Rivel is being crazy brat and it's really stressing me out

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since silver got back from the hospital rivel has been acting like an a-hole.

First she hisses to silver, to me too. She avoids our usual areas and prefer to hang out upstairs. Which mostly isn't a problem.

She had similar problem when i first got silver. Won't eat, but she would eat if i feed her by hand.

This time she won't eat at all because she's being aggressive towards me. Hissed when i brought her wet food. With dry food she want to eat, but only a little too. Last full meal she got today was 8 am, with maybe less than half a a handful of kibbles in between. It's 11pm now and she's still not want to eat.

I got silver back on thursday, she started this behavior that afternoon. Last meal of Thursday was lunch at 12pm, then she wouldn't eat until 2 AM in the morning. On friday she ate on morning, noon then not eating again. Today saturday) it's getting worse. I did gave her extra portion on the morning, but i don't think it would last more than 12 hours. She's being pissy, swatting/scratching my arm whenever i offer her food. She still accept some petting if i don't bring food. If i offer her food she just "buries" it by digging around the plate.

It's driving me crazy and i don't know if she's sick or acting bratty. Because thursday morning and all the days before, even when the house is under repair she's acted relatively normal. I will contact my vet if she still won't eat tomorrow at lunch, but seriously i am sad, angry, and very anxious about this. I try to comfort her and tell it's ok, but doesn't seem working.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet smell when a cat roommate gets back from the vet can be traumatic for some cats. Have you rubbed Silver with something Rivel has slept on? Normally the recommendation is to rub Rivel with a towel and then Silver, but I wouldn't want you to try that with Rivel right now, lol. Does Rivel like being brushed? If so you could try brushing her first, then brushing Silver, then brushing Rivel again, to make their scents match up.

Don't think of her as being a brat; something is really freaking her out.

Does she like cooked chicken or canned tuna? Maybe she'd accept that. If there's any time a kitty might need a special treat, now is that time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet smell when a cat roommate gets back from the vet can be traumatic for some cats. Have you rubbed Silver with something Rivel has slept on? Normally the recommendation is to rub Rivel with a towel and then Silver, but I wouldn't want you to try that with Rivel right now, lol. Does Rivel like being brushed? If so you could try brushing her first, then brushing Silver, then brushing Rivel again, to make their scents match up.

Don't think of her as being a brat; something is really freaking her out.

Does she like cooked chicken or canned tuna? Maybe she'd accept that. If there's any time a kitty might need a special treat, now is that time.
I will try cooking chicken breast in olive oil tomorrow. Yeah silver already used shared bed, shared scratching post and rolling around on my blanket, which also both use. Silver back like nothing was even happening, it's more on the Rivel's side.

I have 3 brand of wet catfood i rotate, her favorite is usually the big salmon + Tuna kit kat brand, but doesn't work either. I will try human chicken tomorrow.

I managed to coax her to eat a little bit of kibble just now, but more than that she growled at me.

I also did separate them the first 48 hours because silver's stiches were still in place. I only let her out under supervision, but now the stiches are out, i let silver out free roam again. I guess rivel doesn't take kindly to that. Being withdrawn, or mad doesn't really bother me. She has comfortable place upstairs and she do still use the litterbox downstairs, but the lack of appetite is the one that worry me the most. Trying to get her to eat is like blowing at a hurricane. Trying too hard makes her madder it seems because she will start growling if i keep trying to get her food.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t get close to her. Just set her food down and walk away. She will get over the hissiness in a few days and in the meantime just ignore it and her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If I recall correctly a lot has gone on in the past couple of months (new cat - aka Silver, house repairs, Silver coming back after spaying), so Rivel is probably kind of still reeling from it all - never having totally gotten over one issue before another started. At this point, you might as well try getting her to eat anything that might jump start her appetite again.
  • baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
  • Tuna in water
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • Chicken or turkey
  • Rich kitten food
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food
If she likes canned foods, she might be interested in trying Sheba or Nutro Perfect Portions, possibly Tiki Cat Mousse - all seem to be pretty well liked by most cats. Even some of the lickable treats could be worth trying - Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix, Wholehearted, Vitakraft, and Inaba Churu, just to name a few.

Here are the TCS articles on non-recognition aggression and re-directed aggression in case you might find any helpful tips in them.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. If I recall correctly a lot has gone on in the past couple of months (new cat - aka Silver, house repairs, Silver coming back after spaying), so Rivel is probably kind of still reeling from it all - never having totally gotten over one issue before another started. At this point, you might as well try getting her to eat anything that might jump start her appetite again.
  • baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
  • Tuna in water
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • Chicken or turkey
  • Rich kitten food
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food
If she likes canned foods, she might be interested in trying Sheba or Nutro Perfect Portions, possibly Tiki Cat Mousse - all seem to be pretty well liked by most cats. Even some of the lickable treats could be worth trying - Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix, Wholehearted, Vitakraft, and Inaba Churu, just to name a few.

Here are the TCS articles on non-recognition aggression and re-directed aggression in case you might find any helpful tips in them.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Yeah. Ceiling collapsing while we were sleeping, silver getting spayed, construction, that might be too much for poor kitty brain.

She's eating breakfast as usual, but that's maybe because i opened a new can and she can be finicky when she's under stress. I will see how she ear during lunch later.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay today is a lot better. She actually come down on her own and meow me for food and she's eaten her breakfast, lunch and dinner with no problems.

She's hissing less to me and silver. Thank god. Again, i get being upset, but her tantrum by hunger strike is driving me crazy because i keep worrying if she will get sick.