Risks of neutering a 19-month old male cat

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I'm planning on neutering my 19-month-old male cat and would like to know the risks as well as what I'll need to know about caring for him after the operation. I read that he'll need to stay inside after the surgery. He's an outdoor cat and my parents won't allow him inside. Is there an alternative? Would he be okay in a fenced-in yard?

Thanks in advance!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neuters are quite simple procedures, the main risk is post-op infection. Can you keep him in a cage indoors or in the garage for 3 days or so? That will get him past the main infection risk. If not, that's ok; male ferals are released right away, but you'll have to watch him extra carefully for signs of infection.

There's always a small risk with anesthesia, but if he's healthy it's an extremely minimal risk at his age.

There's not a lot you have to do for a neuter. Just keep him caged or indoors at least overnight so the anesthesia wears off (some vets keep them overnight) and keep a close eye on the incision for signs of excessive bleeding or infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I could keep him in a closed in garage or I could put him in a pen. Will he may to have his stitches removed? Or are they the stitches that just disintegrate?

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, okay. That's what I was thinking. I think my vet would. Thank you!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen, or really even heard of, needing to have sutures removed from a routine neuter, but, yeah, do ask the vet to be sure.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, thank you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have released ferals who had no hope of being kept any longer than it took to be fixed and come back home and everyone was fine. I do leave them overnight at the vet's though after the surgery which means you pay for the boarding. Usually a rescue who does spaying/neutering does not have that availab.e

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, okay. Thank you!

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There has been a slight delay but I am trying to get him an appointment next week. Will he need a recovery cone?

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
None of my cats, boys or girls, have ever needed a cone. They come home, they go about their business, and they have been fine. I feel like a cone would almost cause more trouble.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Most of my animals never use cones after any procedure but that is because no one ever seemed to be interested in the surgical site. Neutering is not a big procedure, so you don't have a scar like you would with spaying. It does depend on your cat however.

I do agree that if an animal really hates the cone, it can become another issue entirely.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My clinic does not use sutures, or even skin glue, for cat neutering. They just compress the incision together with their fingers and that's it. None of my cats have licked the area afterwards, no blood dripped out without sutures and the side was healed within a few days.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
None of my cats, boys or girls, have ever needed a cone. They come home, they go about their business, and they have been fine. I feel like a cone would almost cause more trouble.
Yeah, I was thinking that it would be more trouble than anything. I just have a feeling that he'd lick it.
Most of my animals never use cones after any procedure but that is because no one ever seemed to be interested in the surgical site. Neutering is not a big procedure, so you don't have a scar like you would with spaying. It does depend on your cat however.

I do agree that if an animal really hates the cone, it can become another issue entirely.
Most? What about the others? As I said above, I just have that feeling that he'd bother the incision site but I know that he'd HATE a cone.

Yeah, there shouldn't be a scar but that doesn't really bother me.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking.
My clinic does not use sutures, or even skin glue, for cat neutering. They just compress the incision together with their fingers and that's it. None of my cats have licked the area afterwards, no blood dripped out without sutures and the side was healed within a few days.
Yeah, I watched a video of a cat getting neutered on YouTube and the vet just smushed it back together. Pretty gross. That's good! What do you think the chances are that it could get infected?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are able to keep him out of the dirt for a few days, in a relatively clean area, then chances of infection are low (but never none). If you think he is going to lick at the area, and a cone is not an option, you can try a cat onesie, but only if he is to be kept confined. The whole not licking thing is relative, I believe, with castrations, as the wound isn't as sever or penetrating as a spay, so though it is not ideal, as long as he isn't aggravating the wound, there is no extensive need to worry. Others might say differently though...

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He can't stay inside so I don't know what to do about that. Does anybody have any suggestions? Would a cat onesie cover the incision site? Thank you!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had trouble with a cat neuter (dogs, on the other hand. . . :rolleyes2: ). There is a very very very small chance that he'll mess with the surgery site or get an infection. So it is something you should keep an eye out for, but chances are very high that he'll barely notice at all.

Have you figured out if he can stay in the garage or a pen? It's best if he can stay confined for at least a day or two (but not a dealbreaker if he can't). If the garage gets very hot that may not be an option though.

NishthaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there, can you help me with mY cat's sutures. She got a C-section surgery due to some complications in delivery. Her incision is pretty long. The upper stitches seems to heal properply but the stitches on her lower belly stays moist and are coming out again and again..they have been redone multiple times but they doesn't seem to heal. Today was the 7th day and 4 stitches Of her lower belly came out as they were still moist..please help

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Just to answer your question, about 2 of my animals over the years have ever used a cone. I think that the above advice is all well taken. Probably small chance of infection but you do have to watch and possibly confining over night is the best idea. It is what I do for ferals.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there, can you help me with mY cat's sutures. She got a C-section surgery due to some complications in delivery. Her incision is pretty long. The upper stitches seems to heal properply but the stitches on her lower belly stays moist and are coming out again and again..they have been redone multiple times but they doesn't seem to heal. Today was the 7th day and 4 stitches Of her lower belly came out as they were still moist..please help
Hi, if you would like to start your own thread and add some pictures, there are lots of people on here who would be happy to help, including me 😊