Revolution for 100% indoor cats?

mamakittysa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could you please explain your comment about the Weruva cat food? Has there been something wrong with it?  I can't find any information on this.  Thx. 

shfergu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
   You are very right to ask these questions.  I've always had 100% indoor cats, and have never medicated (no shots beyond their kitten ones and the rabies required by law ---- no wormers/miticides/etc.), except for the very occasional use of Advantage for a flea outbreak every couple of years in summer (fleas were brought in from the garden on my clothes, I guess).  They've never needed anything else. 

Tell your vet that your cats don't need Revolution (beneficial only for several kinds of worms -- but NOT tapeworm, note).  Your cats aren't going to get worms from your clothes!

The best course is as few medications as possible (just as for us humans), and this position holds without regard to expense.  A vet who routinely prescribes stuff that the animals don't need should be LOST (and shot!)!

P.S.  I have recently adopted a homeless kitten, who has to live outside in my garage and garden (long story as to why).  For him, I give a monthly Frontline (for fleas and ticks), and an occasional Revolution, for the (potential) worms.  If I ever see a sign of tapeworm in his bedding, I will get inexpensive but very effective pills from the vet.  (But only if I see the evidence.)

jabalong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, just joined as was Googling this topic.

We have three indoor cats (the oldest being six years old) and we've always used Revolution. Our vet sells it, but isn't pushy about it, he told us there were different options, but he likes Revolution since it covers a wider range of things.

Being indoor cats, he said we could do the treatment now and again, but no need to do it all of the time. We'll always do the full three-month treatment as directed (and discussed in earlier posts), maybe do it once or twice a year.

One thing I've long wondered about is the best time of year to do it. Think the vet once said in the spring since that's when the season for the insects starts up. That said we live in a sub-tropical climate (Hong Kong), so I'm thinking the season for these bugs runs most of the year. Anyone have thoughts on this? It would be a similar climate to somewhere like Florida.

We now have a new wrinkle in that we've added a dog to the mix (a Miniature Schnauzer). He's got an annual heartworm injection, so think we only need flea & tick prevention, and will go with Frontline Plus and a constant basis (that's the plan anyway at this point). Frontline doesn't contain permethrin, so figure it's safe for cats to be around.

The question though really is does this mean we need to ramp up our treatments of the cats even though they are indoor-only, since they'll now be in regular contact with our outdoor dog? And if the answer is yes, I'm wondering what frequency - do they now need to be on a monthly treatment perpetually? Or should we just keep doing what we've been doing it and ramp it up only if a problem arises?

EDIT: Forgot to mention one thing - the dog's flea collar. Still not sure if he needs a flea collar if he's being treated monthly and bathed weekly. And if it is a good idea, then I'm wondering about adverse effects of the dog's ever-present flea collar. Anyone have insight on this?

Last edited:

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in the piney woods of southeast Texas and since I basically live in the pine belt, there are millions of mosquitoes where I live. When the sun starts setting, if you're outside, the mosquitoes will drive you indoors.

I have a 16 year old cat that is strictly an inside cat and has been all his life so he has no fleas. He gets Revolution on the 15th day of every month and I get it from our vet. He gets it to prevent him from getting heartworms from getting bitten by any mosquito which carries this malady. Since he's an inside cat, how can he get bitten since he never goes outside?

The alcove where the front door is located is a haven for mosquitoes. We're always spraying to kill the mosquitoes that congregate there. We never use the front door to get into or leave our home because of the ever large presence of mosquitoes. Since we have an attached garage, we enter our home through the door from the garage to the kitchen. Even though we always check to see if there any mosquitoes around the door since we find them in our garage, every now and then we find one in our house and that mosquito always likes to bite me first since they're attracted to me. We both know the mosquito came through this door.

So for me, Revolution is "preventive maintenance" for our (my) cat since I'm his "favorite" and I always look out for his needs before my own needs.

Last edited:

soshoppin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very much agree with your response and have had similar experiences. I have committed to a few vets that seemed very competent, costing me (over last 7 years) an obscene amount of $$$-all in $3-$500 increments. Indoor cats (2) no fleas-NONE, pushing pills, flea treatments, vaccines -always always VACCINES-& Science Diet-which makes my cats sick.

Only once, have I been to a Vet who started with bloodwork, full check-and cost next to nothing. Thankfully, my kitties' original "Foster" mom dragged me to this amazing Vet. Was astounded at the experience. He pushed for NONE of these unnecessary, expensive treatments and was happy to see healthy, happy, well cared for animals. No fleas, ticks or anything else.

This month, I relocated. Kitty had a rash. Vet Pushed HARD and I caved to: Advantage Multi, Revolution, steroidal pills, steroidal liquid, roundworm & tapeworm pills.

Now-what is most upsetting is that the Vet found NO FLEAS, TICKS, MITES, WORMS or anything in skin or in stool tests. But, they were itchy and one had a rash. Of course I paid for tests of everything.

I was itchy, too. And am fairly certain we are all allergic to dust mites or some other common, but otherwise unfamiliar environmental element yet to be found and cleaned away.

Prior to the visit, I used Flea Busters (highly recommend), changed litter & then food in hopes to resolve the issue.

My point is this-the Vet RARELY, if ever knows a dang thing about what will work or what the problems are. It's a toxic load they push in hopes (expensive, liver destroying) of treatment.

Go with gut. It's not right to treat for fleas-when there are none. Science Diet is a supporter of financial aid for Vets & maintains relationships with them, along with these chemical/medical/pharmaceutical companies.
So, we get string armed to over medicate from an industry "lobbyists" of sorts.

These meds shorter the lives and health of animals and since cancer is such a fast growing problem, we should all question this over medication with little or no purpose, other than "good intentions" (guessing) which we, as owners are best at, or financial gain.