Revolution Not Killing Fleas?

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else here had any experience with Revolution not working on their cats lately? I've been using Revolution on our four indoor cats for the last few years with excellent results. A few years ago, the Frontline I was using just suddenly stopped working, and we had the worst flea infestation ever in our house! My sister told me about Revolution, so I tried that, and it not only killed the fleas on the cats, but also eliminated all of the fleas in the house as well, as the cats were magnets to them, and they all eventually got a dose of Revolution when they attacked the cats. Now we're going through the same thing again a few years later with Revolution. Is there another product that would work? I think it's been about four weeks since their last treatment.

Help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Mamany1953.
I will be calling the vet tomorrow. Revolution for four cats isn't cheap... especially when it doesn't work!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Revolution on one of my cats and I've never had fleas. I used to use it on my dog too, but it doesn't protect well against ticks so I switched him to k9 advantix 2 and heartgard plus.

And my other cat seemed to have a reaction to Revolution, so I only used it on her once, but she doesn't go outside, so I don't really treat her with anything.

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first time I used Revolution on our cats, it was wonderful. It not only got rid of the fleas on the cats, but all of the fleas in the house disappeared as well. The only thing it doesn't work on is ticks. It kills a host of other parasitic nasties, such as ear mites and heartworms etc. though. But now we are seeing fleas everywhere and on the cats despite the fact that I put Revolution on them three weeks ago. I treated them on or near July 7th. I will be callling the vet about it tomorrow. Our cats are not outside cats, either.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Die evil fleas die!!! OK now that that is out of my system. Fleas can build up tolerance to any flea medication. We had advantage resistant fleas last summer. :argh: I now use Cheristin. By all means try a different flea medication. Also be sure to kill the fleas in your yard (the evil bastards hibernate through winter... it doesn't kill them.)

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked to two different vets, and they both said basically the same thing. They hadn't heard of anyone saying Revolution wasn't working, and if we haven't been keeping Revolution on the cats all along, a flea infestation can occur, even with indoor cats. They both recommended "bombing" the house, but we alsohave birds, and we have nowhere to take the birds and cats even if we did use a bomb, and I don't want that mess all over everything I own. They also said that Revolution will take several months to work with the flea infestation, even as long as a year!!! :(

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Die evil fleas die!!! OK now that that is out of my system. Fleas can build up tolerance to any flea medication. We had advantage resistant fleas last summer. :argh: I now use Cheristin. By all means try a different flea medication. Also be sure to kill the fleas in your yard (the evil bastards hibernate through winter... it doesn't kill them.)
How do you kill the fleas in the yard?

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The way we got rid of a bad flea infection, and completely eradicated it about a month ago, is weekly Capstar treatments over a 2 month period, and steam mopping our wood floors. Furthermore washing all sheets and blankets from the beds they lay on in hot water. We now have ZERO fleas. Fwiw, our cats are indoor only cats.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I use but they make a few products you can use. Some are spray some are pellets. (We get cross over fleas from under the wooden fence connecting our yard to our neighbors yards with dogs.)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Precore 2000 works very well. It is available through Amazon, and is a spray. You can take the animals out of a room, spray it, wait a couple of hours for the spray to dry and fumes to dissipate, then move on to the next area, moving animals as you go.

Lilawala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone else here had any experience with Revolution not working on their cats lately? I've been using Revolution on our four indoor cats for the last few years with excellent results. A few years ago, the Frontline I was using just suddenly stopped working, and we had the worst flea infestation ever in our house! My sister told me about Revolution, so I tried that, and it not only killed the fleas on the cats, but also eliminated all of the fleas in the house as well, as the cats were magnets to them, and they all eventually got a dose of Revolution when they attacked the cats. Now we're going through the same thing again a few years later with Revolution. Is there another product that would work? I think it's been about four weeks since their last treatment.

Help!
I am having the same problem with Revolution not working. It used to be great for years and the past two treatments have been useless. I have one outdoor/indoor cat, and indoor cat and a dog (on nexgard and no flea dirt on her or her bed). I have both cats on revolution and I feel like it hasn't done anything even right after treatment. I have treated my yard, my house and have been a nut vacuuming counting down the days to use something other than Revolution. I am keeping my outdoor one in because he doesn't stay in the yard. Two vets at my practice day use Bravecto but the reviews scares me. Any suggestions what to try this weekend? Also one vet, not my usual, told me I can dose the cats 2.5 weeks after revolution treatment. Has anyone heard of that?

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am having the same problem with Revolution not working. It used to be great for years and the past two treatments have been useless. I have one outdoor/indoor cat, and indoor cat and a dog (on nexgard and no flea dirt on her or her bed). I have both cats on revolution and I feel like it hasn't done anything even right after treatment. I have treated my yard, my house and have been a nut vacuuming counting down the days to use something other than Revolution. I am keeping my outdoor one in because he doesn't stay in the yard. Two vets at my practice day use Bravecto but the reviews scares me. Any suggestions what to try this weekend? Also one vet, not my usual, told me I can dose the cats 2.5 weeks after revolution treatment. Has anyone heard of that?

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had that same problem with Frontline a few years ago, and we had a terrible flea infestation. I haven't experienced Revolution not working, but since it's the middle of winter, I haven't been putting anything on our four indoor cats, and haven't seen any fleas. I'm sure the fleas will show up with spring. The vet said that fleas build up resistance to flea treatments after a few years and it won't kill them anymore. I wonder if switching back to Frontlline would work?

Lilawala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Maybe I will give it a try. I appreciate you responding

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can also ask your vet. Good luck!

Lilawala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I've already spoken to them and don't want to try Bravecto or stay on Revolution which was their suggestions. I guess I can ask for some other recommendations. Thanks again!!!!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone using Revolution or Advantage, then have it stop working. called the manufacturer? If so, tell us their response.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once thought I had run into some mutated super fleas. I thought my cheap flea stuff had stopped working. That the fleas had become immune. (the drops I use cost about $5 a month)
So, I put 10 gallons of water in a 15 gallon tub. Added way too much flea and tick dip to the water. Bathed the cat with flea shampoo, then with dawn, then with the flea shampoo again. He was in that tub more than 30 minutes and when I finished, the water looked like wine. Dark burgundy red (from what they call flea dirt). I stopped counting dead fleas at 200.
Dumped it all out, cleaned everything up, re-filled the tub, and right back into the water he went!
After the 2nd bath, I found just a few fleas and the water had nothing more than a very slight redish tint. Assumed the red, and the fleas....came from the 1st bath since I didn't use "fresh" rinse water.
Cleaned it all out and ONE more time! Clear water and just a couple fleas.

The following weekend, the same bath turned up over 100 fleas, and clear water.
Those were new fleas. Not immune fleas.
So, I treated him with the same old spot on stuff I had and confined him to a 100% positive flea free area, away from the house.
One week later, he had no fleas.

Since then, I'm very skeptical of there being any flea poison immunity occurring.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you basscat. You make an excellent point I think it is most likely that in in the cases where Revolution treated cats are being deflated, but the cats are picking up new fleas from the environment rugs, in-between couch cushions, etc).