Ringworm Questions - New Kittens

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of adopting two new rescue kittens (each, about 3 months old). They are arriving next weekend and the girl (it's a girl and boy) is getting fixed today.

The rescuer told me today that the girl had ringworm (was being treated for it) and now she noticed it on the boy. She said she's giving both oral meds and will give a bath to the boy (because the girl is getting fixed, she obviously isn't giving a bath to her).

My questions: Do I need to quarantine them when they arrive in my house? I live alone and have no other pets. I'm concerned that the ringworm might get on bedding and the the carpeted scratchpost/climber I bought for them. As well as other furniture. Or should I just cover the chairs/scatchpost climber/furniture with blankets and wash it daily? Or is that overkill?

I saw a video online that said that kittens with ringworm should be quarantined (but the rescuer in the video had many other cats).

Also, any other treatment I should be doing--or is there anything else I should be doing--so they can heal as quickly as possible?

Thanks for all responses. This is my first time with kittens. And, my first time with two cats!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, you'd want to quarentine them still in an easy to clean area. Ringworm can be transmitted to humans so you'll also want to be careful in handling them. Not that you should avoid them but gloves and washing hands.

Tea Tree oil works really well on humans for ringworm BUT is deadly to cats. The best treatment option is one perscribed by a vet with follow up to ensure they are are clear.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd make sure that they are no longer contagious, and go from there. If they aren't shedding spores, you're home free. Your vet can tell you. DO keep them confined to ONE ROOM until you know! Cleaning up after ringworm is labor-intensive, and in this case, an ounce of prevention is worth SO much more than a half a ton of cure!

I'm going to give you links to a couple of our excellent articles on managing ringworm, both on the cats and in the home.

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

Keep us posted on how things go!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I will keep them in the bathroom (with a cat bed that's got a blanket over it that I can clean/replace every day).

Should I replace the litter every day and clean their litter box with a bleach solution?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd make sure that they are no longer contagious, and go from there. If they aren't shedding spores, you're home free. Your vet can tell you. DO keep them confined to ONE ROOM until you know! Cleaning up after ringworm is labor-intensive, and in this case, an ounce of prevention is worth SO much more than a half a ton of cure!

I'm going to give you links to a couple of our excellent articles on managing ringworm, both on the cats and in the home.

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

Keep us posted on how things go!