Revolution Not Killing Fleas?

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
The last time I had Revolution "not work" it was because I was depending on it to do too much, I think. It killed the fleas on the dogs, but not in the environment properly. Ended up evacuating and bombing the house, Capstar weekly and switched to Seresto on the dogs. Much better now. Revolution is a good maintenance tool for our fosters but if they come in with fleas, I Capstar as well. It's too bad because Revolution is so expensive, but it does other things well, so I guess I shouldn't complain that much. But in the future I don't think I will recommend people using it on dogs. I like the Seresto collars a lot

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seresto is about the only thing I know of that REPELS fleas (and ticks). The other products don't do anything to keep fleas/ticks off of your cat. They are designed to kill fleas after they bite your cat.
I think Seresto collars are awesome. However, I'm not sure how Seresto kills fleas since it repels them. Never understood that.
I do know for sure, that if your cat can handle a Seresto collar, there won't be ANY fleas or ticks on kitty.
As for Revolution, Advantage, etc not working? Is like saying Irish Spring isn't working because I get dirty again. Fleas are like dirt. Every time a spot-on treatment kills one, two more take it's place. And the theory is, eventually, it will kill them all and there will be none to replace them. The key there, is, "eventually".......ugh

Last edited:

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Seresto collars on my two owned cats, and I love those too.
I didn't know they repelled--thought it was just the same active ingredient in Advantage--but in a low-dose long-term form. But I certainly haven't seen any ticks.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Seresto collars on my two owned cats, and I love those too.
I didn't know they repelled--thought it was just the same active ingredient in Advantage--but in a low-dose long-term form. But I certainly haven't seen any ticks.
Yeah, it's supposed to repel. They say ticks/fleas don't bite. Which is what makes Seresto about the only stuff that will prevent flea/tick borne diseases. All the others require a bite.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not believe the topical treatments, such as Advantage or Revolution require the flea to bite before being killed.

terrim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not believe the topical treatments, such as Advantage or Revolution require the flea to bite before being killed.
ThatsT precisely how they work. All the spot treatments go between their shoulder blades so that
1) they can't lick it, and
2) it can enter their bloodstream (you do know everything that goes on your skin enters your blood, and thereby all other organs, right?)

The fleas bite, drink the poised blood and VOILA! Death!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Frontline's website, it says the fleas do not have to bite to die.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also checked that bite claim. According. to Bayer, the manufacturer, Advantage kills by contact. No biting required. And it does not enter the cat's body. It stays on the skin.