Ripping Cardboard?

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New male rescue kitty (now with us for over a month!) has recently started ripping and chewing all cardboard he can find. He just finally discovered his cardboard scratching box I bought him a month ago and he wont stop chewing and ripping up the edges. I did a quick search about this and everything I am finding says that he is bored. But we play with the kitty NONSTOP when we are home and he has lots of toys around that we play with together as well as he plays with by himself.

Is he really bored? Or why is he chewing all of a sudden?!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While it seems like most/all cats appreciate chewing on cardboard occasionally, I have one who cannot let any cardboard go unshredded. I just can't have any cardboard in the house, except specifically to amuse her. So it's just normal for some naughty kitties. I don't know why he started doing it all of a sudden, but maybe he just discovered the joys of cardboard shredding :D.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time cardboard chewers don’t eat what they bite off, they spit the pieces out. I think this is something that just feels enjoyable, kind of like the way us humans can’t resist popping bubble wrap. And the beauty of this cardboard entertainment is that when it gets too damaged it’s cheap to replace.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that does this all the time. He has the best time ripping chunks out of any cardboard box! I check and don't think he is eating any, seems to just rip and spit the pieces out! I think for him it is just fun! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I guess I was just worried that he was eating it.. but I keep finding the pieces all over the floor so I dont think he is eating the box! Just makes for a messy clean up.. lol