Ringworm Confirmed! The Cleaning Begins.

mercer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So with my other post, it turned out to be ringworm because the vet finally called back! Thankfully he's already been getting anti fungal baths and medicated wipes for nearly a week and will have antibiotics today as well! There's been no real "un-improvement" as the scabs really just appeared and the only he scratches is the ear one.

And we will have his soft e-collar delivered tomorrow!

We're going to give him a bath and strip down the bathroom. Then we're going to leave him in the bathroom to dry and relax while we change clothes and strip the bedroom to clean (we already power cleaned the rest of the house and isolated him to only our room and bathroom). While everything is being washed with disinfectant, etc, and the room is done, he can come back and chill.

We have all the disinfectant spray in the world, bathroom cleaning substances with bleach, all that fun stuff.

And then I guess do this again in four to five days, as recommended by a friend's mother who has dealt with ringworm in the past.

Any other tips or tricks since it really appeared out of nowhere and it's been a week since initial treatment of the hot spots and condition without knowing what it actually was?

P.S. I'll post updates every few days of Sonny's condition. His behavior has never changed, neither has his appetite or anything like they. He still is dealing with some diarrhea issues but is now burying it again. It's literally just the hot spots which is why we didn't take much concern but absolutely do now! Wish him luck too. He's a fighter.

IMG_20171017_113235.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mercer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have it under control to me!
I mostly feel bad and incapable of fixing this or even putting it under more control because... I'm having a bit of resistance when it comes to getting help from my own s/o. I don't know what makes it clean enough, if it's actually clean, how much I have to clean, and whether or not I can even do this. I feel straight up awful because a part of me can't even think more than a day ahead of "Christ, I'm going to be doing this for weeks, probably months." and I sure as heck don't feel ready for that. This was a condition that came as a surprise we weren't even ready for or anticipating when we brought him home from the vet.

skrinkle

Cat mom
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat also has ringworm, and my advice would be to continue the cleaning kitty weeks after it goes away! We thought we got rid of it, and then a few weeks later it came back in the exact same spot.

mercer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we have our cleaning regime and disinfect every surface we have him on during medication wipes. I pulled off all the loose fur and detached scabs so I could get right to the skin and root of the hot spot. I don't know if this is recommended but the fur and scabs were matted and gross.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you have a moment between cleaning and disinfecting bouts, let us know how things are going.

mercer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you have a moment between cleaning and disinfecting bouts, let us know how things are going.
Haha, things definitely seem better. I don't know what the difference is between healed and healing, but it's really only been just over a week and a half. His scabs are gone or picked off and nothing is bleeding or really too nasty-looking. He only scratches at his ear that seems completely healed over and some fur is coming back, but I can't say the same for the other hot spots I caught later.

He no longer has running poops, but they definitely still smell rank (when is that abnormal?). It's only when he eats too much in one sitting so I've made his portions smaller through the day (2 - 3, afternoon, midnight, and morning if I'm awake).

Wobblescat3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So with my other post, it turned out to be ringworm because the vet finally called back! Thankfully he's already been getting anti fungal baths and medicated wipes for nearly a week and will have antibiotics today as well! There's been no real "un-improvement" as the scabs really just appeared and the only he scratches is the ear one.

And we will have his soft e-collar delivered tomorrow!

We're going to give him a bath and strip down the bathroom. Then we're going to leave him in the bathroom to dry and relax while we change clothes and strip the bedroom to clean (we already power cleaned the rest of the house and isolated him to only our room and bathroom). While everything is being washed with disinfectant, etc, and the room is done, he can come back and chill.

We have all the disinfectant spray in the world, bathroom cleaning substances with bleach, all that fun stuff.

And then I guess do this again in four to five days, as recommended by a friend's mother who has dealt with ringworm in the past.

Any other tips or tricks since it really appeared out of nowhere and it's been a week since initial treatment of the hot spots and condition without knowing what it actually was?

P.S. I'll post updates every few days of Sonny's condition. His behavior has never changed, neither has his appetite or anything like they. He still is dealing with some diarrhea issues but is now burying it again. It's literally just the hot spots which is why we didn't take much concern but absolutely do now! Wish him luck too. He's a fighter.

View attachment 200681
Oh the joys of ringworm! I had a foster kitten that brought it into my house, FYI, there isn't really any good way to get rid of the fungus on fabric surfaces. My poor guys were passing it around for a few months. It's best to keep the infected pet on bleach able surfaces for the entire duration of treatment, I was lucky as a vet tech I was able to get all the treatments pills/dips/etc at cost, good luck!

mercer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it's been 10 days since the medication I was given from the vet has been applied (daily) to Sonny. His tail and back leg seems healed, but I can't tell if the skin peeling on his head and elbow is a good sign or that it's spreading? It's very hard to tell. After every bath, I used the flea comb to gently scrape off dry skin or what seemed to be scabs hanging off and he doesn't seem bothered. Now I just wonder what's up.

20171106_012910.jpg
20171106_012930.jpg

Photos above but probably not the best? Skin is peeling away from the hot spot, skin I wipe off after it soaks a little in warm water or because of his applied meds. His ear seems very dry and peeling and apparently there's a bit of a scrape from his minor scratching.

Otherwise? Things are a lot better.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give your vet a call and let them know. And ask if there is an email for you to send photos. My own vet allows me to do this, and it sometimes saves me a trip in (and I have to go with H. in her carrier by cab!).