts beating him.
I agree that the chirping could be "let's play"

How does he respond to being swatted? If he's not stressed then let them be or distract her with a toy. Since she was bullied she might not know a better way to start a play session.