Ringworm

kendalcm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've started one other thread here about my kitten (Scout) who ended up getting her eye removed, and we're finally over that, and she's getting to be around the other cats and have free roam of the house like a normal cat, and I felt like the storm was over... And then BAM my other cat's asthma is flaring and now my 1-yr-old cat (Luna) has ringworm. It's always something....
So I noticed Luna losing hair between both eyes and ears. I treated it at home with some sulfur cream (nustock). I was trying to give the vet a break from us cause it feels like we were there constantly with Scout. The spots got better and grew new hair, and then they got worse and turned pink. I shined a black light on her and the little hair shafts lit up green. So we went to the vet. Her light was stronger and showed green spots in her ears also where they were inflamed looking. So we went home with a bottle of itraconazole and instructions to do a pulse treatment (week on, week off) for 3 rounds. She told me to get some otc antifungal cream and follow the directions for the lesions.
The more I read, the more I thought I should proceed with lime sulfur dips as well and also some miconahex shampoo.
She is quarantined in my son's bathroom, and she is so miserable. She cries constantly and seems depressed when I go in to medicate her. She is my cuddliest cat and helps me so much with anxiety and panic attacks by laying on my chest purring, so I'm worried about what this will do to her personality. She is my one cat who had never had a vet visit other than shots and spay.
So the source of this is a little complicated. I was the first to show a spot on my arm that started as a scab and turned into a beautiful little circle afterwards. And with Luna being so cuddly she probably got it from me. But where did I get it? The vet said there can be asymptomatic carriers, but she said with Scout being so young and immunocompromised it would've definitely showed up on her. So I have this kitten that showed up in the woods with both eyes shut. We fed her from afar and her eyes opened but looked off, so we thought she was blind. When she got tame enough we took her in for shots and worming. Anyway, long story short, her eyes are fine now, and she now comes up to my door asking for food every day, gets under the hood of my vehicle, etc. I've brought her in to bathe her twice I think, but none of the other cats got near her. So the vet thinks that maybe I got it from her even though she has no symptoms. From what I've read she could've been carrying spores around in her hair that hasn't penetrated her skin to cause lesions.
Fast fwd to now... I have some questions about treatment protocols.
-Can I bathe Luna in miconahex, let it sit 10 min, and then also dip her in the lime sulfur? Should I alternate days?
-Her spots are on the skin right on her eyes. How do I treat that without hurting her eyes? They look so red and puffy. And I told my husband her eyes "look dead" like she's just miserable.
-Should I dip or shampoo Marina and Scout?
-Will Marina's asthma be flared by these chemicals?
-Will Scout be okay with it just being a few weeks post-enucleation?
I know these are probably vet questions, and I'll call them tomorrow, but I'm going to bathe Luna in something today. I just don't know which one or both, and I don't know how to get her eyes.
Sorry for the long-winded post, but this is just overwhelming, and Marina had sarcoptic mange when I first got her, so she had quarantine time and medicated baths and weekly shots. But she was my only cat at the time, and those little mites don't live as long as this fungus in the environment. So at first I was like "thank God this isn't the mange at least", but now I'm rethinking that statement.
Again, sorry for the long post. There are just a lot of factors at play, and I want to explain everything the best I can. Thanks for any help.
Pics 1 & 2 are Luna before this sh**storm. Pic 3 is Noelle (the possible rw host) under the hood of my vehicle. And, yes, I check the hood every.single.time I leave the house.
20180923_093423.jpg
20180923_093438.jpg
20180923_093403.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All I know for sure is, you should dip her when her fur is DRY, so don't shampoo her then wait 10 minutes and then dip her. I think personally I would just use the lime sulfer dip twice a week. But ask your Vet tomorrow on that. For today though I would use just one of them.

As far as her eyes, I saw one youtube video where they actually put some type of ointment in the cats eyes before they started the dip, and I think that was strictly to keep any of the dip out of the eyes. I gathered it was strictly a precautionary measure, although they didn't really talk about that in the video. But as they were then doing the dipping that did reiterate NOT to get the dip in their eyes or mouth (keep it out of their mouths because it must taste awful is what they said). In that video that actually put a soft cone on the cat so he wouldn't lick himself as he was drying off naturally, since you also have to let them "air dry". And they used a sponge to try to get as close to his eyes as possible (from behind) without actually getting anything in them. They kind of tilted his head backward.

