Risks of neutering a 19-month old male cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never had trouble with a cat neuter (dogs, on the other hand. . . :rolleyes2: ). There is a very very very small chance that he'll mess with the surgery site or get an infection. So it is something you should keep an eye out for, but chances are very high that he'll barely notice at all.

Have you figured out if he can stay in the garage or a pen? It's best if he can stay confined for at least a day or two (but not a dealbreaker if he can't). If the garage gets very hot that may not be an option though.
That's awesome! I feel much better! Thank you!

We have a carport and it's not enclosed. He likes to stay in there. Honestly, I think he'd be more apt to get an infection in there. LOL. My grandparents/neighbors have an enclosed garage that is pretty clean. I know they wouldn't mind if he stays there for a day or two but my mom, I know would say otherwise. There's a fan in there and it can get very, very cold. As cold as one of those big freezers if you wanted. I have a rabbit pen (wire) it's pretty small, though. I have put him in there before but not at length. I also have another rabbit pen but it's significantly smaller.
Just to answer your question, about 2 of my animals over the years have ever used a cone. I think that the above advice is all well taken. Probably small chance of infection but you do have to watch and possibly confining over night is the best idea. It is what I do for ferals.
Okay. Thank you! Y'know what? I may just buy a large pet taxi to put him in overnight. It'd be clean.