Richard Is Ill

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mustardandbologna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it green? Can you send that pic to the vet? Maybe you can let them know your situation to see if they can suggest anything for the next two days?

Can you get some large non stick pads and then possibly some light wrap? Treat it sort of like a collar where you can get two fingers around it but have something around it that he cant get at?

The non stick pads wont absorb the ointment so it will stay on his neck.

I know this must be horrifying for you, I'm so sorry that you are enduring this as well as Richard having to go through it.

<3 hugs to you.
Thank you so much for the kind words. They are very much appreciated.

Yes, some parts of the wound were greenish before I cleaned it last night. There is no foul odor, warmth, redness, or any other sign of infection, however.

I have been irrigating it daily with warm saline, but until the supplies I ordered arrived yesterday, I was leaving it uncovered. I am now using medical-grade honey on a nonstick absorbent pad, then loosely wrapping his neck with gauze.

His appointment is today at 3. I am pretty scared about what we are going to hear.

Has anyone seen ANYTHING like this? As I mentioned, it appeared spontaneously, no history of trauma or fights with my other cat. It has not bled at all and does not seem painful to touch, which leads me to suspect that the skin is dead before it sloughs. The area hasn't grown since Saturday, but initially even gentle cleaning with saline caused more skin to come off.

My poor guy.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, some parts of the wound were greenish before I cleaned it last night. There is no foul odor, warmth, redness, or any other sign of infection, however.

I have been irrigating it daily with warm saline, but until the supplies I ordered arrived yesterday, I was leaving it uncovered. I am now using medical-grade honey on a nonstick absorbent pad, then loosely wrapping his neck with gauze.

His appointment is today at 3. I am pretty scared about what we are going to hear.

Has anyone seen ANYTHING like this? As I mentioned, it appeared spontaneously, no history of trauma or fights with my other cat. It has not bled at all and does not seem painful to touch, which leads me to suspect that the skin is dead before it sloughs. The area hasn't grown since Saturday, but initially even gentle cleaning with saline caused more skin to come off.

My poor guy.
Please keep us posted on what the Vet says about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mustardandbologna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We helped Richard cross over to the Next Place this afternoon. The vet diagnosed feline fragile skin syndrome (FSFS) a rare and devastating dermatological disease. The vet thinks it may have been a manifestation of a disseminated lymphoma caused by FeLV. It was horrifying to watch. He definitely let us know that he was ready to go.

A basic overview of FSFS can be found here (warning, graphic images): Skin fragility syndrome - Cat

I am devastated. We are going to miss him so much. He knew he was loved.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We helped Richard cross over to the Next Place this afternoon. The vet diagnosed feline fragile skin syndrome (FSFS) a rare and devastating dermatological disease. The vet thinks it may have been a manifestation of a disseminated lymphoma caused by FeLV. It was horrifying to watch. He definitely let us know that he was ready to go.

A basic overview of FSFS can be found here (warning, graphic images): Skin fragility syndrome - Cat

I am devastated. We are going to miss him so much. He knew he was loved.

So sorry that it had come to that and you had to make that difficult choice today. I am sure he knew he was loved and you cared and kept him as long as you comfortable could. He had a home when so many would've just given up on him and you gave him happy times. Rest in peace sweet boy. :redheartpump:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bawling2: :bawling:

:vibes::hugs: :grouphug2: :alright:
Remember, Richard was rescued. He was loved, and he knew it, and you did that. Now is the time to grieve, because grieving is how you take care of yourself after such a devastating loss. I'll post more about that later; I'm sure this thread is about to be closed because that's the custom on TCS. You may want to post more about Richard and his life in Crossing the Bridge.

Margret

Last edited:

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My poor guy.
I am so sorry. =[

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss.
Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.