They do say if you have multiple animals in the house to treat them all at the same time. Whether or not the chemicals will have an adverse effect on the other two I cannot say. Definitely a question for your Vet.

Did you see this article? Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight The video at the very end is a training video for Shelters, but at around the 1 hour mark she talks about treatments, if you're interested.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:that you're soon worry free in your household!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kendalcm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All I know for sure is, you should dip her when her fur is DRY, so don't shampoo her then wait 10 minutes and then dip her. I think personally I would just use the lime sulfer dip twice a week. But ask your Vet tomorrow on that. For today though I would use just one of them.

As far as her eyes, I saw one youtube video where they actually put some type of ointment in the cats eyes before they started the dip, and I think that was strictly to keep any of the dip out of the eyes. I gathered it was strictly a precautionary measure, although they didn't really talk about that in the video. But as they were then doing the dipping that did reiterate NOT to get the dip in their eyes or mouth (keep it out of their mouths because it must taste awful is what they said). In that video that actually put a soft cone on the cat so he wouldn't lick himself as he was drying off naturally, since you also have to let them "air dry". And they used a sponge to try to get as close to his eyes as possible (from behind) without actually getting anything in them. They kind of tilted his head backward.

They do say if you have multiple animals in the house to treat them all at the same time. Whether or not the chemicals will have an adverse effect on the other two I cannot say. Definitely a question for your Vet.

Did you see this article? Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight The video at the very end is a training video for Shelters, but at around the 1 hour mark she talks about treatments, if you're interested.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:that you're soon worry free in your household!
Thank you for the response.
I did read that article and some of the 35 pg thread about it and also the cleaning article, but I never saw the video. I will go back and watch it now that you pointed it out.
I'm just confused as to why my vet didn't recommend any additional treatment besides the oral and otc cream. Maybe it's because it was only around her eyes. But she's definitely getting worse, and I can tell she's miserable. Our week off of itraconazole starts tomorrow.
I will have to ask the vet or Google the eye ointment for dipping. I have a cone already from my previous ordeal. And duh I forgot they were supposed to be dry when dipped anyway, so my plan wouldn't have worked.
Thank you so much for all the info. I'm going to try to find that video, because I haven't seen a whole lot of info addressing ringworm so close to the eyes. They say to keep everything out of the eyes, but it's literally the skin surrounding her eye ball that is pretty inflamed.
Definitely giving the vet a call in the morning to ask about these things.
Thank you for everything. Now off to watch some videos. :lovecat::geekcat:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is the video link for the one where they show purring in some ointment before starting the tip:

kendalcm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the video link for the one where they show purring in some ointment before starting the tip:
Awesome thanks. I just listened to the first video at the hour mark. So basically we only have one half of the equation with the itraconazole, and she didn't say anything about antifungal creams, just lime sulfur. So I'm going to watch the next video about the eye situation. Thank you so much! :rock:

DatWormLife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if you can get lime dip, do it. It is gross, but works miracles. My 18 year old cat has ringworm that rapidly spread ALL OVER his body in the time it took to get a vet appointment. He is too old to get itraconazole so it has just been twice weekly lime dips, and his hair started growing back within three weeks. Just make sure to use an ointment to keep it out of their eyes if you have to treat the face area.

kendalcm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if you can get lime dip, do it. It is gross, but works miracles. My 18 year old cat has ringworm that rapidly spread ALL OVER his body in the time it took to get a vet appointment. He is too old to get itraconazole so it has just been twice weekly lime dips, and his hair started growing back within three weeks. Just make sure to use an ointment to keep it out of their eyes if you have to treat the face area.
I have some. I actually just bathed her in the antifungal shampoo yesterday and rubbed some crusties off, so today I will dip her. As far as the ointment goes, would a medicated one be okay? I have vetropolycin and terramycin on hand.

That's awesome that the dips worked so well for y'all, even without oral medication. That gives me hope that this is what we're missing. Did you have to quarantine him and do some major cleaning? I'm going to ask my vet today is I can safely dip my other 2 just as a precaution.

Thank you for the advice and encouragement! And so glad your cat made a full recovery so quickly. I'm hoping we'll be on our way once we start these dips.:happycat:

intertwangled

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Sneya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've started one other thread here about my kitten (Scout) who ended up getting her eye removed, and we're finally over that, and she's getting to be around the other cats and have free roam of the house like a normal cat, and I felt like the storm was over... And then BAM my other cat's asthma is flaring and now my 1-yr-old cat (Luna) has ringworm. It's always something....
So I noticed Luna losing hair between both eyes and ears. I treated it at home with some sulfur cream (nustock). I was trying to give the vet a break from us cause it feels like we were there constantly with Scout. The spots got better and grew new hair, and then they got worse and turned pink. I shined a black light on her and the little hair shafts lit up green. So we went to the vet. Her light was stronger and showed green spots in her ears also where they were inflamed looking. So we went home with a bottle of itraconazole and instructions to do a pulse treatment (week on, week off) for 3 rounds. She told me to get some otc antifungal cream and follow the directions for the lesions.
The more I read, the more I thought I should proceed with lime sulfur dips as well and also some miconahex shampoo.
She is quarantined in my son's bathroom, and she is so miserable. She cries constantly and seems depressed when I go in to medicate her. She is my cuddliest cat and helps me so much with anxiety and panic attacks by laying on my chest purring, so I'm worried about what this will do to her personality. She is my one cat who had never had a vet visit other than shots and spay.
So the source of this is a little complicated. I was the first to show a spot on my arm that started as a scab and turned into a beautiful little circle afterwards. And with Luna being so cuddly she probably got it from me. But where did I get it? The vet said there can be asymptomatic carriers, but she said with Scout being so young and immunocompromised it would've definitely showed up on her. So I have this kitten that showed up in the woods with both eyes shut. We fed her from afar and her eyes opened but looked off, so we thought she was blind. When she got tame enough we took her in for shots and worming. Anyway, long story short, her eyes are fine now, and she now comes up to my door asking for food every day, gets under the hood of my vehicle, etc. I've brought her in to bathe her twice I think, but none of the other cats got near her. So the vet thinks that maybe I got it from her even though she has no symptoms. From what I've read she could've been carrying spores around in her hair that hasn't penetrated her skin to cause lesions.
-Can I bathe Luna in miconahex, let it sit 10 min, and then also dip her in the lime sulfur? Should I alternate days?
-Her spots are on the skin right on her eyes. How do I treat that without hurting her eyes? They look so red and puffy. And I told my husband her eyes "look dead" like she's just miserable.
I know these are probably vet questions, and I'll call them tomorrow, but I'm going to bathe Luna in something today. I just don't know which one or both, and I don't know how to get her eyes.
Sorry for the long-winded post, but this is just overwhelming, and Marina had sarcoptic mange when I first got her, so she had quarantine time and medicated baths and weekly shots. But she was my only cat at the time, and those little mites don't live as long as this fungus in the environment. So at first I was like "thank God this isn't the mange at least", but now I'm rethinking that statement.
Again, sorry for the long post. There are just a lot of factors at play, and I want to explain everything the best I can. Thanks for any help.
Pics 1 & 2 are Luna before this sh**storm. Pic 3 is Noelle (the possible rw host) under the hood of my vehicle. And, yes, I check the hood every.single.time I leave the house.
View attachment 254038 View attachment 254039 View attachment 254040
View attachment 254038 View attachment 254039 View attachment 254040

Dermatophytosis in cats: Recent evidence-based recommendations, Part Two

My mishu has just been diagnosed with ringworm and I freaked out the whole week.

But then I decided to read up on Dr. Moriello’s latest research and feel a bit relieved.

I completely understand how you feel about Luna as Mine is the same. I isolated her in my room but I couldn’t really bring myself to not sleep with her since she has just recovered from jaundice four weeks ago and was hospitalised. I also have a puppy for the past six weeks and I have been following hand hygiene and precautions to prevent transmission to the pup.

The pup’s vet is not concerned and is happy for me to continue with 1-2 weekly baths with Melasab.

I have not contracted the infection either considering it is day 7.

Please have a read at the article. It’s about the latest evidence available for dermatpphyte management and hopefully that will help you.

There is also part one for the same article and you could find that on the same website if you search: ringworm environment.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would only dip or shampoo, not both. But if you are worried about getting it in her eyes then the cream and oral med should be fine. My 6 got ringworm a few months ago and i couldn't get the lime sulfur dip for them. They had grisofulvin tablets and lamisil cream, they recovered fine. Ive also heard great things about silver being used as an antifungal. I would make sure you deep clean the rest of the house, including curtains, upholstery etc and keep a close eye on the other pets. Make sure you wash thoroughly after treating the one with rw and change clothes if she sits on you etc to prevent the spread. Good luck.